advice wanted SFO to germany summer 2014

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by sonomaguy, Aug 22, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sonomaguy

sonomaguy New Member

I hope I'm posting this in the correct spot. If it needs to be somewhere else please let me know.

My family of 4 is hoping to use rewards points to get from the san francisco area to northern germany next summer (best airports are DUS then FRA). We would love to fly direct if possible but one stop with convenient layover is ok as well. We aer hoping for a 10 to 14 day trip in july 2014. We have the following points:

AMEX - 287k
    American Air - 248k
    chase freedom card (ultimate rewards) - 117k

Can someone please offer some advice on my best strategy? I also saw there might be some milpoint members who offer this advice for a fee, please feel free to post here with contact info.

2. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Some thoughts to get you started....

Your AA miles are enough for a party of 4 round trip at 60K each in the summer. Your bigger challenge might be finding 4 seats on the same flights. Can you split your party up? Are you willing to fly to different airports?

Off the top of my head, Air Berlin (AA partner) flies LAX-DUS and JFK-DUS and AA flies ORD-DUS and DFW-FRA. There might be other options besides these with AA or Iberia via London or Madrid. Have you ruled out Berlin (TXL)? Air Berlin flies there from JFK and ORD (might be some other airports, too--take a look at MIA). If I saw 4 seats to Berlin before the others, I'd jump on those and book rail tickets to get over to Dusseldorf (5 hour trip). The Deutschebahn rail site is user-friendly in English though you can't book until closer to departure (think the schedule loads 90 days out). I've done a lot of travel around the country on 29-49 euro tickets booked a few weeks out.

It might be possible to start your trip from the Sonoma County Airport with an AA award segment on Horizon to LAX, if there's availability, and avoid the trip to SFO.

Your Star Alliance nonstop options from SFO would include United or Lufthansa into FRA. Again, if you see fights to other places like the nonstop LH flight to Munich (MUC), I'd jump on that, too, and book rail around it versus holding out for something else to open up. Not sure if you have enough non-AA points to make any of these work as I don't have those accounts. One option that might take a little longer is SAS coming down from Scandanavia (nonstop SFO-Copenhagen, runs 6 days a week).

You should be able to check some of these options on the AA and UA websites. The AA website will not show Iberia connections via Madrid, though (they fly LAX-MAD, JFK-MAD, MIA-MAD, possibly other routes, too). I'd initially just check for 1 seat to see what's out there and then start adding on seats to see what the maximum available are.

Good luck.
  3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

IB's other US routes are BOS-MAD and ORD-MAD. :)
  4. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

If you want to use AA miles I strongly suggest you concentrate on AB if looking online or perhaps put in a call to check on IB availability.

As one who is (and has been for a while) keeping a close eye on AA awards for next year . ( but mostly on Expertflyer) is currently NOT showing any IB inventory or even flights and there is very, very little in terms of coach awards for the entire upcoming year.

Forget C class awards... expect for LHR they are currently pretty much non-existent for most cities in Europe except for a few scattered individual awards for FCO and MXP.

Unless AA loads some increased inventory its not a real pretty sight