Aeroplan - Best Transfer Option in my opinion

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by joesmoe, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. thefitworldtraveler
    Original Member

thefitworldtraveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does Amex SPG points transfer instantly to the aeroplan program?

3. dkelly1110
    Original Member

dkelly1110 Silver Member

Status Points:
    SPG points (regardless of whether they came from Amex spending/bonuses or SPG hotel stays) do transfer to AC at a 1:1 rate, with 5000 bonus for every 20,000 transferred. I believe the OP was referring to transferring Amex MR points (earned by spending on Amex charge cards). In either case, they are transferable and AC does offer some good value rewards. As always, the best values are obtained for intercontinental travel in premium cabins.

4. nwa747snn
    Original Member

nwa747snn Silver Member

Status Points:
    No. SPG to Aeroplan takes about one week, sometimes longer as do most airline partners.

5. dinosims

dinosims Active Member

Status Points:
    I'll agree to a certain extent - AC has great redemptions on certain routes, such as 120k for first to Asia 1 creating a pseudo-RTW. However, other airlines have better deals. For instance, BA to IPC for 40k in Y and ANA East Coast-Most of Europe for 68k in J are just two that come to mind that I think have a higher redemption value than transferring to AC.

phonehome likes this.
  6. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think AC is one of the best FF programs out there. The 100,000 mile first class award are not matched by any other program I know.

TheInternationalLine likes this.
  7. TheInternationalLine
    Original Member

TheInternationalLine Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just check the taxes and fuel surcharges before doing your transfer. Redeeming for AC tickets can be a horrible rip-off due to the high fees associated with the tickets. Redeeming Aeroplan miles for other Star Alliance carriers is usually a better deal.

8. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    120K for NA-Asia 1 is a great deal and I've done this on several occasions. Just can't seem to figure out why Cambodia is not in the same group as Thailand, Laos and Vietnam.

9. hopscotch1
    Original Member

hopscotch1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with Aeroplan as the best redemption for AMEX MR. Now, if only AMEX could add Alaska, the occasional flyer would be all set.

10. tassojunior
    Original Member

tassojunior Silver Member

Status Points:
    Aeroplan last year had a 25% bonus for MR transfers. I'm waiting on a repeat or better.

Only problem with AC and the foreign airlines is those damn fuel surcharges make them impractical. I only redeem on US *A partners.

My everyday card is the Fidelity AmEx no-fee card that gives 2 Aeroplan miles per every $ spent.

My dream is the Aeroplan round-the-world in first-class for 120K miles. Oh yes.
    (60K spend on the Fidelity alone would do it).

11. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope they come through with that offer again as well. When did you hear about the bonus before?

And is that fidelity card still available?

12. tassojunior
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The Fidelity is still available: LINK
    You turn off auto deposit to Fidelity account if you have one and it deposits 2 WorldPoints per $ now redeemable 1:1 for Aeroplan.

I think the 25% bonus last year was in the fall. Not sure.

13. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, i'm going to give it a shot and see if I can get approved (doubtful).

14. AC_MM
    Original Member

AC_MM Silver Member

Status Points:

Thanks you just gave me a great idea. I was trying to send my MR point to Aeroplan but I could not as I selected the 1.5 earning option.

But if I first transfer them to SPG say 20,000, then that would transfer back to Aeroplan at 25,000 with the Platium benefit.

So this works out to be a win win. 1.5 earning in MR plus then a transfer bonus from SPG to Aeroplan, done!

I just love these little quirks to get bonus miles by working the system!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aeroplan is definitely a great use of MR points.

Another is /w BA (surprisingly, I know)... but using them for redemption on LAN to south america. Flights from USA to South America on LAN are 80k in business r/t. Plus the fact that you can get multiple stop-overs, and the fuel surcharges are not substantial (none in fact, on certain routes).

16. dkelly1110
    Original Member

dkelly1110 Silver Member

Status Points:

I'm not exactly following what you're saying about the 1.5 earning option, but transferring MR to SPG is a losing proposition as you suffer a huge devaluation in points. 3 MR for 1 SPG.

17. All Nippon Airways (ANA) is a great MR partner for flying East Coast United States to Europe.

Example: Transfer 63,000 MR to ANA miles. Redeem 63,000 ANA miles for a RT ticket from Boston Logan (BOS) to London Heathrow (LHR) on Virgin Atlantic Upper Class. Taxes/fees are approx $165. Complimentary bags and access to Virgin Clubhouse at LHR.

Dannyboy likes this.
  18. tassojunior
    Original Member

Status Points:
    BA, ANA & Aeroplan are all great depending on where you want to go and transfer MR & SPG 1:1
    Currently the 40% BA MR bonus is the top offer, although Aeroplan did have a bonus last year of 25% I believe.
    Also in 2008 BA had a 30% bonus (on top of the 25%) for SPG : LINK.

So it really depends between those 3 where you're going and what's the current bonus offer.

To gum it up more last summer AA had a 35% additional bonus on SPG transfers and US had a 50%.

joesmoe likes this.