Aeroplan vs. Star Availability for AC Reward Travel?

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by Explore, Oct 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm considering whether to re-activate my Aeroplan account with Amex MR points. One factor would be whether redemption inventory on AC metal at the Classic (not ClassicPlus) level, for a non-elite member, is more available using Aeroplan miles than other Star miles (I don't think United general members get additional inventory on UA, for example).

Plus factors for Aeroplan seem to be the short-distance North American awards, even in J, which can apparently take you from Atlanta to Sept-Iles, plus access to the networks of other Canadian carriers (can I get to Nunavut?) But what about fuel surcharges for Canadian and transborder travel?

Any other thoughts on Aeroplan vs. Kris Flyer, the other main option I'm considering (those miles might be used in the U.S., or Southeast Asia). When do miles expire these days?

2. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't intelligently compare Aeroplan to other options, but I can tell you that there are fuel surcharges and taxes to pay on domestic rewards.

Miles expire in two ways: after a year of inactivity on the account all miles are cancelled; or after seven years miles expire.

3. Aeroplan operates much the same way for non status members as does UA and classic fare levels are, more often than not, hard to come by if you are a basic member.

4. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:
    At least UA's search engine does not appear to "streamline" their options for reward bookings to YQ charging itineraries! Why on earth anyone would want to go to AE over UA MP is my question to the OP. If UA offered decent mileage accumulation options or a CC in Canada, AE would be in serious trouble here. Most of us are forced to accumulate in AE because we have little else ...

5. WETJET now has a program and codeshares with most US non *A carriers so go for it. You always have choices in life. You can take a CC that has travel rewards or one that has cashback rewards and hotel programs that have conversion options to airline points,etc.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  6. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, I would disagree.. AE awards are not all that hard to come by if you know what to look for even for basic members. It is the blatant YQ ripoff that differentiates AE from UA for the same flights and that applies to all levels of membership.

7. Rip off or not Aeroplan continues to be very profitable so thye must be selling lots of seats. Have fun at your new favorite and maybe we'll see you over on their site sometimes. Bye bye, its been a splash.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  8. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    "11. KrisFlyer accounts which have activity are valid for 36 months from the end of the month in which the last activity occurred, after which the membership accounts will expire. KrisFlyer accounts which do not have any activity for a period of 18 months since enrolment will expire after that period of 18 months."

"17. A member's KrisFlyer miles will expire after three years at the end of the equivalent month in which they were earned. For example, miles credited to a member's KrisFlyer account in July 2006 will expire on 31 July 2009.
    18. KrisFlyer miles that are due to expire for the first time may be extended for a fee. For KrisFlyer members, miles may be extended once for a period of six months only. KrisFlyer Elite Silver, KrisFlyer Elite Gold and PPS Club members may extend their miles for a period of one year only.
    19. KrisFlyer miles that are due to expire may be extended for a fee, up to five months ahead and inclusive of the current month, in blocks of up to three consecutive months.
    20. KrisFlyer miles that have already expired cannot be extended."

http://www.singaporeair.com/registerKFUser.form?showTnC=y

9. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure why you are so defensive? Did I not mention that awards are pretty easy to get? contrary to what you may think, I suspect that most dissenters actually are quite invested in this airline. i think the people who run it are on the whole a great bunch that have been given little to work with by management. However, some of us are realistic about this airline and what is happening to it. Your Pollyanna view will not change that, and if you can't accept that others perceive a loss of value in their favourite FF program without pouting then that is your problem. What people here and on TOBB are pointing out is that they are disheartened by what they see lately. Perhaps it is too difficult to fathom the idea that other folks feel that their loyalty is being betrayed by all these recent "enhancements". Some people actually believe that this is detrimental to the company's future! Your casual dismissal of any such viewpoint, however, makes you look like a shill and does disservice to the OP's question.

10. 1. I will have ecerts left over this year and have been upgraded every flight year to date.
    2. It still takes 100K miles or 95 segments to get SE. The fare price to get status just went up by a little. Fares are rising and will continue to rise because the airline industry has figured out how to manage capacity and keep planes full. That's part of the real issue with the whiners.
    3. The timing of a change in minimum fare codes required to get Q miles is not right. But tell me how many people will not get their desired status by this change in mid October.
    4. The detriment to AC's future is not making money when they can and not maximizing their profit potential. If these increases start to hurt they will rachet them back. Plain and simple and good business regardless of how much it hurts your chances to fly free in J.
    5. The shill part is a joke when discussing things with the shrill noises that some people make ;)
    6. Get it into your head.......AC is in business to make money and with sound new management have started to do so. You are probably still bleeeding in sympathy for the unions as well.

LETTERBOY likes this.