Aegean Baggage Policies?

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by Pizzaman, Apr 27, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Anyone have experience with how strict Aegean is on carry-on and checked baggage policies? Trying to figure out how many checked bags I want to pre-purchase and I have a bag or two that could be considered a carry-on for weight but are likely over the size requirements. Trying to figure out if I should push my luck or pre-purchase and save on the fee.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've only flown them in business class and without status, but they never blinked/checked/questioned my bags and I never paid much attention to their rules, assuming that nothing would differ much from business class on other airlines. [Yes, I know this is naive.]

3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I found this note on the Star Alliance website as a footnote to the extra baggage allowance for Star Alliance Gold:

This benefit may only be available if travelling on two or more Star Alliance member airlines on a single ticket. Please contact the Star Alliance member airline with whom you will check-in with for further details.

4. Frenchie Flyer

Frenchie Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I flew Aegean in March. I was looking at the other passengers who seemed to have impossibly small bags and I had what would be a small enough bag for the overhead (20") on most any airline, but now seemed large. So I got in line to board and the nice folks took my bag and gate checked it. No charge. YMMV.

Pizzaman likes this.
  5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Thanks, Frenchie. With 5 of us traveling and everyone but me over-packing, I'm hoping for your experience. ;)

6. GoldenFlyer

GoldenFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    BossWass and MoufidaLAA like this.
  7. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yeah, I reviewed their material before flying, though it didn't end well (but not horribly so). They honored my StarAlliance Gold status for an extra checked bag up to the weight limit but that benefit was only extended to me, not anyone on my PNR. This was consistent with the website language.

I showed the ticket agent my bags that we would be carrying on and asked her if they met the requirements. She said yes. Even though that's nowhere near a guarantee, I felt reasonably good about it since I hate checking my bag.

At the gate, an agent came over to tag our bags since she said they wouldn't fit in the overhead bins. Mine was the biggest and still fit within the measurements, but she said that all our rolling carry-ons needed to be tagged. I pushed back a bit, showing her the other bags were smaller than mine.

She tagged them all and said that we could try to fit them in the overhead bins. If they didn't fit, she said we would already be tagged, saving time. That should have been a red flag to me but it wasn't.

When we got to the bottom of the jetbridge the flight attendant refused to allow any of the bags on because they were already tagged. I noted to her that some were smaller and repeated what the gate agent had told me. The FA refused to board the bags. She lifted one of the bags up and said, "This is over 8kg. These bags are too heavy."

I noted that not all the bags were that heavy, pointing at one for my son that was much smaller. She said she would check with the captain. She came back a moment later and said the captain refused to fly with my overweight bags in the bins.

I asked her to have them priority tagged since that was something we were entitled to. On cue, the original gate agent came down and priority tagged them. I queried her about our earlier conversation and she said, "Captain's orders."

Of the bags we had, only one could even have been over the weight requirement, though I'm still not certain. But, we weren't in a huge rush so it didn't make sense to cause a scene when it was pretty clear at this point the bags weren't coming on the plane.

My biggest concern setting out was being charged for the bags and we weren't charged. So, hard for me to be too frustrated at the situation. One of the bags did end up being a long wait at our destination but all the others came out in s timely manner.

All told, no harm no foul. There was plenty of empty overhead bin space on the plane so the bags definitely could have gone on (flight was full either). Whether this is an indication of how strict they are at all times about bags on the plane is unclear. But, the bottom line is that they appear to respect the sizing in terms of not charging me for the bags when we showed up at the gate.

8. GoldenFlyer

GoldenFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually the 8kg discussion is not respected sometimes, only if they want to make your trip harder.
    I give you an exemple if you travel with Air France low fares so only 8kg cabin bag generally it will never pass in CDG but in ORL no body is controlling if it is 8kg or no so a little bit of luck and you need to be in the true place during the true time i wish you got a nice trip.

BossWass, MoufidaLAA and ProfEssaied like this.