Aeroplan membership growing faster than seats available, say members

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by Sammich, Apr 2, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aeroplan membership growing faster than seats available, say members
    'You have so many people competing for so few seats with these mileage options,' travel blogger says

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/aerop...er-than-seats-available-say-members-1.3016815

Newscience, uggboy and iolaire like this.
  2. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps jacking a stalled thread, but I do note some trends in availabilty.

Recently spent a week of evenings looking for an all-J transcontinental itinerary. Were I not holding the much-coveted quintuple secret pterodactyl wings (SE) status, all I would have been able to book was red-eyes on United. Nothing at all on AC metal, not even YVR>YYZ and vice versa, unless I was willing to settle for one short leg in J on an Airbus, and the longer legs in Y. Oh, yayness!

With SE 'priority' awards, at least some AC-metal J showed up YVR>YYZ>YVR, but it took several nights' creatoive searching before I could find real pod space (AC33/34) without some gratuitously-added backtracking at one or both ends of my journey. Seriously, extra segments around Robin Hood's barn? Whyyyy?

Anyway, I found what I needed, although I could not manage to obtain a longer stay on the East Coast, beyond four days on the ground. Still, 135 bucks for round-trip all-J transcon, with all long legs in real pods? I'll take it, even if it's the only such set of tickets for May, June or the first half of July. I do sincerely hope that additional inventory is loaded, sooner or later, because as it stands, it takes way too long to sort out a decent set of tickets.

Petty first-world problems, yahhh. Goinbg to go outside now and shovel that darned snow that's falling out here in the toolies.

/elane

(the ticket prices out at $2752 in lowest J. Deduct the $135 in 'fees, that's $2617/50,000, or slightly over 5.2 cents/mile valuation. I'll take that.)

tomh009 and YULtide like this.
  4. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm off to DAR next week, returning via KGL. Just for fun I checked what might be offered for a J reward a reward weeks ago and the return was bizarre: KGL-BRU-IST-LHR-YEG. Nice little detour there!

mevlannen likes this.
  5. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just booked seats YYZ/LHR/YYZ for early this month and had no problem with priority list availability. Flights I wanted were available and even my favourite seats were still not booked

YULtide likes this.
  6. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just booked YEG-MVD for August and was surprised to see 3J seats YYC-YUL and YUL-YEG available to us. I usually avoid those types of flights since the seats are rarely available to us plebians (wooohooo E25).

mevlannen and YULtide like this.
  7. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is impressive, indeed. I must confess that my particular petty first-world problem lies in trying to secure classic pod seats with reasonable connections (including non-panicky connection times) at either end.

I flat-out refuse to suffer through another red-eye flight in a glorified hairdresser's chair on an Airbus. I outgrew sleepless all-nighters back in graduate school in the Seventies (writing that dissertation that nobody beyond my committee and funding agencies ever read).

YULtide likes this.
  8. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    After 20 months of sleeping 1 night a week in those chairs I became pretty comfortable with not even needing to recline to fall asleep in them. Now I get to travel more with the family and my concerns have switched more to connections, layover and timing food intake + insulin for a somewhat impatient 8 year old diabetic. YEG-YYC-YUL-PTY-MVD is going try my patience on that front more than my sleeping ability I'm afraid.

londoncalling, YULtide and mevlannen like this.
  9. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oof, you have some rough journeying there.

londoncalling and YULtide like this.
  10. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    Having just flown YYZ/LHR the other night in a pod I fully understand your needs. I don't ever take domestic red eyes, and won't. Like you if I am going transcon I look for flights with the pods. International travel is a guaranteed seat in a pod or I don't go.

mevlannen, Sammich and YULtide like this.
  11. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm with you on this. After flying F in CX and J for most of my trips. International flights I almost always want premium cabins now or else I cringe.

I'm flying back from LHR to YVR tonight on whY (booked a while back) and I'm actually not excited about it -- at least it's in a exit row...

mevlannen likes this.
  12. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's a constant struggle between frugality and misery. I'm drawing a blank (at this early, pre-caffeination hour in the local morning) as to who it was who coined the term 'calculated misery' to descrive the experience of air travel within the Amerosphere, but it's certainly an apt expression.

For local hops, out here in the northern taiga of the Empty Quarter and amongst the coastal islands of Salishaan, there's not much choice, as the feeder network is served by a collection of tinyplanes. One-class cabins, unless you're so lucky as to find yourself riding in the jumpseat up front in the knobs-and-dials compartment. I requal every year on segments, 85% of which are on those tinyplanes. The concept of J-class is utterly foreign, unless I am in fact booked to connect to a J mainline segment, in which case my boarding-card for the tinyplane actually declares 'J' on its face. Still the same little seat in the passion pit (where row 1 faces row 13, on the DH3 aircraft that serve the western and northern marches).

On the longer segs, where there is indeed a differentiation of cabins, I made up my mind -- a long time ago -- that I'd travel up front or not at all. That was conditioned purely upon my seeking a reduced level of misery. It's **still** miserable enough, especially on a red-eye crammed into a barely-reclining chair on an Airbus, but I debark somewhat less crippled in my joints than what I'd otherwise be from being pretzel-folded in Y.

Yes, I'm in a mood today. But still the differences exist. Those olden-days 'classic pods' are still the best choice, even though what with the introduction of high-density J seating and equipment swaps, it takes some fair level of prior planning to book into one of them.

Drinking my coffee now, that's way better, Thanks to all for an interesting set of coversations that I'd be unlikely to see elsewhere,

/elane

YULtide likes this.
  13. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Continuing further off topic, I'm off to ZRH tomorrow night in Y+. First flight on a 787. Then on to DAR in who knows what seating.

mevlannen likes this.
  14. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lawn chair bolted to the ribs of a C-130, with a wobbly fuel bladder for a floor?

(wait: you have to be in uniform for that one...)

YULtide likes this.
  15. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Won't be in uniform; hope the bladder isn't wobbly.

mevlannen likes this.
  16. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hee. Remember to bring dimes for the loo lock!

YULtide likes this.