Advice on Where to Credit Miles for Upcoming Trip?

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by remo80222, Feb 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. remo80222
    Original Member

remo80222 Active Member

Status Points:
    Looking for some advice regarding what FF program to credit upcoming miles from RT DEN-MUC flights (on US) for my wife. DEN-PHL is in A and PHL-MUC is in Z class both ways. I am crediting my miles to A3 as this will put me right at *A Gold based on booking class bonuses for A3. For my wife any advice on what FF program to credit to? She is not concerned about status on any airline as she does not fly enough. So current thinking would be to credit miles to her AC account as we have redeemed miles on AC for overseas trips after transferring in miles from AMEX MR, Starwood, etc. Any thoughts and/or other ideas on other *A programs to credit to?

2. IMH
    Original Member

IMH Silver Member

Status Points:
    That itinerary would bring over 25,000 redeemable miles with BD, with *A Silver thrown in as a bonus.

That said, fewer miles in an Aeroplan account that will also accept top ups from Starwood and MR might make sense for an occasional flyer. Just watch out for expiry.

3. qasr
    Original Member

qasr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Depends on how much she has in other accounts. If the miles will get you to an interesting point with AC, then go there.

Otherwise, the spending abilities with BD are unmatched--I'd go there.

4. unroadwarrior
    Original Member

unroadwarrior Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, BD is the most 'liberal' when it comes to spending power.

5. Always Be Flying
    Original Member

Always Be Flying Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would definitely use BD - earning power is far superior to UA/US/CO, *gold fairly easy to attain, and good spending power as mentioned above. Also, since it looks as if DC will not roll into M&M this year, you would get the added benefit of more time to accumulate miles to possibly become M&M Senator when DC is moved to M&M.

6. IMH
    Original Member

IMH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MiPo, Always Be Flying! [​IMG]

Good point but -- remembering that remo80222's wife doesn't fly enough to be concerned about status -- it should be said that M&M isn't a great programme for infrequent fliers. M&M miles expire after three years unless you have status or an M&M credit card.

I'd still recommend BD, but I'd aim to either use the miles quickly or transfer them (via a household account) to someone who will be able to use them if they get moved over to M&M.

7. Alect
    Original Member

Alect Silver Member

Status Points:
    So isn't the other important consideration in terms of earn/burn rates and selecting DC is whether you can accrue enough miles this year and also redeem them before the roll up into M&M presumably next year?

Always Be Flying likes this.
  8. Always Be Flying
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes that is a good question and consideration. For me it is not as big a consideration, for while DC is much better than M&M for awards, it is still easier to accumulate more in DC or M&M toward awards than it would be in the alternatives for me (UA or AC).

As an aside, this biggest problem I have with M&M it that one only accrues status miles for any flight that touches Europe if you are flying LH family metal.

9. IMH
    Original Member

IMH Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd agree, for the infrequent flier in OP's question. The best possible scenario would be earning DC miles and booking a great redemption itinerary on DC terms. That's perfectly possible with the 25,000 or so miles being discussed here. If it were me, I'd purchase enough miles to top up to 37,500 for a cash+miles business class TATL return. Bear in mind that finding availability and booking award flights involves some time and effort.

If that's not possible, or too much work, then bmi probably isn't the way to go -- and an infrequent flier should be wary of M&M.

As far as timing goes, I wouldn't rely on "presumably next year" unless I was based somewhere served by bmi flights. They've said that DC is safe this year, but that might not stop them discontinuing membership in one or other countries. All speculation, of course, much more of which can easily be found on other boards.

I think you're mistaken here. You can collect M&M status and redeemable miles on most Star Alliance flights. There are exceptions and non-qualifying booking codes, but no blanket exclusion of the kind you describe.

10. Always Be Flying
    Original Member

Status Points:

I hope that is true, the LH site is very confusing on this - they only list non LH-family accrual tables under the category "Flights from / to / between non-European destinations."

11. IMH
    Original Member

IMH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now I see where the misunderstanding is coming from. You're right: their site could definitely be clearer. You can find their full list of airline partners here. When you select a particular airline, you'll see a table with different sections, and the explanation (including their bolding):

Interpreted in this context, a flight "from / to / between non-European destinations" means a flight that does not both begin and end in Europe. You can earn miles flying between Europe and another continent, flying between continents not including Europe and for flying within a country or continent outside Europe. Trust me, I've done all three.

Just be sure to check the earnings table before booking your flights.

The fixed mileage rates for flights within Europe mean that you earn very few miles in discount economy, usually just 125 miles per segment, but can earn very quickly on multi-segment trips in business class (8,000 for a return trip involving two border-crossing segments in each direction, e.g. FRA-ZRH-MAD and back, increasing to 10,000 if you have M&M status and qualify for the "executive bonus").

It's a great FFP for some people, but definitely not for every travel pattern.

Always Be Flying likes this.
  12. remo80222
    Original Member

remo80222 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the all of the advice. DC seems the way to go. However, one question as it relates to DC. How many miles are needed to attain DC Gold? My wife will get aprox. 25k miles with this trip. In reading the DC web site unclear to me if she needs to attain a total of 38k miles in a 12 month period OR a total of 38k miles over and above the 16k needed for BD Silver in a 12 month period? Thanks.

13. IMH
    Original Member

IMH Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's 38,000 from Silver to Gold, or to renew Gold.

So starting from scratch she'll need 16,000 + 38,000 -- but the clock for the 38,000 only starts ticking when she reaches Silver status.