Advice Please, Need a New Empower Adapter

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by gleff, Mar 28, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Ok, I thought I was done with this old technology.

But, my empower adapter died some time ago.

Most planes don't require an adapter anymore, but I have at least 3 roundtrips coming up of 8+ hours per direction with AA (767, 772) where the inflight power will require it.

I've had my own external battery for laptops so haven't even bothered. But I can't find a tip for my new laptop that'll work for the battery.

So any advice how to power a Lenovo t440s or Yoga 2 Pro (they have the same tip, but I haven't seen one that goes with an adapter or external battery)?

Either an empower adapter or external battery with tip that's compatible?

Much obliged for any advice.

2. mikew99
    Original Member

mikew99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just to clarify, on AA I have (so far) found either regular 3-prong plugs or (more frequently) cigarette lighter plugs. Could you be referring to UA?

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely not. UA hasn't had those for a long, long time. AA's older planes require the older plugs.

I had one I got at J&R a while ago but I finally binned it as I was no longer using it. They don't seem to sell the same one any more.

Something like this is about what I had and about the same price. That one goes up to 150 watts which might trip a breaker on the outlet on board.

This one is cheaper/smaller but depends on the tips and if you're not finding one you need then I'd be skeptical.

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yeah, I had a Kensington one and an empower adapter but no tips for my machine...

And the AA international fleet outside the 777-300ER still features the old cigarette lighter plugs. :(