Aegean Gold status

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by jgg630, Aug 16, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have a trip booked to get Gold status through Aegean Airlines. My question is, from this point forward all my flights need to be booked using my Aegean number in order to use benefits, is this correct?

Can Aegean miles be transferred or combined with United miles or vice versa?

Thank you

2. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not the expert but:
    1. For sure, you cannot combine United and Aegean miles into a single account.
    2. In order for Gold status to be recognized, your Aegean FF # should be associated with your itinerary at the time boarding passes are printed. I believe you can then change the number with a gate agent to actually credit the flight to a different account. You may also be able to receive your benefits if you actually carry your Aegean membership card and show that at lounges and during boarding, but I'm not sure if it would work for the baggage allowance (which may be controlled by software, not people).

3. danielwood

danielwood Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is that possible to achieve Aegean Gold status just by booking ticket but NOT actually taking flight?

ACMM likes this.
  4. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    No. You never accrue flight miles for flights you don't actually take.

ACMM likes this.
  5. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    H*ll. sometimes you do not get the miles for the flights you do take! :eek: ;)

(Posted from my milepoint enabled iPhone)

gaijin62 likes this.
  6. pasban

pasban New Member

Status Points:
    You may consider CZ (China Southern Airlines), a lot of people may not realize that they are operating in km not miles. In order to get to Elite, it's 40,000 km = 18182 miles. For Elite Plus is 80,000 km = 36364 miles. Hope that info helps. Thank you!

Counsellor likes this.
  7. GenevaFlyer
    Original Member

GenevaFlyer Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    With 1 mile being 1.6 km, 40'000 km is actually 24'855 miles.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer

8. asa_ha

asa_ha New Member

Status Points:
    Chinese airlines for sure operates in kms. However, when you credit the miles from a mile-based carrier to CZ(or MU), they simply change the unit from mi to km without multiplying it by 1.6 and that's horrible because all its tier-qualifications are meant for km-based mileage accrual.

I personally recommend FlyingBlue for its easy qualification to be a SkyTeam E+.

9. nat22

nat22 Active Member

Status Points:
    Can you use the upgrade to business-given to gold members-for someone else? It seems to go through in they're system, is there any risk involved? Has anyone done this? TIA

10. nat22

nat22 Active Member

Status Points:
    i recently did this and it worked like a charm

11. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure it's that easy to get Elite Plus with Flying Blue, or to keep the miles. You have to be elite to stop miles from expiring, or actually fly Sky Alliance once every 20 months. Other points activity (redemptions, partner earnings such as hotel or rental car) won't do the trick. Additionally, the number of fare classes earning 100% mileage credit is limited.

12. GenevaFlyer
    Original Member

GenevaFlyer Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Flying Blue does have a relatively easy way to get to Eite+ which is segment qualification. 30 segments per year, and you are Elite Plus. And with 1 flight every 20 months, you do not have the expiry that some programs have like LH's.

13. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depending on where you are located, 30 segments may be easy or hard. If located in Europe, and not in Paris or Amsterdam, it's not that hard to get 4-segment flights through one of the hubs and you can use cheap fares for the segments, so 8 RTs would do the trick for probably $1000 outlay. If located in the US and having to rely on Delta, it could get harder (and more expensive). I would think 30 segments in Asia would be even harder.

As to expiry, with LH either being elite or having an M&M credit card (and using it at least once a month) preserves miles from expiration. With DL, miles (currently) don't expire at all, and for UA and AA any transaction (not just flying) keeps them alive.

14. RCTP

RCTP Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm curious to see what's the tier miles purchase gonna be like once it gets implemented in October.