Aeroplan expands rewards to include tuition

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by sobore, Nov 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...s-rewards-to-include-tuition/article15198035/

Aeroplan has built its brand convincing people to collect loyalty points to pay for flights. In recent years, it has been expanding the things those points can buy: charitable donations, song downloads, necklaces, and even fondue sets. Starting Friday, another item will be added to the rewards catalogue: tuition.

The loyalty program, operated by Aimia Inc., is the first partner of a startup called Higher Ed Points Inc. The goal is to take some of the pressure off paying for post-secondary education by allowing consumers to use the points they have sitting in loyalty accounts to contribute to university or college tuition for themselves or for someone they know. After a soft launch on Friday, the program will be officially announced on Nov. 7 at a conference hosted by the Higher Education Quality Council of Ontario (HEQCO).

Read More:http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...s-rewards-to-include-tuition/article15198035/

Newscience and maradori like this.
  2. maradori
    Original Member

maradori Silver Member

Status Points:
    The tl;dr important tidbit is 7th paragraph from the bottom

Redeeming at 0.7cpm .... maybe it's still better than a toaster?

Newscience likes this.
  3. a two slice or a four slice?;)

Newscience and maradori like this.
  4. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never noticed the media downloads before. Looks like roughly $0.01/point (about 10 albums for 11,000 points). Maybe I should use up some points this way instead letting them sit in the account, they sure aren't getting any more valuable.

And I prefer music to another toaster. :D

YULtide, Newscience and maradori like this.
  5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, according to travel gurus like Peter Greenberg (www.petergreenberg.com), the major airlines would like you to redeem your miles on everything else but flights with them! And they'd much rather have someone pay full-fare for a long-haul business or first-class seat, instead of someone scoring it with miles! They do quite well, thank you, when someone with miles redeems those miles for "gifts" or for short-haul flights. :(

maradori likes this.
  6. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quite so. But between vacation time constraints (need to work less!), availability constraints for J seats and the miles I earn flying, my mileage balance has been pretty much in the same range for the past three years, in spite of 2-3 vacation trips per year. And the fees on overseas J travel aren't so small with AC, either.

So maybe I should whittle away at the balance a little bit. And I'd rather buy some more music instead of getting more "stuff" in the house. At least it doesn't take much space! ;)

guinnessxyz and Newscience like this.
  7. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
  8. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points: