Aeroplan as AmEx Transfer Partner

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by MX, May 12, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm wondering if one could make good use of the AmEx Membership Reward points by transferring them to AC/Aeroplan. Is this a worthwhile route to the *A award travel?
    Since I'm not yet a member, I couldn't access any plan information on the AC website, including their award tables. If anyone has a freely accessible link to those tables, or could share their opinions of the merits / perils of Aeroplan, please post. Thanks!

Newscience likes this.
  2. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why not just join and get access to the award charts??!!!

Wandering Aramean and MX like this.
  3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    The collective wisdom of our fellow travelers can be a great screening tool. :)
    Or to use a cliche phrase, there's often no need to reinvent the wheel.
    Btw, I already found one version of the award chart (maybe not current). It looks good in many areas, but apparently the mileage requirements are only a part of the story. I've seen a few comments that some award routes are made impractical due to excessive surcharges.

kwai and traveltoomuch like this.
  4. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    My understanding, and take this with a grain of salt because I haven't peered into the airline from the land of beer, bears and hockey in some time, is that it's based upon airlines used rather than routes. Some airlines are subject to YQ and some aren't.

MX likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Aeroplan charts are reasonable and competitive with others in the alliance, particularly as an AmEx transfer partner. The YQ thing can be challenging but not completely egregious.

MX likes this.
  6. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    MX likes this.
  7. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    So far I'm understanding their convoluted system as follows. Altitude is their program that provides AC frequent flyers with status and free benefits that go with it. Aeroplan is the program that sells flights and upgrades for miles & surcharges (with the latter being somewhat affected by status). If that's correct, then folks transferring MR points and having no history with AC (like me) should not be concerned with the Altitude program at this point. Please correct me if I'm missing something here.

Sounds like there are no absolute deal breakers with Aeroplan. So it might be worthwhile to get an account, and start learning about the program. I'd be curious how experienced users rank Aeroplan against BA Avios or other MR transfer options in terms of YQ, sweet spots, etc.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct.

In that it is free and they don't ask much of you there is no reason at all to not join.

Like every program there are good bits and bad bits. If you can find the inventory for short transborder flights Avios will kick Aeroplan's butt. But for long-haul that may not be the case. It really depends on the scenario.

MX likes this.