Aer Lingus to AA (DUB-BRU-SFO)

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by tom911, Mar 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not wanting to miss my yearly winter visit to Ireland, I booked a ticket into London, did train/ferry over to Dublin (33 pounds/$US53, 9 hour trip), and then after 10 days on the ground there flew home from Dublin.

When I booked this ticket the AA website gave me the options of early morning departures on Aer Lingus DUB-BRU or DUB-MAN, connecting to AA metal at either of those. As the 767-300 cabin was empty BRU-ORD (2 seats occupied, and they may have been crew rest seats), I opted for the 0640 Aer Lingus flight over there to connect. All systemwide upgrades (for 3) cleared at booking except for BRU-ORD which did not show availability up front. 10 minutes after confirming the other flights I received a call back from the EXP desk confirming that segment for all of us. Nice of them to call. [​IMG]

Aer Lingus flies out of the new terminal at Dublin Airport. Was through security there in 5 minutes with my shoes on. With a departure that early I stayed at a hotel near the airport for 52 euros that had a 5am shuttle departure to the airport ($US70).

Flight time was about 90 minutes and recleared security quickly for the AA flight. Even got 20 minutes to visit the BA lounge. AA would not accept my Aer Lingus boarding pass and reprinted new ones at the gate. Agent came on the plane to ask me how the connection had went, and I remarked that it was flawless. I'd readily do this one again, though with ORD-DUB service starting up April 5 there may not be a need (shows up on the winter schedule right now).

2. KimK
    Original Member

KimK Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good to know there remain some AA options for DUB but this is certainly one of the many international locations AA has all but abandoned with a list that seems to be sadly growing (My sad FranKfurt cut backs too).

3. pauleeepaul
    Original Member

pauleeepaul Active Member

Status Points:
    I too am a regular visitor to Ireland, 2-3 times per year. Often on AA connecting through LHR, and usually spending a couple of days in London one way or the other. I have taken the ferry vs flying exactly once- almost 20 years ago, but i remember the pain like it was yesterday. Long dark drive through Wales, 3 am departure, rough seas, disorganized arrival etc. We were scheduled to do the ferry roundtrip but while in Ireland I booked tickets on some Euro LCC into Stansted, at considerable cost at a point in life when i didn't have a lot of $, but it was that bad.

Has it gotten better?

4. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've done bus/ferry before from Dublin to London and once was enough for that. I've never driven the London-Holyhead stretch. We had a several hour delay entering the harbor at Holyhead due to rough seas in the winter, and then a long bus ride down to London. Think that was one of the 1am departures from Dublin. I didn't sleep much on that trip and just won't do an overnight trip again (but then I won't do overnight trains in Europe, either, as I just can't sleep).

One thing that was a consideration on this trip was to take the slow ferry versus the fast ferry because they're more reliable in bad weather and won't be canceled. I had a prepaid hotel booking in Dublin and wanted to try my best to be there. The seas were calm on this trip until about an hour outside Dublin when rain started falling, so a smooth sailing and I'd readily do it again. On both trains we had prebooked seats at a table that seats four, so a comfortable journey and free wi-fi from google on both segments (that offer expired end of February). The ferry was empty so plenty of room to spread out (I was told that the day before it went out full and that may have corresponded with the start of school holidays there).

I could have done the fast ferry at 5pm and left London later in the morning, but if for some reason that service was cancelled due to rough seas the next service is the overnight slow ferry.

I took the Irish Ferry Ulysses which is a slow ferry that holds over 2,000 cars and has one full passenger deck with food and pub options, as well as a second deck with some limited seating. There is also access to the top deck if you want to go outside for some fresh air.

When I priced a Sunday flight from London to Dublin on Aer Lingus they were coming up at about $125, plus extra charges to check luggage, so a considerable savings at $53 for train/ferry for a party of three. Enjoyed the 4 hour train ride with one connection at Crewe (only have to connect on Sundays). I'd do the whole trip again if the cost savings was significant and I had the time.

I did a lot of my research on seat61.com which does an excellent job covering the service available between London and Dublin.

The ferry trip photos start HERE though that location may change in a few weeks as I move things around.

[​IMG]

weinskkb and TheIceTrojan like this.