Aeroplan / Air Canada Super FAQ (Really-Frequently-Asked-Questions)

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by c_9, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. c_9
    Original Member

c_9 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This thread has been replaced by the FAQ which you can find at the top of the page when viewing the list of topics. Please use that location to research any information you're looking for, and if you know answers it's a great place to put them too!

Welcome to the Air Canada / Aeroplan forum! This thread may answer your most common questions, many of which show up here frequently. Please comment (or send a private message to me) to suggest items that should be added to help new members!

1. How many points does it take to go from thisplace to thatplace?

Note: you can use Aeroplan points to book one-way flights, but they will cost more than half the round-trip price, and they can only be booked on Air Canada / Air Canada Jazz flights, not Star Alliance (non-Air Canada) flights.

2. How many points does it take to upgrade?

3. How many points will I get for flying from thisplace to thatplace?

The approximate value is shown in the Air Canada timetable: http://www.actimetable.com/AC.pdf. The AC Mileage - City Pairings thread may list your segment's exact mileage, and you may wish to bookmark this Mileage List Google Doc.​

Note: Direct flights that include a stop are credited as if nonstop. So YYZ-YVR-NRT only receives miles for YYZ-NRT.

4. When will my points expire?

7 years after being earned. No online tool exists yet to see your specific expiry dates, but Aeroplan has suggested this is forthcoming before the first expiry happens in 2013.​

5. What's a status point?

A status point (or mile) is earned through flying in certain fare classes. If enough are earned in one calendar year, you can earn Air Canada Top Tier Status, which means extra benefits when flying such as lounge access (Maple Leaf Lounge Information), upgrades, access to better seats, and more. For details, refer to the Air Canada website: http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan/toptier.html

A non-status point (or mile) is earned through flying in non-status-earning fare classes, but can also be earned through other means. Credit card points, orange juice containers, bonus points from many companies, ... the list goes on and on. You can see how to earn more non-status points at the Aeroplan website: http://www2.aeroplan.com/earn_miles/our_partners.do

6. What status can I earn?

Air Canada Top Tier Status has three levels: Prestige (P), Elite (E), and Super Elite (SE). The requirements for the status levels can be found on the Air Canada website: http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan/toptier.html

Note: Air Canada Top Tier Status requires a minimum number of flight segments or miles flown on Air Canada aircraft. If you only fly on non-Air Canada flights, you cannot earn Air Canada Top Tier Status. (this requirement began in the 2011 program year)

7. When will I receive my new status?

The program year is from March 1st to February 28th/29th. Strictly speaking, all benefits are available only within that timeframe. In practice, you often can receive some benefits such as lounge access before March 1st, if you have received your annual benefits kit or have printed off your status information from the website. This is not guaranteed, and only works within Canada when using Star Alliance Gold benefits.​

If you earn status quickly enough during the calendar year, you may receive Early Status Recognition, which means that you will have access to status benefits for the current program year and the following year. For more information, please visit the Early Status Recognition thread.​

Annual benefit kits for status are delivered in the January to February timeframe each year. It is not possible to know exactly when your kit will arrive. For more information, you can visit the Benefits Package Delivery thread.​

8. I missed getting status by x points. Will I get it anyway?

There is no guarantee if you do not meet the published requirements on the Air Canada website. If top tier status is important to you, ensure that you meet those requirements. Some members have received status without matching the requirements in the past for various reasons, but there is no guarantee and no one can tell you whether you will receive this same treatment.​

9. Now that I have status, how do I check my eUpgrade balance?

The Air Canada eUpgrade Site lists your current balance and the required credits for all distance and fare combinations. You can also learn more (and post your questions!) in the MilePoint eUpgrade Discussion thread.​

10. What food and drink options will I have on my flight?

11. What kind of seat will I have on my flight?

Note that you can find the best seats on your specific flight by carefully checking the Equipment Type from your current itinerary at http://www.aircanada.com/aco/manageMyBookings.do against the seat maps at http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Air_Canada/information.php

Learn more in the Air Canada Fleet thread.​

12. What TV shows and Movies will I have on my flight?

13. Who should I contact for questions about points, crediting missing points, booking a reward ticket, changing seats on a reward (points) ticket on Air Canada, checking point expiry, transferring points, or Air Canada Top-Tier status?

Aeroplan, www.aeroplan.com, 1-800-361-5373​

14. Who should I contact for questions about a revenue (non-points) ticket on Air Canada, lost luggage on an Air Canada flight, flight status of an Air Canada flight, delays of an Air Canada flight, service complaints or compliments for an Air Canada flight?

Air Canada, www.aircanada.com, 1-888-247-2262​

15. Who should I contact for any questions regarding a non-Air Canada flight, whether booked by revenue or points?

The operating airline.​

(last update 2011-03-04 - gotta figure out a better numbering approach!)

2MM_Guy, Exit Row, jarusoba and 8 others like this.
  2. rehoult
    Original Member

rehoult Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great idea, look forward to seeing it expanded.

3. c_9
    Original Member

c_9 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Updated 2011-02-10 with great suggestions from ACMM!

4. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are Aeroplan Miles Redeemable for One-Way Awards?
    Yes but only applicable for AC or AC Jazz awards. Awards for travel among other Star Alliance Airlines cannot be redeemed for one way travel.

5. flying-gal
    Original Member

flying-gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    When will my new AC 2011 package arrive?[​IMG]

jarusoba likes this.
  6. jarusoba
    Original Member

jarusoba Silver Member

Status Points:
    I want to know too. Both my wife and I are still waiting for our SE packages...

7. flying-gal
    Original Member

flying-gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mine arrived today after supposedly being mailed on Jan.28th.

8. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad it arrived ... bottom line is they still have a couple of weeks to get to you.

9. c_9
    Original Member

c_9 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Updated 2011-03-02. More suggestions welcome any time!

10. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lets make sure we do a wiki for this when wikis are turned on for us. Until then c_9 thanks so much for your efforts here!

11. 2MM_Guy
    Original Member

2MM_Guy Gold Member

Status Points:
    One suggestion for a topic:

What is AC responsible for vs. what is AP responsible for...

12. c_9
    Original Member

c_9 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the suggestions, 2MM_Guy and Rejuvenated! Updated again.

13. 2MM_Guy
    Original Member

2MM_Guy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Suggest a reword on #13

Who should I contact for questions about a revenue (non-points) ticket on Air Canada, lost luggage on an Air Canada flight, flight status of an Air Canada flight, status related information such as early recognition, points thresholds, eUpgrades; delays of an Air Canada flight, service complaints or compliments for an Air Canada flight?

14. c_9
    Original Member

c_9 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds good to me, but are you certain that all of "status related information such as early recognition, points thresholds, eUpgrades" is Air Canada's responsibility? I would have guessed (with no experience, just guessing) that Aeroplan would be involved with early recognition, no? Maybe it's AC first, then AE? Will update once I see reply/replies. Thanks 2MM!