Air Canada Customer Service Agents Threaten Strike

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by East_Yorker, Jun 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. East_Yorker
    Original Member

East_Yorker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Article from this mornings Toronto Star

"After years of sacrifices to help the struggling airline, Air Canada’s 3,800 customer service agents are gearing for a fight, threatening a strike at midnight Monday night.

The Canadian Auto Workers union is meeting with the company at a downtown Toronto hotel in hopes of averting a strike."

More...

2. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not feeling very pro union at the moment considering while every other union I am dealing with on a project has agreed to deferral terms so a once-only event can be recorded tonight, but one refuses to and demands immediate payment which we cannot provide. So just two of 200 people involved have killed this project!

East_Yorker likes this.
  3. after the board gave Calin the huge raise what did they expect. Go on strike UNIONS! show this company whos boss :) :) :)
    either way this is going to end up a mess..... The unions have had enough and the customers have had enough. time for CCAA and clean house properly.

East_Yorker likes this.
  4. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good thing my flight leaving YVR leaves at 8pm PT on Monday.

East_Yorker likes this.
  5. typical lunacy from one who uses slave labor to sell his wares and who has no clue about real economics.
    The poor union types don't even get the facts. The company is negotiating pension changes for future employees and they are going on strike to protect the job security of their leaders

6. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Customer Service agents, hmmmm those two words Customer Service are not very synonymous with AC therefore I don't think we will be missing alot.

why fly likes this.
  7. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would also like to add to my comment above about customer service. If you do not buy your ticket directly from the
    AC web site then the airline really wants nothing to do with you. If you go to the AC web site to check something regarding your booking or you want to check or change seats, you get an error message which says "Opps you didnt book this on AC website, go to where ever you bought your ticket or call AC reservations. Pretty sad when passengers are treated this way. I tried calling AC reservations just to have my frequent flyer number added. The agent told me to go back to where I bought the ticket. I asked nicely a second time and I could here with a "sigh" he said ok I will add it for you. Got an email message from then regarding a time change, instead of just giving me the new time it instructed me to call the agency that I had made the booking with to get the new time. Shame on Air Canada, treating those of us that do not buy directly from you as second class clients, have never had a problem going to any other airlines web site after booking at a travel agency etc and not being able access my file and do what I need to do with it. So not only does Air Canada have Executive First and economy class on their aircraft, it also has 1st class (booking AC directly) and 2nd class passengers(booking elsewhere)

8. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just spoke with an AC agent about an upcoming reservation. He mentioned that I would not have a problem with the return flights in two weeks....... Interesting comment.....

9. En-Route
    Original Member

En-Route Silver Member

Status Points:
    The raise and money given Calin is contentious.

Unions defending DBs for new hires is contentious

This customer just wants this negotiation done.

tomh009 likes this.
  10. That is far from the truth. When you buy a ticket from a TA they get a commission and undertake to see you through the process. When you change a flight and there are addiitonal charges that agent wants the commissions which is why AC undertakes to leave the file with them. Its that simple.
    AC is no different than any other airline in that regard.

11. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    First of all I did not change a flight time AC did and it would have been just as easy for AC to inform me of the flight time change in their email at the time they sent it. Second of all giving a frequent flyer number to AC does not cost the travel agency anything in a commission it might make, and in fact most everything can be done on AC's web site. I have never had a problem doing anything on any other airline's website exept AC. AC has always felt it was elitist especially back in the old days when CP Air was around, and also AC's employees felt they were much better from their counterparts a CP. As a semi retired travel agent I have dealt with airlines around the world, and I find that AC is by far the hardest to work with. I remember an old AC sales rep that came into our office once days years ago and how she started berating CP Air and it's employees, I was rather surprised as she was one of AC top sales reps and thought she would have had some respect for her counter parts at CP, but that was simply not the case, it's too bad, maybe it was jealousy or somethng, maybe it was that CP was a much better airline when it came to serving the public. And your remark that AC is no different than any other airine that is BS when it comes to customer service.

