AF: invol exit row eviction, watch your seats

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by redtailshark, May 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flew AF last week, having selected an exit row on the A380. At check in (DL on domestic segs) I was issued different - much worse - seats in the same row. I complained about this at the DL check in, but they told me they couldn't re-assign me to my original seat b/c it was now occupied, and to talk with AF at the gateway airport.

On DL I received one of two eligible UG on the connecting sectors, then I arrived at the gateway.

I did approach the AF agents and requested my seat back. AF agents were apologetic, but couldn't find me my original seat or an equivalent exit. They told me another pax had paid for the seat assignment. I showed them my printout, from some time previously, showing my exit assignment. They did not deny I had this assigned all the way from months prior up to the day of departure.

They told me the system had changed and that not only had I been moved but that other pax had been assigned to seats (90B) that don't exist on the AF380. All well and good, but that didn't account for my unexpected displacement. Also, then they told me the usual, that seat assignments are not "guaranteed," they're a request etc. I boarded and accepted my fate. You can imagine the low comfort levels of this new seating arrangement. At least the flight was faster than usual so the torment was limited.

I wrote it in to DL when I arrived and was awarded 10k SM in comp. I'd rather have had my original seat.

This means, DL Medallion status is actually worse than no status at all, because a no-status pax is not likely to be shifted and in any case, most likely not to a much worse seat at the last minute as I was.

This lack of value is just more prep for the "enhanced" SM program, to encourage the customers to adopt the right frame of mind.... where they know it's worse to be a DL Medallion than not.

Take home: check your AF seat assignments on checkin if you have exits/EC on later sectors. Probably better to address it sooner and not at the gateway if you can.

perryplatypus likes this.
  2. chaz4449

chaz4449 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I too made the mistake of booking a code share flight with DL and AF. I bought it on delta.com with DL operating from the origin to the AF gateway and AF from there on. When I checked in with DL, they could not assign me a seat on my boarding pass even though I supposedly had one confirmed for months in AF''s computer. My wife was on the same reservation on the same fare to the penny purchased at the same time and had NO problems. We bought premium voyageur fairs WI hope o upgrading to affairs but I couldn't because the W fare purchased through DL is not the same as the W fare purchased through AF! They had upgraded my wife since AF "owned" her ticket and DL mine... We stayed together in premium voyageur which was still relatively uncomfortable and little attention from the FA. At least we go into affairs on the way back. Moral of the story: DL and AF computer systems are incompatible and this per the DL agents is a common occurrence! I will not book another code share flight with them again.

3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had you checked your seats on af.us or af.com? One lesson many of us have learned is that the seats showing on dl.com for AF/KL operated flights tend NOT to hold.

Part of the disaster between DL and AF/KL IT... :(

4. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't necessarily blame it on DL's computers.

In my experience, it is not unusual for Air France to change reserved seats even when you're on an AF ticket. I don't know whether a "tip" changed hands or what, but on more than one occasion when I had reserved a very good seat, at check-in my boarding pass showed another, less desirable seat, and presenting my reservation to the check-in agent had no effect.

Oh, and I was Platinum or Gold elite with Flying Blue on those occasions, but that made no difference either.

iolaire likes this.
  5. tomphot

tomphot Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have never had a Pre assigned exit row stick when flying on AF on a code share. One one occasion, I called 3 hours before the flight to confirm that I still had seat only to find out it had been taken away.
    At the airport, they could care less.