Aeroplan wins at 2011 Frequent Traveller Awards

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by milchap, Apr 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    2011 Winners

Program of the Year

The Americas Airline: Air Canada Aeroplan
    The Americas Hotel: Marriott Rewards
    Europe and Africa Airline: Lufthansa Miles & More
    Europe and Africa Hotel: Marriott Rewards
    Middle East & Asia/Oceania Airline: Emirates Skywards
    Middle East & Asia/Oceania Hotel: IHG Priority Club Rewards

Best Promotion for Redemption
    The Americas Airline: Delta Air Lines SkyMiles
    Europe and Africa Hotel: IHG Priority Club Rewards
    Middle East & Asia/Oceania Airline: Kingfisher Airlines King Club

Best Promotion for Earning

Best Redemption Ability
    The Americas Hotel: Hilton HHonors
    Europe and Africa Airline: SAS Eurobonus
    Europe and Africa Hotel: IHG Priority Club Rewards
    Middle East & Asia/Oceania Airline: El Al Matmid Club

Best Elite-Level Program
    The Americas Airline: United Mileage Plus
    The Americas Hotel: Hyatt Gold Passport
    Middle East & Asia/Oceania Hotel: Hyatt Gold Passport

Best Customer Service
    Middle East & Asia/Oceania Hotel: Accor A Club

Best Loyalty Credit Card
    The Americas: Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Visa
    Europe and Africa: American Express Membership Rewards
    Middle East & Asia/Oceania: Kingfisher Airlines American Express First Card

Loyalty Leadership Award
    American Airlines AAdvantage
    British Airways Executive Club

http://www.ftawards.com/index.php?id=72

uggboy and unclepants like this.
  2. En-Route
    Original Member

En-Route Silver Member

Status Points:
    Aeroplan is #1. I am so proud of them as a frequent AC customer;)

3. CdnTraveller
    Original Member

CdnTraveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Much as we complain about Aeroplan, they must be doing better than the rest to rake in all those awards. Congrats Aeroplan! (written from the airport waiting to fly out on an awards ticket btw)

4. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another inexplicable sweep, just like last year. The voting for this particular competition is badly skewed and overweights under represented countries like Canada to the folly of the awards themselves. In light of the redemption changes, it is hard to justify this category. And customer service, after the fiasco of the upgrade switch over this year?! There can be no other explanation than AC and AE have manipulated the voting by having employees vote on their behalf. No way enough Canadian members could give them these types of victories. The entire credibility of these awards must be put to question. (Well, at least AC/AE didn't win the "best elite tier" award this year after decimating the Elite tier.)

Concerto likes this.
  5. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    voting must have taken place prior to the devaluation.

6. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    And how could Delta have possibly taken Best Promotion for Redemption??????

SkyPesos.. are not very good for redemption of anything...:rolleyes:

MSPeconomist and ACMM like this.
  7. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Careful - calling another program worse than Aeroplan is subject to blasphemy in some corners! :rolleyes: :p

charlilo and Concerto like this.
  8. SensFan
    Original Member

SensFan Gold Member

Status Points:
    The FT awards are based on the previous calendar year, so in this case 2010.The mini-RTW was in full swing and the voting was closed before the devaluation. I wonder if these awards were considered at all in the timing of the announcement, probably not. I wonder if they sent someone a bit higher ranking this year.

Next year I have a feeling they won't win as many awards. But as Canadi>n mentions the way the competition is set up does skew the results.

Delta is actually a two time winner for that award. They don't have this year's presentation up yet so not sure what the competition was, but last year's competition was pretty lame in this category.

charlilo likes this.
  9. charlilo
    Original Member

charlilo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Strange. I suppose you are aware of the huge devaluation of miles. I am just trying to understand you, there is nothing sarcastic in my quest.

10. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even with the recent change in redemption policy, many could still view Aeroplan as better than other programs. I have little to complain about with Aeroplan. :)

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    But the promotion was the elimination of redemption fees. Not really a promo since it is a policy change, but it did make using the points less expensive so there was some good involved. There also wasn't a lot of competition in this category.

The voting is based on how good the program was in 2010 and, more importantly, how good the programs are at getting people to vote.

12. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    DL's redemption fees are indeed minimal. I am paying next to no fees for my final fling on DL this summer (YYZ-Europe in Y, sadly).
    Do you have any details on how they skew the voting? I have no info on how this is done, would like to understand better what they do, and I could not find any details on their web site.

13. SensFan
    Original Member

SensFan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like Seth said, the redemption promo category is pretty weak. I guess the Oscars do have awards other than best picture but this is almost the equivalent of best use of animal actors in a movie...

Tommy posted on the voting process on FT last year. I will try and resume it in a nutshell from what I recall. Much conjecture because I am not going to try and find the original thread.

When you vote, you vote for 1 to 4 candidates (your choice) in each category. 4 points are given for a first place vote, 3 points for second, etc. The score is the average of the votes. So if you got 2 firsts and 1 third, your score would be 3.33 (4+4+2 = 10 / 3). The maximum score is 4 and the minimum is 1 but getting those is nearly impossible.

In order to be considered in a category, the program also has to receive a minimum number of votes for that category. Not sure if this was given out but it is probably a pretty low percentage (I seem to recall 2% being bandied about).

One way that this voting gets skewed in favour of AE is that voters from Canada may not know anything about other programs so they will only place a vote for AE (giving it 4 points). Most Americans probably wouldn't include AE in their voting. They would put their favourite program in 1st and then fill in other US programs to make up the other spots (so that their program would be ranked higher than the other programs). The Americans who do vote for AE would probably be more educated voters who would be more likely to put it into 1st in some categories because of the mini-RTW.

You can see the scores that programs received if you look at the 2010 awards presentation (link to the pdf). The highest scores in 2010 were for Kingfisher (El Al also had some very high marks). I would guess that Kingfisher just squeezed in with close to the minimum number of votes required. In ME/A/Oz the programs are spread out across different countries so the voters for the smaller programs would only rank 1 program in many cases. They may rank a secondary program (a major one that they have heard of) that they also use but this would just hurt that program.

It would be pretty easy to shut AE out of the awards next year. Just vote in every category and choose AE as your fourth choice. If you want something odd to happen then get some friends together and have everyone vote for TAM or some other obscure program as their first choice. The minimum vote thing might be tough to get in the Americas depending on which program is chosen but it would almost ensure that AE doesn't win.

The voting process puts the US legacy airlines at a serious disadvantage because people are very loyal to one of the three alliances. If someone is a *A person they may think that they will choose only *A members to help them out. Since they are with CO they will vote for them first, then UA, then US so that they will end up ahead of those other evil alliance members. This would actually end up hurting UA and US though because anything less than 1st just lowers your score. So leaving DL off of your ranking list would not negatively impact its rating.

Some people might think that the other programs that they leave off of their list are being ranked below their 4th place choice but that isn't the case, they are just ignored and not given a rating.

It is late and I am only up because of the breaking news so hopefully this makes some sense and you can follow my rambling.

ACMM likes this.
  14. SensFan
    Original Member

SensFan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here is a thread on the rankings - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/1130860-who-you-voting-frequent-traveler-awards.html.

In 2010 you had to pick your region, this year you didn't so you could vote everywhere. This could be why Kingfisher didn't clean up again this year. I am guessing that they may not have had enough votes this year to be counted. Emirates also would be more likely to get votes from people outside the region who were ineligible last year.

I didn't reread it to see if what I said is right, maybe tomorrow. Now that dear leader has spoken, I am off to bed.

15. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow. That's definitely a funky scoring scheme. I agree that it can skew the votes significantly in favour of airlines that get votes from FFs who only choose one airline.

I guess that aberration hasn't spurred them to adjust the scoring scheme, though.

milchap likes this.
  16. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    They need an algorithm. ;)

canucklehead likes this.
  17. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, this reminds me of one of my early computer science courses where we talked about sorting algorithms: bubble sort, quick sort, shell sort etc, all with different pros and cons and performance. But then there was "stupid sort": basically, to sort a deck of cards, you throw the deck in the air, gather the cards, and check whether they are now in order. If they aren't throw them up in the air again. Repeat until they are in order ... :D