Exit Row and why fly like this.
  12. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    The reason is very simple. If you book through another site, they are a Travel Agent, and they are responsible for you until you start your journey, not the airline(s). It is the travel agency that wants you to continue your dealings with the airline through them and not directly with the airline. That's been the industry practice and it is to protect the TA not AC. And AC respects the desire of that industry.

why fly likes this.
  13. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Then please explain to me how after booking through a TA or consolidator I can go the the UA/CO/LH web sites and choose/change seats, order speical meals, enter frequent flyer numbers, I receive flight time and flight number changes by email from those airlines, not just an email like AC sends telling me there is a change with my flights and contact the party from which I purchased the ticket and do other basic things that AC does not allow someone who has not booked on their web site to do? IMO AC has never had nor will ever have a good customer service.

why fly likes this.
  14. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Three hours to walk out hour! Or is it off?

15. nighthawk
    Original Member

nighthawk Silver Member

Status Points:
    So far the clock is still ticking.

This all should not impact us too much unless picket lines impact other employees getting to work.

East_Yorker likes this.
  16. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    just got this email from AC:

AT AIR CANADA, WE ARE FULLY COMMITTED TO TAKING CARE OF OUR CUSTOMERS.

Dear customer,

We are very disappointed that an agreement with the Canadian Auto Workers (CAW) leadership has not been reached, leading call centre and airport customer service agents in Canada to take strike action.

How will this affect your travel plans?

Rest assured that we will continue to operate our regular schedule, and have implemented a contingency service plan to minimize impact to our customers. Existing bookings will be honoured and future bookings welcomed.

Use our self-service tools

To manage or book your flights visit aircanada.com or contact your travel agent.
    Our customers are requested to check-in within 24 hours of flight departure, online at aircanada.com or on a mobile device at mobile.aircanada.com. Check-in prior to going to the airport, to avoid expected long line-ups at our self-service check-in kiosks.
    Get flight updates at aircanada.com
    We apologize for the inconvenience. We look forward to welcoming you on board while we work things out on the ground.

For up-to-date information visit aircanada.com.

Air Canada

East_Yorker likes this.
  17. I support them 100%.
    Yes the Cathay CEO takes home millions, but its based on bonus'.
    CX made Billions.. like 12 Billion. So yeah Managment can take home so cash..
    Incidentally as an employee, you also received 6 weeks profit share.. almost 20,000 usd for
    most Ex-pat employees.

So when AC makes ANY reasonable operating profit, then perhaps Calin will deserve his money.
    Till then, it's unreasonable.

East_Yorker likes this.
  18. My Bolding.. incase it wasn't obvious.

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  19. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    wonder why/how the canadian autoworker union got their claws into customer svc reps. ......or do they build cars in between answering the phone?:confused:

East_Yorker likes this.
  20. Done deal; the hard headed unon leaders of the CAW just don't get it and they sucked in their existing members big time for no gain no matter what. Stupidity reigns in the paper house Buzz built

East_Yorker likes this.
  21. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flew YYZ-BOS at 6:40 this morning. No issues getting through the airport at 5:30 - didn't see any picketers. MLL agent said her "regular" job was a student. Very pleasant. Gate agent was a cargo manager. Got an op-up even though the E175 only had 27 pax. :)

It will be interesting to see if my daughter's experience this afternoon going to LHR (with baggage to check) will be any different.

If AC is able to maintain service, it will be interesting to see how the CAW tries to escalate things because if they can't, they'll be toast.

East_Yorker and mtacchi like this.
  22. Lets hope this gets people [ investors and customers] to understand the Management at AC has to change, there was no need for this strike except for the stupidity of management.

East_Yorker and mtacchi like this.
  23. AC is very determined to outlast the CAW. They have done extensive management staff training and are going to up the ante with more bonuses like you received this am. Expect a promo, if this thing lingers, to get more people on electronic BP's etc.

24. jarusoba
    Original Member

jarusoba Silver Member

Status Points:
    Let's hope the CAW thugs be toast in the very near future.:mad:

25. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Instead of arguing, can we help each other through this? Has anyone tried checking in on-line? We keep getting error messages....

East_Yorker likes this.