1. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    uggboy, sobore and rwoman like this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have problems with the methodology and usefulness too :confused:
    The title is a bit misleading - I expected to see the ranking of services provided by the airports themselves. As far as airfares to unspecified random places - I wouldn't know what that's good for.

Scottrick likes this.
  3. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    The airport ranking could be a mix of short , medium and long haul flights.

To be a valid survey, you have to compare similar flights.

Scottrick likes this.
  4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I imagine a big problem with the methodology is that small airports will often have many flights to hubs, and these will be less expensive than, say, a transcon.

milchap likes this.
  5. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree. If you look at the cities at the bottom (most expensive), HNL and ANC, you quickly remember that some of the most popular destinations, like New York and Tokyo, are a long ways away and are going to drive prices up. It is interesting, however, how airports look for stuff like this to compete, so they can draw revenues from everything from landing fees to candy bars in the gift shop.

I was alerted to this survey because the ICT airport let its Facebook "likers" know of it. Its Facebook post rubbed it in that OKC and MCI (which it considers its big competitors, and to which Wichita people often drive their cars for flights) ranked so much worse.

ICT has convinced the city, county and state governments to subsidize Airtran and, next year, Southwest, for operational losses, to keep down fares which the legacy carriers then often match.

So when a survey like this comes out, flawed or not, places like ICT jump at it to draw passengers who might otherwise drive a couple hundred miles. Also, I assume, they are trying to tell the elected officials they made the correct decision in subsidizing Airtran. It always comes down to money!

uggboy, rwoman and Scottrick like this.
  6. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to look way down on the list to find one with a flight to LON! ;)

uggboy likes this.
  7. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    While the methodology is flawed, I can tell you I've driven the extra three hours each way to fly from MEM (instead of BNA) on some itineraries. And that's with Southwest (WN) as the largest carrier at BNA and only a few non-stop international flights per day (a few to YYZ, a few per week to CUN).