Aeromar (VW) Flights now available for MileagePlus award redemption on united.com

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by UA Insider, May 9, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. UA Insider
    Original Member

UA Insider Official Representative

Status Points:
    Hi Everyone,

A few minutes ago, we launched award booking functionality for Aeromar (VW) flights on united.com. You can now use MileagePlus miles to redeem for any Aeromar flight.

As you may know, Aeromar is a business-oriented Mexican regional airline that operates an average of 100 daily flights throughout Mexico (plus limited international service to McAllen, TX).

Aaron Goldberg
    Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
    United Airlines

Golfingboy, Flyer1976 and Rob like this.
  2. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey Aaron,
    Just wondering, what's the deal with the taxes/fees on Aeromar? For example, I'm searching MEX-MFE on 5/17/13 and the Aeromar nonstop lists $68.98 of taxes/fees ($5 APHIS, $7 US Immigration, $5.50 US Customs, $27.33 Mexico Departure, $24.15 Mexico Tourism) whereas the UA connection through IAH lists $47.33 of taxes/fees ($5 APHIS, $7 US Immigration, $5.50 US Customs, $27.33 Mexico Departure, and $2.50 US September 11th Security Fee). Why the difference in the Mexico Tourism fee?

3. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am guessing it has to do with the Mexican Airport Embarkation Tax. Aeromar seems to include it in the ticket but UA doesn't for some reason. It would have to be paid at the airport then.

4. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    International departure taxes are the norm throughout Latin America, although they vary greatly from country to country. I have to pay $28 every time I leave Costa Rica, no matter how long I stay. In Colombia, I can stay up to 90 days without a departure fee. Panama has no fee. I can't remember how much Nicaragua charged me, but there was a fee. They also charged an arrival fee.

You can find plenty of whining on Tripadvisor from tourists who were unprepared for what awaited them when departing a country with their families. It can add up fast.