Air Canada Increases Flights in Western Canada; Deploys New Q400 Aircraft this Winter

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by Stephan, Oct 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Starting next February, Air Canada will be scheduling new Q-400 aircraft on regional routes across Western Canada to replace smaller Bombardier CRJ aircraft. Air Canada Express flights are scheduled to enable convenient, point-to-point same day business travel, as well as convenient and easy connections to Air Canada's extensive domestic, US and international network at Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver. In addition, customers collect Aeroplan Miles through Canada's leading loyalty program when travelling with Air Canada.

Calgary-Fort McMurray February, 2013
    Calgary-Regina February, 2013
    Calgary-Saskatoon February, 2013
    Calgary-Yellowknife April, 2013
    Calgary-Grande Prairie March, 2013
    Calgary-Victoria March, 2013
    Calgary-Edmonton March, 2013
    Edmonton-Fort McMurray March, 2013
    Edmonton-Yellowknife April, 2013
    Edmonton-Winnipeg May, 2013

Source

http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=590

I can see the rationale for some of these routes, but oh boy, YYC - YZF and YYC - YYJ in a Q-400 ... great! That first one is over two hours and the latter a nice bouncy affair over the Rockies. Not my idea of fun...hope those discounted Latitude fares price out competitively.... Or I guess one could actually take a jet on WS...

2. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
  3. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The comfort level on the Q400 isn't all that bad, arguably better than on the currently-used CRJ (except maybe for the noise levels near the front of the A/C).

4. I was on a CRJ just the other day from YMM to YYC and it was reasonably quiet and smooth. The ones with J class are a nice addition to the northern market. In any event anything is much improved over the Dash 100's and 300's.

5. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, CRJs are quiet, but the Y cabin is rather cramped. Q400 is much quieter than its predecessors, but sitting near the front of the cabin is still louder than a modern jet.

6. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    CRJ-100s and -200s suck, CRJ-705s with Air Canada are a comfortable ride (but the bins are small), and Q400s are somewhere in between. They're a big upgrade over the 50-seat CRJs though.

I rode one YYZ-YFC and vice versa in May and I didn't mind it a bit.

Just remember, if you like the quiet seats at the front of a CRJ-200, you'll prefer the quiet seats at the back of a Q400, although I was in row 2 on one of my rides and I didn't find the noise to be objectionable.

7. Bose has an answer for that noise problem;)

ACMM likes this.
  8. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have small noise-isolating ear buds which help, though not quite as much as the big around-the-ear Bose ones. But the bulky Bose setup is incompatible with my minimum-weight/space packing strategy.

9. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    You just need to learn how to pack better ;) I have my Bose with me all the time and this is carry-on only and small carry on at that.

YULtide likes this.
  10. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Me only young grasshopper! :D

Seriously, my computer bag is quite slim,would rather not fill it with headphones. The sound-isolating earbuds (not the freebie AC or iDevice earbuds!) are a good compromise for me. (You can also turn sound-cancelling earbuds into sound-cancelling + sound-isolating ones, but I find that the incremental benefit is not so big, and then I end up dealing with one more set of batteries.)

I think we're officially off topic now! ;)

ACMM likes this.
  11. Agreed.

12. The bose case really does not take up much space. I've carried mine everywhere for the last 12 or so years and in fact am shopping for a new one which I will buy in a non 13% :eek: sales tax zone.

13. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The specs say 5.7 x 13.3 x 18.7 cm and 159 g. My computer bag is only about 10 cm (4") thick ... the QC3 case would take up about half the space left over after accounting the laptop itself. Earbuds, on the other hand, take negligible space, and I need those for the treadmill anyway (don't think I'd want to use QC3s there).

For the same reason, I don't carry a tablet around, either. The iPad weighs in at 730 g ...

14. As thye say in good French..."chaque un a son gout" (to each his own taste)