AF A380 into YUL - Might give AC is kick in the bot-bot

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by getaround, Apr 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. getaround
    Original Member

getaround Silver Member

Status Points:
    http://www.montrealgazette.com/travel/Airlines+aggressive+Montreal+Paris+route/4662436/story.html

MONTREAL - Finding a flight to Paris should not prove too difficult for Montrealers this summer.
    Air Canada, Air France and Air Transat are addressing that much-travelled route aggressively, each scheduling several daily flights to Paris, amounting to thousands of seats per day.
    Underscoring the offer to la ville lumière was Air France/KLM’s first regular scheduled flight to Montreal aboard an Air France A-380 superjumbo on Good Friday.
    The airline started its scheduled A-380 service earlier than the anticipated May 9 start. But Air France had originally scheduled to launch the route with its A-380 in 2009. It was forced to rethink that due to repeated delays in the aircraft’s development.
    The double-decker model has made stops in Montreal before, once when manufacturer Airbus SA landed the world’s largest commercial jet on a pit stop here on its way to cold-weather tests in the Far North; and again last October, when Air France/KLM put on a special flight with airline president Pierre-Henri Gougeon aboard to promote the daily service that was to begin in May but was later telescoped to April 22.
    Starting May 9, the Paris-based airline will have three daily return flights to Charles de Gaulle Airport, two on jumbo jets – either a 747 or 777 – and the third on the A-380, which can accommodate 538 passengers.
    Air Canada also has multiple YUL-CDG flights per day. Company spokespersons were not available for comment on Good Friday.
    Pierre Tessier, spokesperson for Transat A.T., which owns Air Transat, said that the charter and package tour operator currently has “seven or eight flights a week.” By mid-May, that will jump to 14 per week, or two a day, nearly all on A-330s that carry about 342 passengers.
    Cédric Leurquin, an Air France/KLM spokesperson, said in October that the Paris-Montreal run is the carrier’s second-largest in volume in North America behind Paris-New York.
    fshalom@montrealgazette.com
    © Copyright (c) The Montreal Gazette

ACMM likes this.
  2. NordsFan
    Original Member

NordsFan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I fail to see the fun in sharing check-in, boarding, baggage retrieval at destination and arrival formalities at CDG with 583 other pax. YMMV.

I will go with AC to CDG this summer.

3. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree. AF is not going to fill the F cabins or most of the J/C seats with revenue customers. It is pure summer volume in the back that makes this airplane practical for this route. Instead of twice a day, AF just needs a single daily flight but you fly at AF's convenience, not your own. So line up with another 400 people to check in, then to clear customs at CDG. LH is doing the same thing to meet summer volumes on its JFK, LAX and SFO routes this summer, but as of the fall, these 380s vanish (save for JFK) and turn up in MIA. Come the fall, the 380 will be gone only to return next summer when volumes are high again. AC will still fill its planes no problem.

DanJ and ACMM like this.
  4. MiltonR
    Original Member

MiltonR Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe you should read the OP.:confused: AF is offering 3 flights a day this summer including the 380.:rolleyes:

DanJ likes this.
  5. En-Route
    Original Member

En-Route Silver Member

Status Points:
    Keep the A380.I would prefer a smaller passenger aircraft over that monster anytime.NordsFan and me are of similar mindset here.

ACMM likes this.
  6. nighthawk
    Original Member

nighthawk Silver Member

Status Points:
    Add me to the list... why would the average person flock to AF just because it is using a particular aircraft type. We've seen this story before: "who's cheapest? Buy buy buy!!"

ACMM likes this.
  7. NordsFan
    Original Member

NordsFan Silver Member

Status Points:
    IIRC, AF has added an extra daily flight (going from 2 to 3) on CDG-YUL for the past several summers. Throughout the year they service YUL with many different aircraft: 777s, 747s, A340s, and now the A380.

AC adds in the 884-885 pairing on the same seasonal basis and switches over to 763s from 77Ws, but assigns the 77W to 880-881 exYYZ which uses the 763 the rest of the year.

