Air Canada Announces Fleet Plan for International Growth

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by ACMM, Oct 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some highlighting and bolding below is mine to point out some key items ...

Link

2. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    please god let us hope that "release aircraft from our existing fleet to our new low-cost leisure carrier" means the amigos are gone...although i sort of wonder how much more low cost you can go to USA and Sun destinations...does this mean paying for all bagage and paying for even water on a flight?

ACMM likes this.
  3. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Baggage, probably. Water, not sure if that would fly....no pun intended!

ACMM likes this.
  4. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Water , yes, only if little umbrellas are included when heading to Sun destinations ;)

5. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder, with the transfer for the EB 175 if Sky Regional will expand its YTZ destinations?

6. Golden Toque

Golden Toque Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are assuming that low-cost means increasing revenue. I see it more as increasing profits!

They previously stated that the BIZ cabins will be removed, and a higher density of Economy seats added to the planes. Also reduce your operating costs because your pilots and FAs are costing you less, along with reduced pension and benefits packages at the new LCC, and your total operating costs go down.

And they will have to! Have you ever seen what Westjet and AC Vacations charge for the same all-inclusive hotel packages? ACV is typically 25% more expensive... No I know that this will be for more than package vacations, but I think if AC keeps to this plan of a new LCC that doesn't compete with AC, or steal routes away from AC, then it will be a win-win for Canadians as a whole!

YULtide likes this.
  7. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    is the main driver to lower the legacy labour costs?

did AC not try this? they called it Tango? then it became Tango fares etc. why will it work this time around?

8. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    what about carry on? i mean southwest is low cost but does not charge for either...well directly since Air Tran's flights are always cheaper than the SW flights so you do pay for the luggage indirectly.....

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    When you say Southwest is low cost, can you clarify what you mean? Low cost fares for me the passenger? Or low cost of operations for the airline (low employee costs, ...).

I think neither is necessarily the case.

10. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    compared with Canada, southwest is both. no?

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not a fair (fare?) comparison, though. How's WN compared to, say, Air Asia?

12. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder whether they might run the YYZ-LGA and YYZ-EWR routes as well? Though 15 A/C is not all that much once you include busy routes like LGA and EWR (I think you would need 4-6 A/C for each one).

But with all the E75s gone, I do wonder whether this will also be the harbinger for the end of the E90s and the A319s. CSeries, anyone?

canucklehead likes this.
  13. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another article in the Toronto Star specifically speaking about the Embraers and the regional use

http://m.thestar.com/business/artic...ship-with-sky-regional-airlines-on-u-s-routes

As Air Canada focuses on launching a new discount carrier, it is also moving more of its short-haul flying to a regional carrier, Sky Regional Airlines.

The airline announced Monday that it would transfer 15 of its Embraer 175 planes from its fleet next year, and Sky Regional would then operate flights, under the Air Canada Express banner, mainly from Toronto and Montreal to cities in the U.S. Northeast.

... more at the link above ...

(Posted from my milepoint enabled iPhone)

SensFan likes this.
  14. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is the next logical step - assuming the C-series come out anywhere close to n schedule.

15. J cabins will be replaced by premium seats which I assume to be the old J seats they now sell on the 3 amigos. AC gets very good premiums from leisure travellers for those seats.........YYZ/DUB premium seats were going for around $275 last time I looked.

AC vacations willl not, in my opinion, ever match WJA vacations on price. The package prices under AC lite may get a little lower but in reality they have a strong loyal brand and lots of TA's who like to sell ACV to their clients. When you say same hotel packages do you mean the exact same hotels or just destinations? ACV has had a lock on many popular resort hotels for a long time.

16. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    but who is AC's low cost airline going to compete with...not air asia.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  17. Golden Toque

Golden Toque Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm I think I may have been on to something...

Air Canada merging vacations group with low-cost carrier that launches in June

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/br...-carrier-that-launches-in-june-172344251.html

SensFan likes this.
  18. Golden Toque

Golden Toque Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same hotels, and ACV is really only strong out of YYZ, YUL and the odd YYC or YVR route. They will likely expand service to more cities in the future.

SensFan and ACMM like this.