Air Canada's on time performace is bad.

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by why fly, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Wow I am surprised AC has this on their web site when they are doing so poorly? I wonder if it was from years ago when they had a better on time performance.
    http://www.aircanada.com/en/about/otp/index.html

HAWAIIAN AIRLINES 95.4 1
    ALASKA AIRLINES 89.3 2
    UNITED 85.9 3
    US AIRWAYS 84.7 4
    MESA 84.4 5
    AIRTRAN 83.8 6
    CONTINENTAL AIRLINES 83.4 7
    FRONTIER 82.5 8
    SOUTHWEST 82.1 9
    SKYWEST 81.7 10
    PINNACLE 80.9 11
    ATLANTIC SOUTHEAST 80.7 12
    AMERICAN 80.3 13
    EXPRESS JET 79.5 14
    AIR CANADA 78.4 15
    AMERICAN EAGLE 77.3 16
    JETBLUE 77.0 17
    DELTA * 76.3 18
    COMAIR 74.6 19

2. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why would you be surprised?

3. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kudos to them for updating and not hiding numbers which are less than stellar. Now, about that actual on-time performance ...

4. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed - transparency is often good. I have been pleased with the on-time performance of the flights I personally have been on and in the end when it is not as on-time as AC could have wanted I have not found it a hardship. No big deal really, a few percentage points here or there.

As long as they get me there in one piece, to me that is the most important thing.

5. Well lets hope AC works to improve this being this low is nothing to be proud of.

6. En-Route
    Original Member

En-Route Silver Member

Status Points:
    Likely Jazz flights screwing up the numbers

janyyc likes this.
  7. interesting calin is going to give the Union bonus for one time performance. WOW must have been easy numbers to get a bonus

8. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Strange, because 90% of my AC flights are on time. Those that aren't are delayed because of weather/bird strikes etc. Usually QK flights. ;) I was shocked looking at stats from my FlightTrack iPhone app. FRA-YYC only on-time 60% of the time! Never been delayed eem slightly for me... :)

9. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    I find most of my AC flights are on time with one exception...AC602. I only take it on Mondays, but damn it always seems to run late. Some days it's due to de-icing, other days it's for no apparent reason (although I'm sure there is one). I now tell my clients that my arrival time is 45 minutes after the scheduled time. At least it's consistent I guess.

10. Well statistically speaking it should be 78% of the time. :) In general I find AC tries to get the international flights out on time.

11. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I just meant that I must be lucky! :)

12. I feel that way also? I very seldom get delayed with AC however they really are slow with Bags in yyz. They had improved from a few years ago and now they seem to have gotten sloppy again :( UA moved its bag handling away from AC for that reason and wow we get fast bags now. However i really have reduced my flying with AC. this month I have lots of flights with AC lets see how them do. Cant stop flying them when they make pricing errors.

13. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is from the 3rd quarter of 2010. In previous quarters they performed much better, but I am not sure if there were any outstanding weather delays in Canada that may have affected their performance.

This past winter (well 2 major storms in the NE), I noticed the US-based airlines cancelling flights outright instead of dealing with extended delays -- a response to the Jetblue (and others) debacle of a few winters ago.

I think its a good thing AC is transparent on this matter. As for whence they were last #1 on OTP may be back in 1994 (there is an archived media release about it). (Cue the 'I wasn't even born then' post! [​IMG])

OK, I am stretching the truth -- AC had on-time performance of about 86% in 2008 and was on top of the charts in Q2 (and maybe Q3) of that year.

14. i assume canceled flights dont count? Also another way of making the flights on time is adding lots of padding however than means you leave the flights longer at a gate so you lose efficiency that way? AC has been trying to make a profit but scheduling planes better and perhaps this has been hurting on time performance. Its does not seem to have helped profitability that much.

15. nighthawk
    Original Member

nighthawk Silver Member

Status Points:
    And so it begins...

16. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't start it! :p

tomh009 likes this.
  17. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1.

18. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    You know, you're supposed to like instead of doing +1 here... ;) (and on another note, please like me... :D)

flying-gal and tomh009 like this.
  19. interesting you would not want something on AC public web site posted.

20. Personally, I'd rather the flight be cancelled then go through a Jetblue debacle....

ACMM likes this.
  21. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    That I can agree with JimYUL. Put the control back to me.

JimYUL likes this.
  22. Exactly. I'll figure myself out, but don't leave me on a tarmac.

23. Sorry, I don't get it. What do you mean? (Seriously)

QSG likes this.
  24. QSG
    Original Member

QSG Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you look closely, all the big players have their commuter/connector airlines affiliates broken out separately. So why wouldn't AC do the same thing?

25. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    very true. i checked flightstats info on Jazz and their OTP is around 60%.