Air Canada Rouge??

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by UA/Travel_!_Junky, Apr 15, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. UA/Travel_!_Junky

UA/Travel_!_Junky Active Member

Status Points:
    Ok guys I have an award flight from MBJ-YYZ, YYZ-YVR, YVR-ANC. My concern is the MBJ-YYZ and YVR-ANC segment because its on Rouge. Even though I am in business I see that its basically a coach seat with the middle blocked off. Do any of you have any good/bad experiences with rouge? I am tempted to switch the booking to a UA award if possible.

2. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't flow it - yet - but the more I read about it, the more AC Rouge sounds to me like FR product.... maybe worth it if it's very cheap but not a good use of hard-earned miles....

YULtide likes this.
  3. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flown a few times in Rouge Y class and I avoid it if I can. Seats are really cramped. I have a flight in their version of J in two weeks, so I'll report back.

YULtide likes this.
  4. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless they've started to upgrade their planes, on the 319's.... J is economy with a little more leg room and no one in the middle seat.

londoncalling and YULtide like this.
  5. LittleYHZ

LittleYHZ Member

Status Points:
    I just booked a trip to vegas with lots of bounce downs because I wanted to avoid rouge... Like the plague. Though I do have to fly it on a 767 the next week though I am told that is not so bad as long as you are in J class.

YULtide likes this.
  6. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do let us know your impressions.

londoncalling likes this.
  7. En-Route
    Original Member

En-Route Silver Member

Status Points:
    319 J cabin is OK. Row 2 and 3 better for carryon storage . Emergency equipment and staff bags use space in overhead bin for row 1.
    767 J cabin is compact and seats uncomfortable. Anything other than bulkhead is preferred.
    Menus are mainline style . Food as good or bad as mainline
    Zero interest in flying Y cabin.

8. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just flew MCO-YYZ on a Rouge 319 in "J". Seats are equivelant of premium economy on AC in terms of space. Bulkhead row may actually have slightly less room for long legs because you can't stretch under the seats in front of you. Service was very good, with food, bar, etc. equivalent of J on AC transborder flights. FAs are generally younger than AC.

On flying in the back of the plane, I agree with Kevin O'Leary who commented:

“the worst experience I’ve ever had in my life on an airline.”

“For every hour you spend on Rouge, you lose two years of your life expectancy,”

Some of my travel companions, particularly one friend who is over 6", complained that his back was sore for two days after his inbound flight - I can understand why given the small distance between seats and that the recline puts the seat in front of you right in your face making it virtually impossible to comfortably use an iPad or laptop on the tray table (let alone enjoy your meal purchase!).

J was ok...but the seat shouldn't command the same premium J does on the mainline....this was a reward flight (25,000 miles plus $69.80 for a one way).

YULtide likes this.
  9. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    In Rouge Plus (equivalent to mainline priority seating) the legroom is actually quite all right -- and the seat width is the same (it's still six abreast on the A319). But pity the poor souls who don't book the "plus" seats ...

10. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately there are a lot of poor souls, with only 12 "Plus" seats on an A319.

11. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    24 "plus" seats on A319s without Premium, but mere 6 on A319s that do have Premium. 767s have between 14 and 35 "plus" seats.

YULtide likes this.
  12. superangrypenguin

superangrypenguin Silver Member

Status Points:
    I LOVE Rouge. Seriously. There's so much hate towards this product. Sure, I'm usually in Rouge Plus or PR, but I find the service much better on Rouge than on ML. I can fly YYZ LAS in J for next to peanuts, as opposed to the ML product. The 767 PR service is actually spec'd as a PY product, but on a 319/321, it's spec'd to be a J product. Sure, I lose 1" of legroom, but I prefer the iPads over the grainy IFE's that are on the AC fleet save for the 787s.

mevlannen and YULtide like this.
  13. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Penguin:

How are the bulkhead rows for space?

sofasurfer and YULtide like this.
  14. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't say I dislike rouge either.

Kinda curious how you are flying for next to peanuts? Upgrades?

YUL-LAS in J is the same price as it was before with mainline. Didn't get cheaper with rouge?

15. superangrypenguin

Status Points:
    Yes, upgrades. I do have route information in my head regarding prices before and after routes got rouged, but I promised the AC employee that I would not disclose any sensitive information, so I won't. :) //sorry.

mevlannen, mtlfire and YULtide like this.
  16. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I fly LAS a lot from YUL. Without knowing your inside information ;). I can safely state that a few years ago it was 600-700$ one way in J. Rouge now shows about 900-1000$. At least its a real J seat, but I did it for a few trips with the old rouge blocked out middle and it was exactly the same price as mainline a few months before the conversion.

UA is still in the 600-700$ range, Delta is $550.

17. superangrypenguin

Status Points:
    To be fair, I did not mention anything regarding 3x3 with middle seat blocked vs 2x2 in J vis a vis prices :)

mtlfire and mevlannen like this.
  18. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    At drinks yesterday with one of the basses from our choir, the topic of Rouge came up. He'd booked an el-cheapo vacation fare from YVR>Hawaii, and had been quite horrified by his experiences aboard el-Rougo.

I did ask him whether he'd ever willingly fly Rouge again, and the poor chap shuddered. I bought him another beer.....

YULtide likes this.
  19. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    When the alternative is to fly via SFO so one can take United......

mevlannen likes this.
  20. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    YULtide:

Great minds think alike! I strongly recommended UA via SFO to him, with the usual caveats that SFO itself was perhaps the third-most disorganised airport in the world (next to PEK and EWR).

YULtide likes this.
  21. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have always liked SFO

mikeschu, mevlannen and YULtide like this.
  22. superangrypenguin

Status Points:
    AC Rouge J > UA F > AC Rouge Y (plus on a 319) > UA Y > Rouge Y (non plus)

That's be the order for me (again, on a 319, never have flown the 321 or the 763)

mevlannen likes this.
  23. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bump.

I've been rouged on YVR-SAN. Bought a ticket via UA, have the AC PNR. No seat assignments, and clicking on the link to select seats tells me I can't do it.

For those who have experience, how much does it cost to get out of jail Y- and into a better seat?

24. superangrypenguin

Status Points:
    Do you have status and can book a preferred seat (e.g. Rouge Plus?) for free? If not, it depends on your fare and what the lowest J fare is, and then you can pay the difference and sit up front.