Air Canada is adopting a new five-zone policy

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by ACMM, Nov 15, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    For years, airlines have struggled to figure out best way to board a plane. Air Canada is adopting a new five-zone policy designed to simplify process. Air Canada is set to roll out a new five-zone boarding system in early December in time for the holiday travel rush, after ruling out other methods including free-for-all boarding, and boarding those without roller-bag carry-ons first.

Link to full article: http://www.thestar.com/business/201...opts_new_boarding_policy_with_five_zones.html

2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Note the comment from Andrew whom many of us know and some have had the pleasure of meeting in the past.

3. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think AC needs to make one more move to make boarding more efficient. The showing of ID and the slow take up of the bar codes by their scanners is also a factor. In FRA and other LH Cities the pax simply scans his Boarding pass and a gate opens. That seems to work quite well. No ID is shown at the gate

4. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree that it does flow more efficiently elsewhere.

londoncalling and YULtide like this.
  5. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting that "those requiring a little more time to board" (and their entourage) will come after zones 1 and 2.

I wonder what percentage of the time gate agents will shift that up to ahead of zone 1.

6. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given the gate agents rarely do a good job nor care it will likely be much of the time so they do not have to deal with anything :rolleyes:

YULtide likes this.
  7. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    So is this the new "streamlined" boarding process that AC claims it's part of the new benefits next year?

8. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    So they more or less copied UA? Will AC have the pens like UA does now?

9. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Article says to start in December of this year.

YULtide and Sammich like this.
  10. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK, so the super-elites get to board with the Js and then the rest of the elites in the next tranche. So we all feel important, with the SEs feeling more important. It's all about "customer experience" and enforcing rules rather than efficiency, it seems.

11. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Showing id is a nuisance, to be sure, but it doesn't slow the boarding process. How many times do you get caught up in a queue on the jetway?

tomh009 and ACMM like this.
  12. QSG
    Original Member

QSG Gold Member

Status Points:
    The airport authorities in the land of Toyota have used mass transit style gates for years, you can use your device with a barcode, or a boarding pass with barcode to gain entry. As it is automated it is efficient, it also enforces boarding priority as the gates won't open if your not supposed to board!
    It has always amazed me how they can board a 773 with 500 PAX in 15 mins !

mevlannen and ACMM like this.
  13. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes ... it's not about speed of boarding but about providing a better level of service to J pax and SEs.

YULtide likes this.
  14. londoncalling

Status Points:
    I don't think they will at major Airports. At smaller sites like YMM the might rejig the rules.

15. londoncalling

Status Points:
    When revenues are growing as fast as they are in paid J fares they need to do something to ensure they keep that high yield customer. I believe you will see other things that cater to top end pax.

mevlannen likes this.
  16. londoncalling

Status Points:
    Therefore the zonal process plus less ID and BP "interference" at the gate will help the process along.

YULtide likes this.
  17. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very rarely - I try to board very early or very late in the process.

YULtide likes this.
  18. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, my point was that I often notice a queue in the jetway. So if the gate process is more efficient time-wise, it will simply put more people into the jetway faster. People won't seat themselves any faster.

Putting the Js at the end of the process would actually be more efficient. (Though I suppose you could still have the SEs first so they still feel special.)

19. pointshogger

pointshogger Silver Member

Status Points:
    I always wish that they could board people sooner if they are going to delay the process. As in, if as soon as the plane is ready, they start loading people, rather than waiting until a specific time.

The specific time should be more the latest time they will be boarding. And if they cannot keep up with the agreed time, they should really put more buffer time between flights.

But I guess they have a business to run as well, so they need to squeeze everything in to increase their profit margin. Difficult balance to strike between customer friendly services and maximizing profits.

20. londoncalling

Status Points:
    That is the right way to do it; but even in J the bins are full if you get there last.

21. londoncalling

Status Points:
    I do think the zonal boarding process will shorten the queues on the jetway if they do it the right way. Window seats from back to front,etc.

YULtide likes this.
  22. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Then you simply stand by your seat, hand your bag to the FA and ask them to find a spot for your bag. They will either re-arrange the bins or put it in the closet.

23. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably easier the larger the plane. You could arrange the zones such that there's always a group clogging up one area while getting seated and another group going toward an open area on the plane. Precisely back to front would be absolutely the most efficient, but would require military precision.

londoncalling likes this.
  24. londoncalling

Status Points:
    Once my bag ended up at row 20 doing that:(

Absolute99 likes this.
  25. Absolute99

Absolute99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some of the gates in Zurich (intra-Europe) have this as well - just like United in IAH did. I thought it was a great system, automating the process. It seemed very efficient, other than the people who forgot to have their cards out, couldn't get their phone to scan, etc. - same issues you'd have in a manual line.

BTW - I absolutely loathe mobile boarding passes, and will never use them. It really Grinds My GearsTM when I see someone about to use one, and then their phone locks, or the screen darkens, or they hit the wrong button, etc., and have to stop to re-find the code to scan.

I fully welcome this new zonal boarding system... but then again I'll be Zone 1 ;)

The Winger and YULtide like this.