Aeroplan points from other airlines

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by Wageslave, Aug 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Wageslave

Wageslave Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi everyone,

Apologies if a similar thread exists. I searched but couldn't find one. I asked my travel agent, but they weren't able to confirm my questions. I booked a tango flight from YYZ to PVG to SIN. They told me I would likely only get half status points for the YYZ to PVG flight (some of their customers managed to get full status miles for flights to Beijing) but they couldn't tell me how many status points I would get from PVG to SIN if any. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks.

ACMM and YULtide like this.
  2. The answer for PVG/SIN is zero...nada....zilch!

ACMM likes this.
  3. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    No apology needed :)

Unfortunately that may be the case. Definitely only 50% status miles to PVG on Tango fare Likely zero from PVG. Which carrier are you on from PVG? When I flew HKG to SIN on Singapore airline in Tango+ I got nothing. Was not pleased and it was a lesson learned.

(Posted from my milePoint enabled iPhone)

4. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    BTW Welcome to Milepoint and your first post - nice to have you hear! :)

Wageslave likes this.
  5. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can find on the AC website what fare classes give miles on other airlines ... in my case on Singapore Airlines AC said I should have received the miles and put in a couple of requests, but never received them. Did not pursue as I did not at that point need them for status.

YULtide likes this.
  6. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    The relevant link is here.

Wageslave and ACMM like this.
  7. Wageslave

Wageslave Active Member

Status Points:
    ACMM: Thanks for the welcome! I'm taking SQ from PVG to SIN and back. I managed to get enough miles to squeak into Prestige last year, but this year have been too busy to do much flying (that and budgetwise it's been a busy year). I have lots of miles from credit cards and a trip to Montreal (no status miles on that one unfortunately), but I'm hoping to go on more trips next year (and hopefully regain my status). Still trying to figure out the Aeroplan 10k mile thing, but I haven't gone through all the forum yet.

Guess I should sign up for Krisflyer just in case I can't claim the files. Shame though, as I'm trying not to have too many memberships.

YULtide: Thanks for the link.

YULtide and ACMM like this.
  8. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Feel free to ask questions and we will always try to help. I think the trick is (if you can manage it) is book separate tickets on the SQ leg. Typically that will give you the status miles on the SQ leg if you put it to AE as the SQ ticket is generally a good fare class if booked through them.

Anyway off to YYZ for another flight ... :)

YULtide likes this.
  9. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    U can get an AC/SQ/UA K class fare, booked into SQ K class that earns 100% miles. Used to be $1250, but now I believe it's $2500-2800.

Gateway u can choose many Asian destinations.

YULtide likes this.
  10. Wageslave

Wageslave Active Member

Status Points:
    Well, I'll give it a go and see what happens. I just don't like having to have another membership that I'm not likely to use and will lose points over. Been trying to refocus on my points for the various programs, but not having much fun doing it...

Global_happy_traveller: I dislike UA. Flown them before and the service was terrible. Also dislike having to explain myself to US immigration just because I want to transit through the US. Give me YVR over ORD any day (and twice on Sunday as the saying goes).

YULtide likes this.
  11. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Like I said, you can choose amongst the carriers. Also it's AC between Canada-Asia and SQ or UA between Asian points, so no US immigration

YULtide likes this.