Air Canada Super Elite Status

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by TheSandman, Feb 16, 2017.  |  Print Topic

1. TheSandman

TheSandman New Member

Status Points:
    I have been an AC 100K status holder for 7 years. As of January, it has been nearly impossible to get an upgrade. It seems AC is selling off every available seat, particularly with the auction system.

I have called the SE Concierge and they have told me I am not the only one complaining. I specifically asked how many passengers were upgraded on flights I was denied an upgrade on. For 3 flights in question, the answer was one.

All this despite my requesting an upgrade 14 days in advance only to be waitlisted. I then tried to book a business class seat and saw a number of available seats. Within 30 minutes of making a request, I got an email inviting me to bid for an upgrade.

It was clear that AC is waitlisting it SE customers even when an upgrade is requested at the earliest possible opportunity.

On February 1o, I called about another waitlisted request and asked why I could not get an upgrade at the time of the request even though there were 5 seats available in the business cabin.

Seems that had an impact as the next day, my flight was upgraded. AC needs to hear from its frequent flyers. I understand its efforts to monetize available business seats but if even 100K flyers can't get an upgrade, what is the benefit of giving all my business to AC?

racermmc, mtlfire and tomh009 like this.
  2. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree the auction system is there to sell seats and avoid free upgrades. That gives AC cover over SE upgrades that allows them to say they are actually selling those seats.
    However, I am on my third flight in a week and all three were upgraded immediately at booking. I have a latitude pass. These were long haul NA flights.
    What were your destinations.

Also don't forget that everyone is now loaded up with new upgrade certs for 2017 and those with lower status can use certs plus an up charge to get theirs. Some people, like myself still have 2016 certs to get rid of before Feb.28.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  3. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    People are typically using up the previous year's certs in January-February so the upgrades are always harder to come by. That adds to the reductions resulting from the last-minute sold upgrades.

Still, I managed to upgrade both ways on YYZ-SFO-YYZ (including proper international J on the redeye return) from Flex fares.

P.S. Welcome to InsideFlyer, Sandman!

YULtide and londoncalling like this.
  4. londoncalling

Status Points:
    I am also upgraded on a SFO/YYZ flight in a 320 in a few days.

5. Toz

Toz Member

Status Points:
    Thank you TheSandman for this info. Looks like I am not the only SE.
    I have 137 eUpgrade credits about to expire at the end of this month, and won't be able to do anything with it. Frustrating.

YULtide likes this.
  6. londoncalling

Status Points:
    Welcome aboard Toz. if you are not a SE and buying latitude fares it sometimes is pretty hard to get upgrades and as mentioned above there are too many certs available at this time of year with a mix of 2016 certs and 2017 certs all being available to use. What routes were you trying to use them on?

YULtide likes this.
  7. Toz

Toz Member

Status Points:
    Thank you londoncalling. I have been an SE for the past 5 years, and usually purchase premium economy, mostly flying between Canada and Asia or Europe. I guess there is more demand for upgrades on such longer flights, but it wasn't like this a few years ago.

mevlannen likes this.
  8. londoncalling

Status Points:
    HKG is almost always full up front long before the flight. PVG is sometimes open and with the new flight from YUL there have been some seats available. PEK has been open a lot lately.

mevlannen and YULtide like this.
  9. En-Route
    Original Member

En-Route Silver Member

Status Points:
    londoncalling makes a valid comment. SE and latitude fare purchase is a combination that will maximize your ability for the upgrade. Million miler or 2 or 3 million miler just makes it that much better

mevlannen likes this.
  10. Toz

Toz Member

Status Points:
    Got it. Thanks!

11. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, then.

Four days to go, and my SE card gets turned into a fridge-magnet. I anticipate that as an up-and-coming TW25 (short for Teeny-Weeny), the card shall be pre-printed on a piece of cocktail napkin, in black and white, with colouring and lamination suggestions.

Anyway, retirement is what it is, and the concierge gave me a nice little box of Rogers' chocolates as a send-off for the season. What's not to love with that?

12. londoncalling

Status Points:
    I tried that retirement gig several years ago and got such itchy feet I am now doing close to 300K miles per year and having fun. Most travel is to Asia and Europe. Enjoy your down time but maybe you should have a retirement event and invite us to sample all your great cooking. :)

tomh009, The Lev and YULtide like this.
  13. Kevinf8

Kevinf8 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also find ICN is full up front whereas it didn't use to be and HNR and NRT are also more packed than before. I haven't been on AC's new YUL - PVG so maybe there's open upgrade space on that new route.

londoncalling likes this.
  14. londoncalling

Status Points:
    I travel almost monthly to China and I see so many variations of open seats on each route. Sometimes PEK is sold out a week or so ahead of the flight date and sometimes its one of the others. One thing for sure is that always hoping for an upgrade needs a lot of flexibility seat watching.

Toz likes this.
  15. racermmc

racermmc New Member

Status Points:
    I have been a platinum member on American Airlines for years and for the first time I let my membership lapse due to the fact that the perks and upgrades are not there anymore so I will go for the best price and convenience.

Toz likes this.
  16. customdirect

customdirect Active Member

Status Points:
    I am also planning to let my AA Plat go. I have barely used it for upgrades since in many markets, P class fares are available for a few dollars above the cost of the 500 mile "take a chance certs". Now with the new Platinum Pro tier, I can not imagine ever getting an upgrade again on AA. I am lifetime 1k on UA but it's tough to use UA out of DFW, my home city.

17. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm flying to LHR in 10 days, and will wait list for an upgrade as soon as I can, but just received an invitation to bid on one. So I wonder if there will be any seats available for upgrading the old fashioned way? I'll find out in three days.

londoncalling and Toz like this.
  18. Toz

Toz Member

Status Points:
    Same here, on a flight to CDG. Let's see what happens.

YULtide likes this.
  19. londoncalling

Status Points:
    Too bad you are not flying EX: YYZ to LHR as there are lots of open J class seats on most flights these days. I was on 859 yesterday and after the upgrades came aboard there were still 8 open seats in J.

YULtide likes this.
  20. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll remember that next time I go to LHR. Transiting YVR this time.

21. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Update. I am now waitlisted for an upgrade. We'll see what happens next week.

londoncalling likes this.
  22. londoncalling

Status Points:
    Here is the current J seat availability next week as of right now:
    27th=2
    28th=7
    29th=5
    30th=6
    31st=7

YULtide likes this.