Ah you can learn so much from Social Media - AA twitter streams

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Lalala, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    I spend a lot of my time looking at how we can harvest volunteered information from tweets, facebook publicly available information and pictures, lb sites, etc. for weather related research. I have spent some time the last few days looking at AA's response to weather related tweets.

First and foremost, happy to see @AmericanAir and @AAeurope trying to respond to problems.
    Second, I can't believe people put their locators in tweets.
    Third, there are a lot of angry travelers out there.
    Fourth, I can't believe twitter is the first place I go to get information about my own airline travel.

Do you use or subscribe to AA's twitter streams?

2. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know I am behind the masses, but, I still have not registered for a twitter account. I have yet to find a compelling reason to join.

Scott and magic111 like this.
  3. SpecialK
    Original Member

SpecialK Gold Member

Status Points:
    I follow them on Facebook. Regardless - I rarely gleen any new information there as I've, almost 100 percent of the time, heard it on FT first. Yeah.. including the angry travelers.. :D.

4. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm with Westsox - no twitter account yet.

5. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a Twitter account, but like Sudoko I just don't get it.

1WHRLD, if you want to follow someone who's going nowhere.

Grace and Westsox like this.
  6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I follow them on Facebook and on Twitter. The Twitter account is "interesting" though honestly its more a marketing tool then any sort of reliable interface for customers. United was doing a much better job of interacting with and promoting interest earlier in 2010, but I think they've fallen off their game lately.

In terms of turning to Twitter with issues, I would normally agree except I had a good experience with it recently. I booked a hotel in Sydney on Orbitz last week but Orbitz never sent me a confirmation that my purchase was made. Multiple attempts through email and the phone to fix the issue were fruitless. I made an off the cuff complaint on Twitter about how Orbitz was frustrating me and within 5 minutes had a message from an Orbitz team member who asked me to give them details on my issue. An hour after that, I had a confirmation for my hotel stay in my inbox, a personalized email apologizing for my frustration, and a $50 credit on my next purchase.

Twitter assistance isn't as bad as you'd think!

7. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Social Media is a flash in the pan, it's all hype and any valuable marketing will not happen in its sphere. It is nice to have a quicker response but as the space grows and gets more crowded it'll become just another 'on-hold on the phone' problem.

Tenmoc likes this.
  8. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe you may be incorrect on the valuable marketing. I think people are so willing to give information about their likes and dislikes openly and so flagrantly, the marketers can gain a lot from sm. I'm not a marketer, I'm a scientist. ;)

Tenmoc likes this.
  9. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    [quote="

In terms of turning to Twitter with issues, I would normally agree except I had a good experience with it recently. I booked a hotel in Sydney on Orbitz last week but Orbitz never sent me a confirmation that my purchase was made. Multiple attempts through email and the phone to fix the issue were fruitless. I made an off the cuff complaint on Twitter about how Orbitz was frustrating me and within 5 minutes had a message from an Orbitz team member who asked me to give them details on my issue. An hour after that, I had a confirmation for my hotel stay in my inbox, a personalized email apologizing for my frustration, and a $50 credit on my next purchase.

Twitter assistance isn't as bad as you'd think![/quote]

I have seen a lot of customer service turn to twitter as a quick way to deal with issues, especially if you have a lot of followers.

Tenmoc likes this.
  10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't have that many followers, so I'm not sure that was a factor. But I suppose it depends on what your definition of "a lot" is? ;)

I agree with you a bit on your assertion that social media might not be a flash in the pan. I'm far from an expert, but I do know that my better half makes a very nice income doing nothing but social media analysis for companies and they've had to hire quite a bit to keep up with the demand. For now it seems like people, and for that matter major corporations, are taking it seriously.

I'm actually going to blog about my Orbitz experience and contrast it with a horrible attempt by Hyatt to assist me via Twitter 4 weeks ago. I never had any experience with companies doing outreach the entire time I've used Twitter and have had two since this year started.

11. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    Isn't that what IBM said about the PC? And lots of folks said about the internet (evil grin).

While I'm on FB, I am not on Twitter. And I've got my FB stuff as locked-down as I can. I've seen way too many folks get into trouble over "digital dirt".

Having said that, smart businesses (like AA and Orbitz) have a presence on Twitter as the "once posted, always there" persistence of complaints voiced on the internet can hurt their reputation, but a quick response can heal it. As you note, however, how long will it be before folks abuse the social-media complaint/resolution process? Once the level gets to cacophony (see: "FlyerTalk"), businesses tend to tune out and the entire impact of the media is lost.

