Aegean Airlines Miles and Bonus

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | Europe' started by sma_15, Aug 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sma_15

sma_15 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see that their thresholds are much lower than most other programmes. Is there any drawback to flying with them to get the status easier? Is it better to go with someone else like Asiana (easier possibility of lifetime status), United or USAir (other bonus and partner opportunities for redemptions).

aegis likes this.
  2. sma_15

sma_15 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another question I have is this... can I use USAir miles for an award ticket but use an Aegean card for the gold status benefits on that flight such as priority check in, lounge access, etc... or does it only work on revenue flights?

aegis likes this.
  3. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    All *A counts towards status miles (subject to eligible fares). You do not need to fly Aegean. Indeed, even the 1000 mile sign up bonus counts!

You can use a different FFP for status benefits on a mileage award. Either show the card with status (e.g. at lounge entry) or get the FFP number entered into the FQTS field (e.g. at check in).

aegis likes this.
  4. sma_15

sma_15 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I looked through the fare classes... it does not look like many fares are excluded except for many really really discounted ones.

aegis likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do they still give out multi-year status? I.e., status earned this year is good through 2013 0r 2014? And if you earn *Gold now on A3, when must you earn the next 16,000 status miles to continue as *Gold?

6. PVDtoDEL

PVDtoDEL Active Member

Status Points:
    Status is multi-year, but if you are inactive (not crediting flights to them), they will cancel your status. I usually credit all of my miles to them because I don't want them to go broke - the way they pay for lounge access is other airlines buying their miles, and if you're not crediting to them, then they don't get income, which will prompt them to increase mileage tiers

aegis, wombat18 and kiwi like this.
  7. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, as of May, when I earned Gold thru 12/2014.

I have NO idea what is required to requalify . . . I'm taking a wait and see approach.

I have had no difficulty with respect to getting *A Gold benefits (including domestic lounge access) when presenting my card. The only thing that has vexxed me is that when I have checked into the US lounge, they have changed my earning from Continental to Aegean. These have been on DCA-BOS trips, so they do not entail heaps of miles, but I may try to determine what I must do to prevent this.

aegis likes this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The question would be whether lounge access requires that the flight used for access in connection with *Gold be credited to the airline of the *Gold card.

Since *A won't match status with each other, it would seem logical that someone who has moved be allowed to use the *Gold status earned last year at the previous location while flying this year and earning status on the new carrier for the new location. Otherwise, *A is almost forcing someone who moves to change to another alliance.

aegis likes this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remember that a regular AmEx Plat charge card gives access to all US lounges even if not travelling US, so it might be possible and better just not to show a *Gold card for US lounges.

aegis likes this.
  10. GenevaFlyer
    Original Member

GenevaFlyer Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Hi all,

Rather than starting a new thread, I figured I would ask the assembly of experts in this one.

I'm starting my march towards status with Aegean, and have a trip coming up which I could route to *Alliance, and thus credit to Aegean. However, I do have a question about what happens with the 4'000 and 16'000 miles thresholds.

This is my scenario:
    - I have my 1'000 welcome tier miles.
    - I'm now likely to fly BRU-ORD-EWR-BRU on UA (Z fare).
    - My first flight would credit 8'300 miles or so, followed by 1'400 from the second flight of the day, so well past the 4'000 mile threshold for Blue.

The question: what happens at the threshold? Do they (a) reset your tier miles to 0, or (b) do they just subtract 4'000?
    If (a), I would "lose" around 6'700 tier miles. If (b), I would be fine.

An ancillary question, is it really true that flights on Brussels Airlines only receive a flat miles credit, regardless of distance?

Thanks in advance for your guidance!

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer