Air Canada is thinking about India AGAIN.

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by why fly, Jun 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    If air India becomes part of star alliance as they are threatening to do, watch ac pull right back from this plan and simply codeshare....but air India still has to prove theyre ready for star alliance. Being in bankruptcy does make it easier.

2. IF Star let in TAM anyone can qualify :)

Lufthansa Flyer and Flyer1976 like this.
  3. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do like your choice of words.

I think AC or AI will have to operate the Canada-India routes. The Indian diaspora is fairly large in the GTA and events like the Bollywood/IIFA have shown there is a market for this route (along with the India cultural center set to open in Toronto in the next year or so).

4. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Stories are that STAR is pissed off with AIR INDIA's delays at meeting the membership requirements so this may not occur.

As for AC starting up service to India again, how does that saying go about the definition of insanity is...?

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  5. I just laugh at AC saying its going to Indian again after the last fiasco. Do they think India is going to forget it was all over the papers there? AC was in the news all the time for left luggage and nonstop planes that stopped.. I did the flight twice however I was smart enough to pick the 345's even though they had the Velcro slip and slid J seats. I love India, a great country to visit, and shortly it will switch from a CO to UA flight from EWR-DEL and life will be good again. {use SWU}

6. AC_Flyer

AC_Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if this is all about keeping their existing landing rights. I think AC has 7xW flights into India. Wonder if EK is making noise claiming AC is not utilizing them... etc etc...

7. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's it to EK? AC would also have 7 slots in the UAE but has not used them under any reciprocal treaty because there's next to no indigenous UAE-Canada-UAE traffic to be had. Considering both JET and AIR INDIA fly between Canada and India (AI via the UK) there's plenty of lift to that country that EK doesn't have to camel nose its way in.

8. QSG
    Original Member

QSG Gold Member

Status Points:
    AC should make up it's mind what it wants to be as it has lost it's way trying to be everything to everybody! It could start by re-positioning itself as a Asia -South America airline and get Canadian Immigration on board to make transit without a visa possible for more nationalities ! And AI flies non-stop to YYZ !

TRAVELSIG and canucklehead like this.
  9. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm.. well this will be interesting- I agree with QSG read on things that AC should make up its mind what to be. My understanding is that even with high loads it is very, very difficult to make a profit flying N.America to India. Also- where are the aircraft coming from?

canucklehead likes this.
  10. AC_Flyer

AC_Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with your analysis. EK has close 200 weekly flights into India. I am sure they have a good marketshare of the India - Europe, North America Market share. The key problem for AC is whether it can compete with the likes of EK and other ME carriers. AC would like to get a good share of the Canada-India market, however without a competitive financial structure for the market, it is very difficult for them to make money on that market. I had seen some ppts a few years ago that they would like to launch Canada-DEL and Canada-BOM with the arrival of the 787s. However I wonder if someone wanted to see if this is still possible.

It may be a method for AC to put out the feelers out there to see how the public and other airlines are responding to comment like the above.

11. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    They originally routed via the UK.

12. QSG
    Original Member

QSG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Stop living in the past, SH!

13. QSG
    Original Member

QSG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why would AC want to put feelers out...they have access to all the numbers, and why would any airline be worried as they have been driven from the route at least 3 times !

14. AC has just 2 flights to HKG and CX has 4 to Canada, 5 in the summer. CX will have an amazing new J seat and thats really going to kill AC business sales.
    Canada is going to have new refugee rules shorty and that should help with visitors and all airlines will benefit. Less onerous Visa rules can be instituted after refugee rules are fixed.

15. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    I dunno about this. All they are doing is sinking, right? ;) :D Anyways, I would like some love to the WEST, AC. You are a national carrier. It really upsets me how YYC has a flight to FRA & LHR (last year we had two to LHR in the summer), and sometimes NRT. Heck, even YVR only has LHR, not FRA. It is not very nice.

QSG likes this.
  16. The govt needs to close Edmonton to get more nonstop flights from Calgary.

Exit Row likes this.
  17. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Which nonstop flights from YEG is YYC going to take? The one to LHR? All the ones that AC currently operates to the US? Maybe the nonstop YEG to Asia flights?

18. AC's two flights to HKG each day are pretty much sold out all year round. They fly to PVG, 2 times a day and PEK as well almost always sold out. All told five flights per day to China. AC also plans to put the 787's on most of those routes whenever they arrive.

19. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    A few months ago I had dinner with a loyalty program executive that had just taken a job with Grupo Aeroplan to run operations in India. He had given notice but was staying on at his previous employer for a few months. This pretty senior and very savvy guy was confident that there were real plans for India expansion. I believe that the company believes they're serious, regardless fo whether it all comes together eventually or not.

canucklehead likes this.
  20. I don'tt get that logic. AC is an international carrier and thus must always be looking for new routes wherever they maybe. They have plans, if the 787's ever arrive, to fly to JNB,SIN,DEL(plus other Indian Cities).

They have also been considering Tehran, Beirut, other Cities in China and someplace in Eastern Europe.

These are all places Canadians fly to or where there is sufficient family/tourist travel.

21. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely AC needs to find routes or frequency increases where they can grow.
    The 787- when it arrives- will provide much needed capacity growth- however this is not happening today or tomorrow.
    Routes like SIN and DEL have been marginal previously- perhaps that is changing now? I have never understood the SIN bi-lateral agreements etc however they must be a touch complicated or we would see a bigger SQ presence in Canada?
    The CP flight to BKK also used to be quite popular- however without the stopoff in HKG my understanding was it was not profitable (you probably have much better data than me).
    Latin America would seem also to provide a ton of potential- booking a flight to GRU even at full fares is often very difficult to get space.
    Beirut also seems interesting.
    Central/Eastern Europe? I don't have any data to understand how that would be preferable to the current LH agreement on revenue sharing ex-Canada transatlantic. Would a nonstop command enough of a premium and be able to fill consistently?
    Well.. enough route planner for me today- let's wait for the daily nonstop to VCE and I'll even get my SE status back?
    It would seem logical to fill "second tier" China cities demand first. Does AC fly to TPE non-codeshare by the way??

22. Air Canada has had real plans for India twice, they just failed. Lets see if marketing is up to the challenge this time.
    Third time lucky?

23. AC didnt fail. When they decided the 345's did not fit their fleet profile India was off the map. They said at the time they would resume flights when the 787's came on line.

24. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recall having notepads and pens in 1991 that read "Dehli welcome back!" with the Air Canada logo on them. The 345 fleet profile was not the only time AC ventured to India. Back to the subject- where are they going to get the aircraft from for the next 3 years?