AE Miles after June 2020

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by londoncalling, Aug 1, 2017.  |  Print Topic

1. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but. He still doesn't know exactly what will happen. Yes, we can use those point between now and 2020 as before, but we don't know what value they will have after the split, or what uses they will have. Some uses, yes, but we don't know what. We'll have to wait to find out who gets the China and who takes the kids.

mevlannen likes this.
  3. BackSlash

BackSlash Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it's more likely that we have until early-mid 2019 before anything really changes.

Aeroplan is going to have to announce something before June 2020 and when they announce those changes the public at large will remember the deadline and start trying to use their miles. Availability won't get better but the demand spike will make it difficult to get flight rewards.

In the mean time, I'm enjoying the promos as Aeroplan and the CC partners try to cash on before all hell breaks loose.

I feel kinda bad for TD and CIBC fighting it out for the Aeroplan CC deal and then to have Air Canada announce the end of the partnership has got to sting, but I am looking forward to the new credit card sign up bonuses. Also new programs tend to be high value while they try to attract a membership before the long and slow devaluation process.

4. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm. Back up to 69,000 points, and not presently holding SE, there's no J IKK to ease things along. I wonder whether I can obtain a toaster for everyone in my workgroup?

YULtide likes this.
  5. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    So the big question is what will the new Air Canada system look like. Will it still be called Altitude? How many different kinds of points will it have? How will points be earned and spent? What partners will it line up?

mevlannen likes this.
  6. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, then.

It needs a name that is disponible également en anglais qu'en français, so, I propose:

Elevation

or

Pterodactyl (my current favourite, since I have long been referring to status as 'quintuple secret pterodactyl wings', and to the MLL as 'le club des pterodactyls'.

However, in keeping with the inconsistency which is so consistent at AC, I still think of the desk agents as 'dragons' rather than 'pterodactyls'.

As to partners? How about we start with my Darling Spouse, to whom I was long-accustomed to give an E50K card during my heady years of SE-by-segments in Western Canada! As to (harrumph) bank partners, how about we make a change and go with credit unions instead of the Big Five?

As to sorts of points: well, of course there are special super secret pterodactyl points granted for segments which originate or terminate on Vancouver Island, in Haida Gwa'ii, Prince Edward Island, Cape Breton Island, or Newfoundland. After all, the upcoming new AC programme is supposed to be competetive with those wretchedly-overpriced ferry services.

A girl can dream, anyway.

YULtide likes this.