After 13 years, I caved to Delta-AMEX marketing pressure

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Indiana Delta Diamond, Mar 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Indiana Delta Diamond Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have never had a mileage earning card....I earn enough of them the old fashioned way by flying.

But --- my old primary card no longer serves my needs. I have been thinking about redeeming SkyMiles for AMEX gift cards and decided that the change from 13,500 miles/$100 to 11,000/$100 is worth it. I was going to go for the Reserve card but decided that too many of the benefits I already get for being DM and settled on the DL AMEX Platinum.

So, how long before that hits my SkyMiles account? How many gift cards should I get? :)

DiverDave likes this.
  2. I believe as soon as you activate your new card with AmEx and add it into SM account (SkyMiles/Manage My Account/Manage Profile/Credit Cards) it should be "accounted" in DL Marketplace.

3. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Status Points:
  4. FOH

FOH Active Member

Status Points:
    delta.com will display that you're a Delta Platinum Amex cardholder on the home page after you login when you click your name once they have a record of the association. It took a couple months for the initial bonus miles to post to my account when I signed up.

Indiana Delta Diamond likes this.
  5. Traveller
    Original Member

Traveller Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use my DL Amex Platinum for everything IDD, I've had it for years. I love it!

6. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Status Points:
    What I don't need, Traveller, is more SkyMiles. A few MQMs could make being Diamond again a little easier...even though I have been hitting short trips again this year so far. My segments are on pace but my MQMs are not. I should get some longer trips (RNO, LAS) later in the year. What I did get it for was lower rates on the AMEX gift cards. I seriously considered the Reserve card for high upgrade priority (and a few more MQMs) but the only other benefit that I could find that would benefit me is preferred concert seating and I am not sure how much I trust that to work.

7. Traveller
    Original Member

Traveller Gold Member

Status Points:
    yep, the 10K MQMs definitely helps!

Horse likes this.
  8. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah for free MQM's!!!

Skyvillager likes this.
  9. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I didn't take nearly that long. I don't have the card yet but Delta.com can see it and I do have the new Marketplace rates.

10. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a side note, Delta (or whoever) ships those Amex $100 gift cards really quick. I always seem to get mine in less than a week. As a reference point, I have the gold amex personal card and I am a gold medallion, and I can buy the $100 amex for 10,500 skymiles. ... I keep making deals with myself in my mind .... I got the Amex Plat, transfered for 75K skymiles, then redeemed for $600 in gift cards, thus, I justifed the $450 anual fee and came out of the deal with more miles than I started. .... Just went to CPH last weekend, earned 17k miles, came home a bought 1 $100 gift card, so I end up with more miles than I started .... I just keep justifying these gift cards by making sure I earn more than I redeem.

11. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I have been figuring that every segment, no matter how short as a DM is worth a little over $10. 500+625.

12. Interesting. Did you use your SM acc# when applied for the card? If so, the card may be pre-linked by AmEx already.

Anyway, did you get 11000 or 10500 rate for the 100$ card? I'm asking because my rate increased from 10500 to 11000 right after upgrade from GM to PM:(.

ryandc99 likes this.
  13. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I gave them my SkyMIles number on the online application. My rate is 11,000.

14. Traveller
    Original Member

Traveller Gold Member

Status Points:
    make sure you look at your card very closely... the first card they sent me had someone else's skymiles number on it.

15. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They got the number right.

16. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Make sure that you get all or the promo miles and/or MQMs according to the deal under which you applied for the card. If you received an email regarding this, keep it and be prepared to forward it if there is a problem. People have frequently had the experience of getting only the standard sign-up goodies and then being asked to document the deal they received to obtain their missing miles.

17. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Actually, the miles have already posted and they have already shorted me 5,000 miles.

18. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You need to contact DL, who will pass it on to AmEx. Be prepared to fight for the missing miles. Some have saved screen shots or printed the screens when applying for the DL AmEx cards on line. The problem seems to be that AmEx doesn't maintain good records of all the DL promos and especially who received the targeted offers.

19. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sad part is that it wasn't targeted at all. It was just the one that was presented to me at the AMEX page.

20. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, and you're still short on the miles? Have you allowed enough time for everything to post? Sometimes AmEx delays giving you spend-based miles to make sure that you don't return the merchandise, so it may take another billing cycle in such cases.

21. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I haven't even had one billing cycle. Actually the miles posted long before I thought they would. I have 3 line items. 10,000 miles, 5,000 miles, and 5,000 MQMs. They owe me an additional 5,000 miles but I feel it is way too soon to contact them.

22. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You know what, I am wrong. The MQM line also has miles on it.

23. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm glad it worked out for you. Many have reported problems obtaining all the miles and MQMs that they were promised as an inducement to obtain or upgrade a DL AmEx card.

For anyone thinking about getting or upgrading a DL AmEx card:

Watch the special offers and especially look for targeted promotions in your email. Don't apply in response to the first solicitation you see or on impulse at an airport (unless the gifts they're offering are really good, or maybe if you think your application will be rejected, you can keep the merchandise?).

When you do apply, be sure to enter any special code or make sure that the phone agent can honor the special terms. (Ask clearly several times for the phone recording.) If you apply online save and print all screens, especially those showing the special terms of your offer.

Watch your DL SM statements to be sure that the miles and MQMs have been properly credited.

If a spending threshold is involved, don't spend the money too early if you're upgrading your card, but be sure to make your purchases at a least a bit before the deadline, in case the charges aren't promptly posted to your account. Be sure to note whether the one month or whatever deadline is from approval or activation of your new card--this is usually a matter of several days for US mailing addresses.

24. DonV.Smith
    Original Member

DonV.Smith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great collection of tips. I'm watching for the right offer, too.
    I have an offer for Marriott that I'm about to act on (15 pts/ $ spent on stays, in addition to the regular and bonus pts) - an offer that showed up in the mail, I haven't found it matched online.

25. DLroads
    Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got p!$$ed yesterday at Skymiles Marketplace prices. DL is in the business of making profit. Right. But, mile is listed as 1CPM on their books. Why is it that products are sold such that you get less than 0.6 CPM on the product?
    And that is the medallion with amex pricing!

I actually wanted to use miles for few purchases, and I knew it is not going to be the best deal compared to flight tkts, but when I started doing the math (travel bags in 0.58 cents per mile), and not even discussing the fact that if one one convert their miles price to dollars on 1CPM their pricing is still 25% higher than the official rate (and even 50% more if one uses a real market rate...)

Just made me walk away (or logoff in this case) w/o purchasing. No problem. Just upset client