Aeroplan Distinction

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by mtlfire, Mar 5, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just finished an Aeroplan advisors survey. Aeroplan appears to be looking at adding elite tiers seperate from Air Canada to the mix based on number of miles (from all sources) earned in a calendar year.

There would be 25k, 50k and 100k levels.

YULtide and chef4u like this.
  2. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    Got the same survey. Interesting concept. I wonder if it will take off, no pun intended.

3. smsolomon22

smsolomon22 New Member

Status Points:
    Actually, 25K, 35k, 50k, 100k. Ends up making the former elite, super elite less appealing.

4. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless we didn't get the same survey, or I fell asleep with the load times (both are plausible). I only saw three levels?

YULtide likes this.
  5. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's all I need: another elite status to track and worry about. What would be the benefit?

6. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Escalating discounts on classic plus rewards depending on status. Extra bonus miles for partners (such as hotels), no expiry of miles at 7 years, priority contacts, and something about better access to business seats.

guinnessxyz and YULtide like this.
  7. The Winger
    Original Member

The Winger Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same here.

This must be more aimed at people's spend on CC's. I dumped my aerogold last year, aeroplan points are virtually useless even as a SE. It took me awhile to kick the habit but earning better points elsewhere.

aboumrad, guinnessxyz and mtlfire like this.
  8. BackSlash

BackSlash Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think you're confusing aeroplan distinction with air canada altitude. I fore see a day when Air Canada cuts ties with Aeroplan completely and starts a new mileage program moving their top tier to that.

Also, I see this as adding value to membership rewards and hotel earning cards rather than aeroplan CCs. To earn platinum I would have to earn 100k in a calendar year on my aerogold card, or I can earn in membership rewards or SPG until Im ready to redeem, transfer in 100k and take advantage of the benefits on my redemption.

Although I do like the idea of a renewal bonus on my Aeroplan CC

East_Yorker and YULtide like this.
  9. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK. I guess I'll wait and see what materializes.

10. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    And I forsee a day when they spin it off just like they spun off Aeroplan to make a fast buck.

mtlfire likes this.
  11. East_Yorker
    Original Member

East_Yorker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Backslash had it correct. The plan, as presented, was only based on Aeroplan mile accumulation. It is separate from the Altitude program. It seems directed on those who collect a lot of miles through partners and credit cards, as opposed to actually flying.

12. All Companies spin off assets that allow them to invest in their core business. Its a tried and true way. AC spun off their Diners Club card and all the other subs over the years which allowed them to survive rough waters. Nature of the beast;)

East_Yorker likes this.
  13. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suspect that if they hadn't spun it off, AC wouldn't have survived the last five years without a visit to the CCAA ...

East_Yorker likes this.
  14. Very true

East_Yorker likes this.
  15. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have no doubt spinning off Aeroplan was the correct business decision at the time, but the creation of Altitude suggests that they feel they lost some control in the process, and wanted it back.

East_Yorker likes this.
  16. aboumrad

aboumrad New Member

Status Points:
    Finished the Aeoplan survey myself. Agree with the new AE tier program creation. I think the AC Altitude classes are lousy especialy the Elite 35K. This should be relabeled as Prestige 35K

East_Yorker and The Lev like this.
  17. Welcome aboard.
    One thing for sure is that FF rewards are going to get harder to come by as the economy gets better and the airlines can sell more seats instead of giving them away.

East_Yorker likes this.