Advice on piecing together an itinerary

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by keepinitsimple, Mar 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. keepinitsimple
    Original Member

keepinitsimple Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi

I am planning to take a vacation trip for 2 from HKG to New York using dividend miles. In C class. I and my wife have 90k miles in each of our accounts.

Would like some advice on piecing together an itinerary.

Basic itinerary: HKG-JFK/EWR return. Stopover in CDG on the return leg
    Dates:
    -- Best would be to be in New York on 13 May. I need to attend a meeting on 14 May, so the latest arrival is 13 May. I am ok with arriving before 13 May (10 May earliest)
    -- Return from New York preferred Jun 5, but can go till 12 Jun. We will be exploring US for 3 to 4 weeks. I will come up with a later post requesting suggested places to visit in the US once the itinerary is pieced together.
    -- Spend 5 nights in Paris and then back to Hong Kong

I am looking at
    HKG - IST (layover < 24 hrs) - FRA - JFK/EWR //return// JFK/EWR - CDG (stop) - HKG

Any other suggestions for an alternate itinerary keeping in mind:
    -- Options to explore some cities like IST and ZRH using <24hr layovers
    -- Chances of availability in C.

From the ANA tool, I checked availability for onward segments. It seems HKG-IST is available for 2 in F, but not C. Should I route via BKK? Instead of FRA, should I try MUC or ZRH or AMS?

Thanks in advance

2. fets
    Original Member

fets Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see availability for two in C on May 11 on HKG-IST, so you may want to start there, and go IST-FRA-EWR from there. (also found availability there, which gets you you to EWR the same day)

For the return, things aren't looking that good: first, CDG is NOT a *A hub, so a stopover in CDG is not really possible unless you find a willing agent, and second, availability in C on anything out of the east coast on June 5-9 is really low. It looks like the following might work:
    6/6 LH485 EWR-FRA, 7/6, LH1036 FRA-CDG, 13/6 TK1830 CDG-IST, 13/6 TK070 IST-HKG. That should give you about 10 hours to explore IST, but not a night. If the stopover is not allowed in CDG, you could do it in FRA instead and take a local flight or train to Paris.

hth

3. keepinitsimple
    Original Member

keepinitsimple Silver Member

Status Points:
    @fets - Thanks for the info