Aeroplan says blackouts are gone but not surcharges

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by londoncalling, Jul 7, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/aer...ut-what-about-those-fuel-surcharges-1.3137189

"Aeroplan doesn't charge fuel surcharges on all their carriers." said Campbell. "[Taiwan airline] Eva, United, Swiss Airlines, they don't charge fuel surcharges."

An Aeroplan spokesperson wrote in an email: "[We] don't charge fuel surcharges, but instead apply them where applicable on behalf of our airline partners."

To Aeroplan members forced to pay sometimes hundreds of dollars in fees and taxes on what they thought was supposed to be a free ticket, that may sound like semantics.

And the fact is, fuel surcharges remain for Fixed mileage bookings.

mevlannen, maradori and YULtide like this.
  2. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah, yes, now they have become 'carrier surcharges' instead. Semantics, it's a thing.

londoncalling and YULtide like this.
  3. londoncalling

Status Points:
    Its simply AE stating the charges come from AC and not them. Semantics it does appear to be but it is factual.

mevlannen likes this.
  4. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fair enough. I'm starting, at great long last, to come to terms with the notion that Aeroplan points-accumulation is a pointless exercise. Slow learner, I am, yes.

On the other hand, SE 'status' remains useful, in terms of immediate travel experience.

londoncalling, YULtide and Pizzaman like this.
  5. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So aren't the surcharges supposed to be waived for SE now? I haven't booked an Aeroplan flight this year yet (too busy to travel for pleasure ...) but when I look at European flights on aeroplan.com, I still see a hefty carrier surcharge (and, yes, I did log in).

What gives?

YULtide likes this.
  6. londoncalling

Status Points:
    You must have looked at LHR which is where the AIF is very high. Otherwise the surcharges for SE's are very low to other parts of Europe.

7. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This was outbound through ZRH and return through FRA. About $400, the same carrier surcharge as I see if I price the ticket on aircanada.com. I guess I need to call AP ...

YULtide likes this.
  8. londoncalling

Status Points:
    I recently had a YYZ/LHR ticket from Ae and it cost $68 and change. The return was around $475 due to LHR AIF.

9. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm. Back to this again. Trying to book YYZ-BCN-LIS-YYZ on AE, and it's telling me $416.96 in fees per person, including something like $211 in carrier surcharges. The AE agent could not tell who is charging the surcharge so she assumed LH or TAP (not likely in my experience).

I managed to duplicate the same itinerary on expedia.ca (aircanada.com can't book the BCN-LIS segment). Total cost is $1297.69 per person, including only $172.69 in fees (and no carrier surcharge at all). All prices in CAD.

What gives? How can there be a carrier surcharge (for SE100K), especially when there isn't one at all when buying a revenue ticket?

mevlannen and YULtide like this.
  10. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ouch! How much is the AIF???! :eek:

mevlannen likes this.