Aeroplan Begins Adding Fuel Surcharges to Star Alliance Partner Awards

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by ACMM, Nov 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did not know about this but saw the entry from View from the Wing which gave me some insight and details ... anyone know anything more on this?

Here is the link...

11-9-2011 9-10-52 PM.jpg

2. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    This has been a major thread on FT the past couple of days. Still not confirmed by anyone's booking.

3. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well according to the view blog - there do appear to be some airlines where it has been confirmed ... and some not yet doing it ... not something I can easily check however :) Thanks for your comment .

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  4. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    I looked at a bunch of bookings and found the following things:
    • The YQ charge will vary by airline (LAX-NRT return on NH was $606, on OZ it was $378)
    • The YQ charge doesn't appear to vary based on class of booking
    • Some airlines have YQ applied, some don't
      • Do charge: AC (as we know all too well), OZ, NH, LH, LO, TG
      • Don't charge: CA, SQ, LX, UA & CO, TP, NZ, TK
      • Unsure: OS, MS, SK, SA
    I'll make two predictions:
    1. Aeroplan will use sections 5 and 45 of the T&C's to show that they can charge the YQ and to start doing so without announcing the change.
    2. More airlines will be included in the "Do" list as time goes on and the IT wonks get integration figured out between systems.
    Here's what I priced for my mini-RTW that starts on in a couple of days. I couldn't look up a lot of the flights as one-ways so I noted (**) where I looked up a round trip and divided by 2. Some flights I could get in the results on AE, but I couldn't dummy book them so I noted (??) those as well.
    YUL-ZRH on LX +$0​
    ZRH-FRA on LH +$??​
    FRA-KIX on LH +$173.30 **​
    KIX-ICN on OZ +$34.70 **​
    ICN-SGN on OZ +$60.40​
    SGN-BKK on LH +$52.10​
    BKK-MUC on TG +$178.10​
    MUC-ZRH on LH +$??​
    ZRH-YUL on LX +$0​
    Total additional cost == $498.60

charlilo and ACMM like this.
  5. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh it's there. Take a look at the following from dummy booking on the AE website. Read it and weep...

[​IMG]

ACMM likes this.
  6. travelgeek

travelgeek Active Member

Status Points:
    I looked up the "??" for FRA-ZRH on ITA and was quoted $69.90 RT for YQ.

charlilo likes this.
  7. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
  8. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interestingly the YQ found on the AE site and the YQ listed on ITA are different:
    FRA-KIX, AE=173.30, ITA=173.80​
    BKK-MUC, AE=178.10, ITA=172.90​
    I suppose I shouldn't have expected accuracy in the face of thievery

charlilo likes this.
  9. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As one who didn't want to believe the rumour it's too bad AP closed what was for many the last loophole. The last few years with the changes to elite status benefits & more partner airlines earn less on some fare classes and now this AP has changed for the worse. Wonder how many will follow through on their vows to walk away.

Thankfully in my case I defected to UA MP a year or two ago and only have 22K in AP now.

10. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is always the game, is it not? Many are all talk and no show ... some (like yourself) have made the move, others just never do.

milchap likes this.
  11. If one is a SE and flies out of YYZ/YUL or YVR principally than AC is your only choice. The only real advantage for SE's is the fact one can easily get J bookings for spouses/significant others which still is very good value.

I personally think really free reward travel is going to be a thing of the past as airlines struggle mightily with fuel costs trending even higher going forward. The non paying payload will suffer as this effect grows. BA and other EURO carriers have also been charging fees but calling them something else than fuel surcharges.
    IF one is a real FF'er the better choices for reward travel are starting to come from the CC side of things. Some of them are offering double points, 2 per $1 spent, or other bonus supplements as they see a better opening for themselves in the reward business. It has made me focus more on reducing the number of CC's I now use and being more selective on which ones I keep.

ACMM and tomh009 like this.
  12. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quite true.

This appears to be a significant additional cost for award bookings, and of course that's not a good thing (especially as I have a 700K+ mile balance at the moment). But the other E/SE benefits are unchanged, and taking US connections for all my overseas flights is still not appealing, so for my travel pattern, AP is still the best (or least bad?) game time in town.

YULtide and ACMM like this.
  13. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't recall if it was here or on FT. But I predicted this 'enhancement' not long after they redid the award charts.

It does make me consider going elsewhere, but like ACMM said, not many people do. As someone flying out of YUL, that does about half my flights in Canada and I have a Aeroplan credit card, you don't have much of a choice. I've been flying a lot of US and crediting to Aeroplan (Some AC fares are just plain ridiculous compared to other alliance carriers) -- I guess I could credit to US but as Canadians we don't have many credit card options.

charlilo likes this.
  14. charlilo
    Original Member

charlilo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd say this is why we are treated that way.

15. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mea culpa...I stand corrected with a soufflé on my face. My Edmonton compatriots can flog me on your behalf tonight at the "patio do", though hope the table is indoors!

But what we also need to know is at who's instigation this came? And are the surcharges the same as if we'd booked these flights on the FF programs of those carriers.

16. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Those benefits are unchanged because this is not an AC move (which elite tier benefits are) but an AE move. AE is fully responsible for mileage accumulation (beyond specifics as dictated by each airline, be it AC or any other STAR carrier) and redemption. AC only comes into play when miles are redeemed on its flights, and it sets the terms AE must follow (and charge us). The two issues are: 1. Is it the other STAR carriers who are now asking for cash to cover fuel surcharges, or is this unilateral on the part of AE (who may be pocketing the money)? 2. Lack of advance -- or any -- notice in spite of the clauses in the agreement (and which I feel could be challenged in court given the one-sided nature of such consumer contracts) which permit this.

17. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm struggling to believe that this is the case. YQ is being charged on LH and OS flights, but isn't on LX which is part of the same group. I would think that all 3, even though separate airlines, would have made the same move based on a parent company decision. I've been known to be wrong though.

18. SensFan
    Original Member

SensFan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just made some changes to an existing ticket (new flights on CO, TG, LH and US) and fortunately was not charged any fuel surcharges. It did take over half an hour for the agent to recalculate the taxes.

In the end I came out even: $12 in new taxes, $90 change fee and a $120 refund (took out AC legs). I am sad that BKK-HND-FRA exceeds MPM though because I wanted to try and get on the 787 but I will have to make do in the 9W suites on TG.

So if you have a complicated itinerary I would make changes now if you have them because not all agents may be aware of these new fees at this time.

19. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can anyone confirm whether the airlines now charging a YQ for AE redemption are charging the same/similar amount when redeeming on their "own" programs - e.g. Miles & more, etc.?

charlilo likes this.
  20. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    this time an "enhancement" by AP. two major devaluations in one year.

21. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting tweet (emphasis mine) from @Aeroplan just minutes ago....
    http://twitter.com/#!/Aeroplan/status/134700268657979393

Perhaps the twist to the plot is that AC is actually driving this.

tcook052 likes this.
  22. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting, Aimia sold out its buddy AC, not so aimable if you ask me! :D

23. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    not sure making it clear where the blame lies is selling AC out. i mean AC would sell AP out in a second..i mean, Aimia.

24. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
  25. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just got my Aeroplan newsletter. Nothing mentioned in it that I can find. When I saw it in my inbox I thought that AE might have just gotten their roll-out messed up, but I can't even make the excuse for them.