Air Canada investigating luggage toss caught on video

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by slalom, Apr 19, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    This sort of "baggage handling" is likely more common than imagined, especially since it almost always occurs outside of the eyes/lens of the airline's customers.

LETTERBOY and gregm like this.
  3. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    The joys of a 777HD.

A few positives...
    I do like how the baggage handler below moves a tarp over to give a soft landing area for the bags being dropped down. Very considerate of him.

The guy dropping seemed to have very good aim.

LETTERBOY and Newscience like this.
  4. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I'm not surprised at the handler, I am that the jet bridge wasn't equipped with a slide, or am I blind and didn't see it? All I see is the stairs and the ac feed.

Garp74, LETTERBOY and Newscience like this.
  5. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know I'm in the minority here, but I'd laugh if someone used gate check to avoid a check baggage fee, and then had his/her bag damaged this way. :D If your bag and/or what's in the bag is damaged, you'll probably endure more than $25 worth of aggravation (or whatever the airline you're flying charges).

pointshogger, gregm and Newscience like this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless they told you, how'd you know they used gate check to avoid a bag fee?

gregm and Newscience like this.
  7. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, the joys of flying on SWA! I fly SWA quite often, and on this airline, gate-checking bags rarely occurs. Their "2-bags for free" policy helps to prevent most folks from schlepping their week's laundry with them in the airplane cabin in their carry-on bags. And that sure beats tripping over the lines of folks and their bags lined up at the airplane doorway. :D

gregm likes this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Love how the article says "a video that appears to show its baggage handlers dropping items from a tall staircase".

Yup, it sure appears to show that.

I think the bag handlers should be shown the door.

Interesting that it was Vancouver. The last time I flew out of that airport (on United) I saw baggage handlers throw carry-on bags on the conveyer belt into the cargo hold. Not quite this extreme, but certainly unnecessary. Some bags tumbled off the belt. I tried to capture a video from my window seat, but unfortunately it was an evening flight in January, so it was rather dark.

Do these folks really think that no one sees what they are doing?

9. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, I was responding to slalom's post, so maybe you should ask him how he knew they were doing that.

10. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    While quite common in the US, I don't recall seeing baggage slides at Canadian airport jet bridges.

LETTERBOY and gregm like this.
  11. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you don't expect this kind of treatment with your bag every time it is checked, you are sorely deluding yourself. The handlers have to spend the whole day lugging huge heavy bags over and over nonstop, and have a tight schedule often times. If you think they give two ****s about your bag, you are mistaken...trust me. No real news here.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  12. pointshogger

pointshogger Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another result of the check-in baggage fee. Because of the baggage fees, our overheads are full or we get very large carry-ons that require us to check in. This really makes the job more difficult for baggage handlers.

Though the baggage handler could obviously have done a better job, I feel that the checked-in bag fee is more to blame for this.

13. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never personally seen baggage handled in this manner, but I have seen baggage tossed roughly onto the conveyor belts they use to load them onto the plane. But that doesn't bother me too much, because I know enough not to check things I can't afford to lose.

You could probably say this about most customer facing positions.

14. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know....but I would guess that many of the oversized bags I see carried on would be checked if it wasn't 25 bucks. I don't remember the overhead bin space being such an issue before checked bag fees.

In any event, and (so no one has to ask me how I know) I've heard (just hearsay though), that the densities are high on the 777 so even many legal carry-ons may need to be checked. If that is true, I lay some blame with AC - they need to have better procedures/equipment to load so many gate checks safely in the short period of time required so as not to delay departure.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  15. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
  16. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    IMO, firing would be too harsh, unless they've been caught doing this before.

I note the following quote from the article: "We are in the process of identifying the employees involved whose employment will be terminated pending the outcome of our investigation." Seems to suggest that their investigation is a sham.

WilliamQ likes this.
  17. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    ....to me, firing is too harsh....unless they were given specific equipment, training, and time to appropriately check the bags. If they were just told "gate check them, and don't make us late or you are in trouble", then it is management's fault.

LETTERBOY and WilliamQ like this.
  18. 2by4

2by4 Silver Member

Status Points:
    "Suspended pending discharge" is a standard labour relations term.
    The only other one might be "You're lucky, we are not proceeding this time".