Advice on Points for Euro Trip

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by rhoeffner, Mar 6, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. rhoeffner

rhoeffner New Member

Status Points:
    I'm sad to say that I let right at 40K points expire on my husband's AA account. We had purchased a vacation home and were spending all our time there and it didn't look like we would be traveling anymore. However, an opportunity presented itself for us to vacation in and around Rome this December.

I can re-acquire the expired points for $200 - I'm guessing it's worth it since that would be a round trip ticket for him in coach.

Questions:
    Is it worth the $200 to re-acquire them?
    What CC(s) should I apply for to acquire the additional 40K I need for my ticket?

I'm not looking for a continuing mileage builder strategy as we truly will probably not travel anymore after this trip. I'd like to fly on AA or BA or AB and I'm confused as to which CC rewards go with which airlines.

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    -if you're planning to use the 40k I think you should definitely get them back.
    -since i guess you don't want to do more one card,I'd go for a Citi AA.you can find 50k offers (after 2,5k spend)all over...or if you want there is a 40k offer too with only 1k spend.i recently got this but only because I had 6 other minimum spends to hit ;)

sidenote:if you're flying economy don't do BA,the "experience" doesn't worth the fuel surcharges...

edekba, emtesenair and Counsellor like this.
  3. rhoeffner

rhoeffner New Member

Status Points:
    Thank you. That's good to know about BA. Actually I don't mind getting more than one card and can handle the min. spends, I'm just having trouble locating links to the 50k and 40k. I got the 40k offer in the mail last week and threw it away... which I am now kicking myself for! I seem to always be behind the 8 ball! :)

After logging into my husband's AA account yesterday, I got an offer for a 35k card today in email, but I know there are better offers available.

I'm going to pay to retrieve the 40k today since that offer expires at the end of this month. Could anyone point me in the direction for the 50k and / or 40k cards? Thank you!

4. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
  5. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    emtesenair likes this.
  6. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it's a smart move to reacquire the 40,000 for $200. It's obviously unfortunate that they lapsed, but what's done is done and if you can get them back for only $200, I'd be all over it. I'll see if I can't dig up the link to the offer to help you out, but no guarantees I can find it again.

7. rhoeffner

rhoeffner New Member

Status Points:
    Thank you all so much for your help, links, and most importantly, your time in responding!

I was upset that I let the miles expire, but the silver lining is I caught it before the end of the month - which is when, according to AA website, they will no longer let you reacquire lost miles. So I'm at least thankful for the small victory against Murphy's Law!

I would try to complete the re-acquaint challenge, but by the time I paid the $30 then flew a round trip flight, I would be out more than the $200.

Thanks again!