Advice on redeeming AA awards

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Robin, Sep 21, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. Robin
    Original Member

Robin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any advice on redeeming AA award ticket to Europe June/July 2016? The only flights available are on BA which charge huge fees. I'm looking for saver business (preferable) and checked two weeks worth of availability to multiple cities from NYC. Even saver coach is difficult. gave up last year but now this is the only airline I have enough points.
    Thanks.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    How strict are your dates and where in Europe do you want to go? I see biz seats to HEL open on the Finnair nonstop in mid June. Search onward from there separately and build up a trip?

3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    do you mean 2017? Otherwise you can't find flights in the past VBG

4. Robin
    Original Member

Robin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to both responses, It is for 2017. I did see a flight via HEL with a 12hr layover arriving at 1am to where I wanted to go. Hoping there was more than 2 saver biz class tickets to Europe end of June that weren't on BA. Sounds like I should just keep searching to various cities in Europe or bite the bullet and take the long layover in HEL. Guess AA has very limited availability...

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA has limited flights to Europe on its own metal as it is. And NYC sees less than several other cities. You can try from PHL but it is seeing a number of routes cut next year.

Without knowing the final destination it is hard to give too much advice but also consider the challenges of getting onward connections on a single ticket versus buying a separate onward flight as necessary to get "there" without too much extra time.

eponymous_coward likes this.
  6. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Look for trips to Paris from ORD or DFW. They had a lot of availability this past summer.