Air Berlin to Be Delisted

Discussion in 'oneworld' started by MX, Mar 23, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Possible integration with Alitalia may force Air Berlin to leave the OneWorld alliance.

TUMD, gregm and Newscience like this.
  2. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's a Hitler/Mussolini joke in here somewhere.

3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm rather fond of AB, their friendly service, low surcharges on award travel, and great TATL business class product. I really hope they are not forced to degrade their service and/or leave OneWorld.

4. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Really hope they don't leave OneWorld for SkyTeam as the article says. I like having more options to use my AA miles on, not less.

Newscience, redtailshark and MX like this.
  5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    AB is fine.. except when they lose your luggage ( they seem to have some serious on-going problems in that regard)

Counsellor likes this.
  6. rrgg
    Original Member

rrgg Silver Member

Status Points:
    > "Air Berlin ran into financial problems after expanding too rapidly in the last decade."

They've sort of been screwed by investing in expansion with the promise of a new Berlin airport that keeps getting delayed. That investment is going to waste. The airport is so late I've wondered about an LH conspiracy to stop it from happening behind the scenes!
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/today...ins-new-airport-hows-it-coming-along/2375541/

Newscience likes this.
  7. Colin
    Original Member

Colin Active Member

Status Points:
    I have never flown AB and hence the question - is their TATL product better than other OW carriers (not considering AA)? If so, which ones? A comparison would help me decide whether I should try AB and risk losing my bags.

MX likes this.
  8. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Besides AA, your TATL options among the OW carriers would be BA, AY, AB, IB. I've heard occasional anecdotal stories of bag mishandling about all of them, but have no hard statistical ranking. My personal experience with bag handling on AB was perfect, yet I had problems on IB and AY. On balance they all have pretty competitive and comfortable business class, with all the latest upgrades. I would rank my personal experiences with them as follows. Hard product: BA-AB=IB-AY. Food: BA-AB-IB-AY (Notes: pretty lame selection on AY. IB was a real pork-feast, good desert but that's about it.) Service: AY-AB-BA-IB. Surcharges: AY-AB-IB-BA.

Newscience likes this.
  9. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely agree! The European connections in OW become sparse should AB leave the alliance.

MX likes this.
  10. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed. We can only hope for more AA award space to be released... doubtful though... *sigh*

Newscience likes this.
  11. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    My understanding was that AB's business/first was on par with legacy USA domestic F other than possibly a bit more recline in the seat. Nothing special about it at all from all of the trip reports I've read. Never experienced it personally though.

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    AB has two very different C products in place. There is the new, proper flat-bed option and the older recliner. I believe most of the 330s are converted but I'm not positive about that.