TS adds a few more CDG exYUL and YQB as well as some service to Toulouse, Bordeaux, Nice and Nantes. Corsair dropped ORY-YQB but has kept YUL, I think.

No real news here other than the fact that AF assigned "Ze' BIG aeroplane" to a busy summertime route.

8. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like to call "Ze' BIG aeroplane" the Whale :D

9. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct. The vast majority of pax pick their carrier based on lowest fare. If fares are close however, enough pax would pick a 380 for the "thrill" of flying on it. Similar to when the 747 first came out, circa 40 years ago.

Those thrill seekers, if seated in Y, probably won't be so thrilled by the time the flight is over.

canucklehead likes this.
  10. nighthawk
    Original Member

nighthawk Silver Member

Status Points:
    Curiously, as quite an avid flyer, I look at it and think. "Meh, how stubby looking."

11. I pay to fly the EKA380 frequently when I can travel for almost free on my own carrier.
    A good product is worth paying for.

12. En-Route
    Original Member

En-Route Silver Member

Status Points:
    What is so good about a A380?

13. nighthawk
    Original Member

nighthawk Silver Member

Status Points:
    And as proven in the Canadian market (see lack of F seats on international carriers), the average traveller to/from Canada could not care less.

ACMM likes this.
  14. Its bliss, huge private suites, its whisper quiet. Showers amazing.
    Emirates booze.. Dom, Dessert wines.. What isn't good about it.
    I used to think that it didn't matter, but one A380 flight and you'll be hooked.
    It's like cocaine in the sky.

2MM_Guy likes this.
  15. But others will. So you've got to ask yourself why.. and the answer is conditioning. AC has conditioned Canadian
    travellers to expect less and thus pay less. I am exactly the opposite.
    If there was a flight I could get a hand job from Reese Witherspoon, I'm buying that ticket..
    I don't care if its $20,000. Pay more, expect more!

LETTERBOY, UCC and ACMM like this.
  16. NordsFan
    Original Member

NordsFan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yup, there's HUGE demand for that in the YUL-CDG summer holiday market.

If you can sell it for < $1,000.

17. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    The French have more disposable income?

18. nighthawk
    Original Member

nighthawk Silver Member

Status Points:
    So where are all the German, UK and French travellers demanding F into Canada?

Just try not to notice the chin.

19. All those airlines have a solid J and F product. The fact that Canadian's don't like paying for it is a due to conditioning.

[quote="nighthawk, post: 372228"Just try not to notice the chin.[/quote]

Love the chin!

20. nighthawk
    Original Member

nighthawk Silver Member

Status Points:
    Egads.

21. nighthawk
    Original Member

nighthawk Silver Member

Status Points:
    And if so, again, why can't the plethora of French, Germans, and those connecting via CDG/FRA/MUC create the demand for an F cabin? They'll be flying both directions.

22. So
    Sorry, I fail to grasp the question.
    These airlines have consumers all over the world that fill there F class / J class cabins. And they make large profits.
    Whats the question? Why don't Canadians fly them? or Fly them thru FRA or CDG?. I don't know.. but people are filling those seats

23. nighthawk
    Original Member

nighthawk Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's not just Canadians flying FRA-YYZ or CDG-YUL.

So I contend again, it is travellers TO Canada, be it Canadians or otherwise that don't create enough demand.

And I don't buy that AC has conditioned Canadians in this way, it is the Canadian way:

"Hey honey, X is cheap."
    "Great, it must be good, let's buy it."

24. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Much of that is North American culture -- this is definitely one thing we share with our friends south of the border. Quantity before quality!

nighthawk likes this.
  25. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    YUL/ZRH has F year-round with LX.

YVR/YYZ have F seasonally with LH. I am not sure as to the viability of F to YYZ- however YVR (and formerly YYC) have very low demand for paid F according to LH- and YVR is a strong leisure route (where demand for paid F tends to be less).

It doesn't seem that a lot of French fly F- AF has very limited F capacity (8 seats even on A380)- as does LH (8 seats maximum per aircraft)- it is Asia/Australia/Middle East that still have the high demand for F (partly also due to flight times- many people say 8 hours is good for J, however not 15).