African Safari Hotels with Points System

Discussion in 'Africa' started by merice107, Jan 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was talking to my wife about South Africa (or just Africa in general) and we started to wonder if there were a lot of hotels in Africa where you could use points from a major hotel chain (Hilton, SPG, Hyatt, Marriott, Priority Club, etc...) for stays at a property the focuses on African Safaris. I've seen many beautiful luxury hotels that focus on the wildlife around them but none of them have ever been ones where you could use points.

Anyone have any experience with that?

uggboy likes this.
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think any of the game reserves and lodges are part of a chain. It's unfortunate considering they are extremely pricey! :(

uggboy likes this.
  3. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    No points in the lodges and no chains. i stayed IC at JNB before going to Botswana and Sabi Sands and then Westin in Capetown so a reduction in total safari costs. I had a custom trip planned by local Capetown agency (rhino africa) and the hotel savings allowed me to upgrade lodge in Sabi Sands. I used US miles for direct SAA flights.
    The good thing is that there are so many safari options at many price points to make affordable -my private guide in JNB takes people camping at Plianesburg instead of Kruger. all depends what you want to do, see and level of luxury

4. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, I realized there is one:
    Branson's Ulusaba Private Game Reserve, you need 400K VS miles for a 3 night stay in a Safari Lodge room or 2 people for 600K VS miles for a 5 night stay in a Safari Lodge room for 2 people.

He just opened one in Kenya too.. Mahali Mzuri

uggboy likes this.
  5. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That seems like a pretty high amount of VS miles to acquire.

But I guess if two people each get 150MR points and then a VS card itself (along with some spend), one could get close to 400K.

Either way, thanks for the info. Good call!

6. SST
    Original Member

SST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since the rates exceed $1500 US a night, the value is there...... It's about $0.015 a mile. I simply look at it as using 375,000 VS miles I wasn't too excited about for almost $5k I would be very unlikely to shell out in cash, for an aspirational experience. I added a couple more paid nights which makes probably the plushest photography safari I'll ever be on. Will post my observations when I return in May. Not recommended as a budget destination.

Meanwhile, two major trips between here and there, and I'm packing tonite for Asia.

merice107 and iolaire like this.
  7. travel4art

travel4art Active Member

Status Points:
    We recently ran into the same issue. We are planning a trip to SA next september to cape town and wanted to fit in a luxury safari. It is rather hard to find a safari on points. We are using hilton points for our stay in Capetown and then driving east to the safari via garden route and are forking up the cash for a short two night stay at http://www.kwandwe.com. 2 days at kwande will give you 4 game drives. enough to see everything.

merice107 likes this.
  8. Lynda
    Original Member

Lynda Milepoint Staff

Status Points:
    If you choose Tanzania for a safari, you could include award stays in Dar es Salaam and go out from there for a safari. But yes, there aren't a lot of options right now.

Some of this information may be outdated, but it gives you an idea:

In Dar es Salaam, you can choose from Protea Hotel Courtyard (Prokard), Hyatt Regency Dar es Salaam The Kilimanjaro (Hyatt Gold Passport Category 4 15,000 points), Southern Sun Dar es Salaam (Tsogo Sun Frequent Guest), Best Western Coral Beach Hotel (Best Western Rewards 36,000 points), Doubletree by Hilton Dar es Salaam - Oysterbay (Hilton HHonors Category 6 30,000-50,000 points) or Holiday Inn Dar es Salaam City Centre (IHG Rewards Club Category 2 15,000 points).

uggboy and merice107 like this.
  9. Lynda
    Original Member

Lynda Milepoint Staff

Status Points:
    Just saw this at One Mile at a Time blog:

New PointBreaks list will be posted on Monday, January 27 for bookings and stays from January 27 through March 31, 2014 (subject to availability).

And one will be this hotel:
    • Holiday Inn Johannesburg, South Africa – Sandton-Rivonia Road

merice107 and uggboy like this.
  10. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excellent find, thanks for posting.