Tenmoc likes this.
  12. Biu
    Original Member

Biu Silver Member

Status Points:
    I follow many of the airlines on Twitter, but I agree with DestinationDavid that while I find that most of their posts are normally not very useful, they're much quicker to respond to complaints on Twitter and Facebook versus email or phone calls, because they have to maintain an image. Also, during storms or other weather delays, I've seen airlines respond to customers with specifics on how they're planning to rearrange their flights on Facebook before they would post anything as "official" on their website.

Tenmoc likes this.
  13. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I follow AA via Twitter and on Facebook (including the new AAdvantage page), along with many of the other OW carriers. Not all the information posted is useful, but I find it's a quick way to watch for news/announcements that might take longer via an e-mail update or my remembering to check an individual website. Luckily I've not been affected by the weather delays yet, so that string of tweets hasn't helped me much, but were I to be affected, it's one more place I'd turn for info and possible connection to customer service for assistance.

I've not interacted with AA CS via Twitter yet, but I have OpenSkies, and found them to be very responsive. Anything to help shorten the response cycle in the event of a problem is a good thing in my book.

14. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think that AA has outsourced its social media to its PR agency, Weber Shandwick. That will tell you how AA views it, and what they want it to do. I don't think they see it as a way to solve customer problems.

Tenmoc likes this.
  15. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm. I would be very interested to find out if they are still working with folks in AA customer service. Other places, bestbuy, seagate and SPG still use their own cust. service folks who work on SM customer service issues and know their products. If they have outsourced it, I will be very disappointed.

Tenmoc likes this.
  16. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, this always struck me as weird.
    Me neither.
    I'm glad you had a good experience with it, but I think this might be more happenstance than anything inherent in the media; you happened to run into a situation where a company was responding via Twitter and not via email or phone, but different combinations might be just as likely, such as a company being great on the phone but totally ignoring emails.
    It's what I said about the web! "What do we need with HTTP? We already have mail (back then it was "mail" not "email"), FTP, Archie, and Veronica!"

Good points.

17. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm slightly confused because I think you've kinda made my point. I was replying to a poster who was essentially saying that the use of Twitter by AA (and by proxy other companies) was not useful due to it being a "flash in the pan". I used my recent experience to illustrate how companies are taking this tool seriously and using it to address service issues. While you are entirely correct in saying some companies may never use Twitter effectively and stick to traditional phone and email methods, the main thing I was emphasizing is that IF a company chose to use it, it can be a very effective outreach and customer service tool.

18. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wasn't disagreeing with you, but trying to emphasize what I think was one of your points: that it's not Twitter per se, but how a company is using it.

19. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Right right, kinda like the old adage "guns don't kill people, people kill people'.

The technology/tool itself isn't "dead in the water", companies will decide how to effectively use it.

20. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    We don't know, because the people at Weber Shandwick all identify themselves as AA employees. I do know that Chris@AA, who was the first person to post on Flyertalk under the handle AmericanAirlines was the Weber Shandwick employee specilizing in giving client corporations a social media presence. Now, the handle is being handled by Stephen@AA, and I don't know if he is really with AA or with Weber Shandwick. I agree that they shouldn't outsource it, but they have in the past.

Tenmoc likes this.
  21. girlsmom
    Original Member

girlsmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    I follow AA on twitter and I do find some benefit to it. For example, with all the weather related travel delays, they tweet right away when a particular airport is affected. While I didn't do any flying in the last 2 months to be affected by the weather, if I were flying, it's nice to have one place to see all those "alerts".

22. Scott
    Original Member

Scott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I second that. I feel like it would be yet another item to check each day without enough of an increase in marginal utility to justify the time spent. YMMV, though!

Tenmoc likes this.
  23. miamigrad
    Original Member

miamigrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am very disappointed that AA doesn't seem to have a robust, strategic vision for social media presence. What it seems to have is a page for outgoing information... but not much in the way of meaningful interaction. A mistake, IMHO.

Tenmoc likes this.
  24. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not to beat a dead horse, but this is because AA has tasked its outside PR company with developing a social media presence. The PR company sees social media as another channel to accomplish its major function - to distribute information about what AA is doing to customers. Some customers don't read press releases, but read social media.

Tenmoc likes this.
  25. I finally decided to set up a twitter.com/chasethemiles account because I want to learn and do more with Twitter and also to prevent someone else from taking over my name. I am only following a few well-known names such as Randy for now. I added AA based on the OP's suggestion; will try it for a while and see if it is worth it. Any other suggestions?

Tenmoc likes this.