Advice wanted on route options – First WAS -> Phuket – Fly United for shorter route or keep Asiana?

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by iolaire, Jan 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is my first Star Alliance award. I was very happy to book a flight to HKT including Asian, but it has a daytime flight from DCA -> LAX with stops and its 29 hours when the shorted routes can be 23 hours, so I’m continuing to look at my options. I’ve played around with KVS and the Contential site quite a bit and found two options – plus my currenly booked flights.

I’m trying to decied if it is worth giving up a long hall flight in Asian to convert two shorter UA hops into single long hall UA First flight.

Here are my options
    Currently Booked – (11/17) 29 hours – DCA (UA) -> CHI (UA) -> LAX (OZ) -> ICN (OZ) -> HKT (no long layovers) – have to fly across country in AM – one more segment than other flights – gets in late at night – Asiana is a one of the best carriers

Option 1 – (11/17) 28 hours – IAD (UA) -> LHR (TG) -> BKK (TG) -> HKT - (4 hour AM layover in London plus layover in BKK) – but on plus side is Thai so free massages in BKK and arrives in AM at a good time for checking into a hotel, can adjust BKK layover to allow time for massage.

Option 2 – (11/18) (23 hours) IAD (UA) -> PEK (TG) -> BKK (TG) -> HKT (short layovers) short flight but gets in very late (still) and day later so one less day of vacation – also long hall is United which will not be as good as other international carries

Any thoughts – is it worth it to have two flights in domestic UA first to experience Asiana First? At this point I’ve only flown First on CX and Business on AF (and Business/First on domestic AA).

Thank you

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a bit confusing: How can a 23-hr trip (Option 2) get you in later and cost you one more day of vacation than a 28-hr (Option 1) or 29-hr (current Option) trip? Other than that confusing bit, I would go with Option 2.

iolaire likes this.
  3. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Personally it would be a toss between having option #1 and what you currently have. I have flown UA F IAD-PEK (old F thought) and what can I say, I was underwhelmed. I would rather take option #1 with short flight on UA F - but get TG great treatment on the longer runs. Domestic F is nothing unless you can get 3 class planes out of IAD.

iolaire likes this.
  4. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, the difference is the flight is on the 18th rather than the 17th. It’s a much shorter flight but it leaves a day later, and later in the PM so the net effect is it leaves a day later in PM (rather than AM), and gets in 24 hours later.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had not noticed the date, thanks. I still like Option 2 because it is more direct and shorter. I would go the longest way if it were a paid trip so that I could accumulate EQMs. For award trips, I usually go for the most direct itinerary.

iolaire likes this.
  6. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    That would also be my usual strategy - but in this case the different in service would be a big consideration influencing my decision. Considering the trip is a minimum of 23 hours as it is, a couple of hours here or there will not make a big difference. Considering the most direct route will be one less day of vacation will reduce the desirability of this option considerably. At least for me.

iolaire likes this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are all segments in FC for all three options? Have you considered the lounge quality for long layovers? Is DCA more convenient for you than IAD? Are the late arrivals too late for the airport express train?

iolaire likes this.
  8. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    All segments (that matter to me) are first class - except for the Asian segments on two class planes in all options (ICN (OZ) -> HKT or BKK (TG) -> HKT)

Only option 1 would have significant lounge time – four hours in the AM in LHR prior to a TG flight – I don’t know how that lounge would be lounge expect my experience last year we did 3-4 hours in the AM in an AF CDG lounge after an overnight flight – it was not fun. But if we did the LHR route we could experience TG First Lounge in BKK – but again I worry about the four hours in LHR. That route does arrive at a good time.

DCA (current routing) is most convenient, switching to IAD is a little less convent but not too bad. We are local and find public transportation to both airports straightforward…

9. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    As another local, I avoid IAD as much as possible. At least until the metro gets there. But even then, the airport is a dump especially the UA "temporary" section.

iolaire likes this.
  10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The shuttle bus between the metro and IAD makes me avoid this airport if I have any choice.

11. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    We use the 5a from Rosalyn and are happy with it, but we are public transportation people.

Thanks for the suggestions, we are staying with our current route, unless something better pops up. I realized that the domestic BKK to HKT flight would mean a domestic Thai lounge with out the massage...