Aeroplan increasing mileage levels mid-July

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by East_Yorker, Apr 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. East_Yorker
    Original Member

East_Yorker Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. illico
    Original Member

illico Silver Member

Status Points:
    I un-like but it was inevitable.

Time to get those mini-rtws in F booked asap!

3. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    The press release can be found here.

It also speaks about enhancing the Flight Booking Tool and speaks about the Last Minute Travel Tool on the AE website press information and also here is the link to this Last Minute Travel tool.

4. illico
    Original Member

illico Silver Member

Status Points:
    Insert "enhance" joke/comment/complaint here.

kidding kidding...

2MM_Guy and East_Yorker like this.
  5. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    very sad day for AP. nice spin in the release.

East_Yorker likes this.
  6. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    had this been on april one it would have been a good one.

East_Yorker likes this.
  7. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Holy crap! Business to Hawaii is 80k and to Europe is 90K! Seems unfair unless they have lie flats flying to Hawaii also. Its the biggest increase (25%).

The Star Alliance first redemptions are even worse - from 80K to 110K.

The other big standout is redemptions to SPacific NZ and Australia - 35K in Biz and 45K in First (*).

8. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Star Alliance awards from the US and Canada:
    • Business class to nearer Europe goes from 80,000 to 90,000 (still a relatively good price)
    • First class to nearer Europe goes from 100,000 to 125,000 (25% increase, but still a better price than United/Continental).
    • Further off destinations in Europe like Greece go up to 105,000 in business (5%, to United prices) and 145,000 in first (a 20% increase and 10,000 more than United).
    • Business class to most of Asia goes from 100,000 to 125,000 — a reasonable price, but the end of the great bargains Aeroplan had been offering. First class goes from 120,000 to a whopping 175,000. That’s a 46% increase, it’s more than most competitor programs, and ends the very motivation that I’ve had for collecting and for redeeming Aeroplan points.
    • Australia awards, which used to be a value, go from 75,000 to 80,000 in coach; 100,000 to 135,000 in business (35% increase), and 140,000 to 185,000 in first (32% increase).
    Some of the crazy Asia2, Middle East, and India pricing comes down a bit. And some awards don't change.

But ouch.

US/Canada to Europe1 is still a good value in business at 90k. And first at 125k it's also a value. 25% increase in the latter hurts, but all great values end.

Aeroplan however is no longer a 'strong buy'.

sofasurfer and unclepants like this.
  9. JohnnieD
    Original Member

JohnnieD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think this shows that parking points in a program for a future trip can dicey......Especially F to Asia...:eek:

10. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I am not enamored with the changes, for me it is what it is. With over 800K to play with, and at least 150K more this year to come, I am not too concerned with a few more miles to be honest.

igloocoder, tomh009 and East_Yorker like this.
  11. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hear the new Ayn Rand movie comes out next week. Don't miss it!

12. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    :confused:

13. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Amen...should have close to, or over, 600k by the change over date and another 150k+ to come this year...will try to sneak in bookings for a couple of trips, but overall it's not the end of the world for me. It might even be a good thing since there is a chance there will be less people fighting for the seats.

ACMM likes this.
  14. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Given that the increase is supposed to be reflective of higher fuel costs, I'm fine with this as long as AC's fuel surcharge/carrier admin fee is eliminated. Dream on...

15. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dreams are good to have The Lev :)

16. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll likely be over 800K by the end of the year, and with limited vacation time, it's not the end of the world for me, either. (I'm not big on doing weekend trips to burn miles -- I prefer to stay longer and see/experience my destination.) The big jump in F to Asia is the biggest disappointment for me, but flying in J isn't cruel and unusual punishment, either!

ACMM likes this.
  17. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So a quick look indicates that *A rewards are now the same cost as AC ones, goodbye to lower-cost *A J tix. Or did I miss any discrepancies?

I will give AP credit for doing the (few) price drops immediately, though, rather than waiting to do them at the same time.

East_Yorker likes this.
  18. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ya
    Yah, might give up on F and just visit places in J. I'm sure The Charming +1 and the wee rascal won't mind either way. For her its about the destination, for the wee rascal its about the root beer and for me its about destinations + planes. It'll also be easier to score 3 seats in J than in F. In the end its about having time to do it. I'm booked solid with travel and work until the end of August and likely November so burning miles is not going to be easy.

East_Yorker, tomh009 and ACMM like this.
  19. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. Mrs tomh009 will not grumble even in Y, and time for vacations is limited for both of us. We have reward travel to Europe in Aug/Sept, but in Y as I burn my final NW/DL miles. We'll make up for it with some nice accommodations though ...

East_Yorker likes this.
  20. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would be fine with higher redemption miles if they did lower their fuel surcharge, but alas, I am doubtful that they will do this.

21. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    The parents have used Amex --> AC for F awards to Asia each of the last 3 years. Guess I'll need to break it to them this will be their last year. :(

East_Yorker likes this.
  22. sofasurfer
    Original Member

sofasurfer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd just been trying to work out how we could plow through the Amex cards we don't currently have, to make a family RTW out of Mrs Sofasurfer's fall 2012 conference in southern China (she's got about enough for 1 ticket on her AP account). I suspect we're not quite going to make it for 3 seats, even in J. Back to plan A of buying BD miles through the family account and clearing it out with a miles & cash redemption (given DC is confirmed as safe til the end of this year, this should work).

I suspect we'll park most of our points in Amex MR for the forseeable. The current Plat Amex promo still seems to be a reasonable proposition, but obviously its value has been reduced in the light of these changes.

Gleff - at the risk of veering a little OT, any idea how AA or AS compares to the new-look mileage levels? I've not strayed from *A, but it's now crossing my mind. I'll start on my own research this weekend, but a quick overview might be of wider interest to others reading this thread...

East_Yorker likes this.
  23. Sell them now. Buy gold and silver. Turn the depreciating asset into an increasing one.

24. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I am perfectly happy with their value and what I plan to do with them. :)

25. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    This devaluation was to be expected.......not that I like it. :(