AF stopover using Delta miles?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by rtraveler, Aug 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. rtraveler

rtraveler Active Member

Status Points:
    If you use Delta miles to purchase a business class ticket on Air France. What is the stopover policy?

For example, if I wanted to do JFK->CDG->VCE

1) Can I stay at CDG (Paris) for a few days?
    2) I'm looking to book these tickets for July, is this even possible? Or does AF have a blackout policy with Delta.

Thanks for your help.

2. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    All DL redemptions, regardless of which partner(s) you're using allow a stopover and an open jaw. At present, the best way to search is using airfrance.us, as you can sign up for a free Flying Blue account and search DL, AF, KL, AZ, CZ, and VN (maybe more, but those are the partners I've seen show up there). The problem with that for you, however, is that the FlyingBlue search engine doesn't allow you to search July 2012 yet. However, give DL.dumb a try. Do a search by schedule in multi-city and select only AF flights. If AF flights show up, they're guaranteed to be at the low mileage rate.

3. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Assuming that they're really available at all. When I was trying to book my award trip to Italy last year, DL had AF flights showing up when they were actually not available at all. ExpertFlyer was a much better tool for viewing the actual AF award inventory.

mtkeller likes this.
  4. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I use EF, too, but I was assuming OP didn't have access to it since most people who have EF know what it can do for them. Why, oh why, is the DL award engine so freakin' awful? In fact, why doesn't at least one SkyTeam carrier have a good award booking engine? The other alliances have at least one carrier that provides a good award engine. SkyTeam, however, seems to have the FlyingBlue engine as its best option, and it doesn't include a couple of big carriers. (KE, I'm looking at you.)

SC Flier likes this.
  5. rtraveler

rtraveler Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info. I've been using expert flyer, air France website and the delta engine. My dates are more than 330 days out so I'm just doing research now.

6. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you've got EF, it's definitely the way to go if you're looking to book once you get inside 330 days but before the FB engine lets you search. You might try a proof of concept by using the flexible calendar on af.us to find flights (including your stopover, which seems easiest searching segment-by-segment) and then feed the flights into DL.dumb to confirm that the type of thing you want to do works.

Here's a thought since you're originating in JFK. AZ609 operates most (maybe all now, I didn't try to hard to confirm if there was still one day a week it's not) days with the new AZ A330 with flat bed (not angled lie-flat like AF has) on JFK-FCO. You might be able to snag JFK-FCO-VCE on the outbound on AZ and then return via Paris using AF and have your stopover. EF and the FB engine both check AZ inventory, although the FB engine seems to prefer AF/KL inventory to AZ.

SC Flier likes this.
  7. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    It doesn't mention award flights, but the AF website has this page about free stopovers in Paris when arriving on AF. In my experience, I've never had a problem booking a stopover there on a SkyMiles award.

I've booked several awards in which we flew AF to Paris, stayed for a few days, and then continued on to another destination in Europe. We also had some of these as open jaws.

Our trip to Europe last year had this itinerary with a stopover and a double open jaw:
    ATL-IAH-CDG-(8 hour layover)-FCO
    LIN-BCN-(3 night stopover)-ATL-CLT

IAH-CDG and CDG-FCO were on AF.
    LIN-BCN was on AZ.
    All the others were on DL.
    100K for C.

(The 8-hour layover in CDG was intentionally booked for a quick trip into the city for a special event.)

8. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice booking at 100k.

SC Flier likes this.