Advice on next Credit card churn

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Emos-closet, May 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Emos-closet
    Original Member

Emos-closet Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am trying to choose between applying for either the Hilton Honors Amex or Chase Sapphire for 50,000.

HH Honors will get me:
    20,000 points on first purchase, 30,000 points for spending $500 in the first 3 months, 10,000 points for first 4 stays charged to my card plus an additional 2,500 for signing up an additional cardmember. Total of 62,500 but realistically, I wont pay to stay 4 nights, so I will only get 52,500. The great part is it will extend my gold membership ( which expired 2 months ago) for another year ( free breakfast and upgrades) and I could stretch the amount of free stays using their new points and cash system. Currently I have only 22,000 points in my account plus a $200 one night Hilton gift certificate.

Chase sapphire will give me 50,000 points which I can use to apply to any hotel. I like to stay in 4-5 star properties so realistically this may only get me 2, maybe 3 nights, but they will be point generating stays which is always good.

Currently, I have Starwood gold and Priority Club Platinum status.

BeachMiles likes this.
  2. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are you talking about the Chase Sapphire Preferred? The one with the annual fee?

Keep in mind that with the Chase Sapphire Preferred you can transfer points 1:1 directly into Hyatt, IHG, or Marriott points for hotels (in addition to booking directly with points).

It also has no foreign transaction fees (which is why I picked it).

BeachMiles likes this.
  3. PointHoarder
    Original Member

PointHoarder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also, isn't the Chase Sapphire Preferred with 50K bonus a limited time offer?
    Couldn't you try applying for both on the same day?

BeachMiles likes this.
  4. Emos-closet
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I am referring to the Chase Sapphire preferred.

BeachMiles likes this.
  5. Emos-closet
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I already have two Chase cards ( BA and Priority Club), plus amex platinum, so I have no foreign transaction fee covered.

BeachMiles likes this.
  6. yaychemistry

Status Points:
    I would boil it down to a status benefit (HHonors gold) vs flexible points (Sapphire Ultimate rewards).

The Hilton points seem much easier to get ($500 spend). The Chase Sapphire required $3k spending in 3 months. I'm not sure about Hilton's redemption rates, but the Sapphire redemption is 1 point = 1.25 cents if you book on the Ultimate Rewards site.

BeachMiles likes this.
  7. BeachMiles
    Original Member

BeachMiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why not do a mini churn and apply for both on the same day. $500 + $3000 spend in 3 months should not be a problem. If you need a little help with the spend , buy some coins from the mint. Then wait 3 months or so before your next app. It is important to do one app right after the first. maybe even open separate windows.

k2o and yaychemistry like this.
  8. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    churn both on same day....or realize that its actually a no-brainer.
    the 50k sapphire UR points = 50k continental miles
    vs hhonors usually are worth 10:1 points to miles ratio
    from a strictly street value stand point the URs are worth way more
    but if you special needs for hilton points then your situation varies

k2o likes this.
  9. Emos-closet
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I rarely stay at Hilton, the few times I did I was lucky to have gold status and enjoyed the free breakfast and room upgrade.

My airline program is American. I pretty much have a lot invested with them and am trying for lifetime platinum status. I don't collect other airlines miles. Instead, I collect Amex points and SPG which I know can be easily transferred to other airlines should I ever need them.

I know a Hilton point is worth less than a Sapphire point. But sapphire points are similiar to AMEX, while Hilton is like priority club.I am thinking that Hilton points with their new points and cash is a good deal. But, I am not sure if Hilton properties are very nice.

I would apply for both cards but I have alot of inquiries lately and don't want to risk it. One just fell off my Credit report so that is why I think its safe for me to apply for one.

Should mention that I got the Cap one deal at 100,000 points and redeemed it for two 900 Hyatt certificates. Great deal!

10. yaychemistry

Status Points:
    I'm not sure how well the Hilton points are valued with the points and cash awards, but the Chase program has the "pay yourself back with points" option. Just pick a transaction and convert points for a statement credit (1 point = $0.01). That way you can sort of make your own points+cash award by paying yourself back with points.

11. sun
    Original Member

sun Silver Member

Status Points:
    Usually inquiries older than 6 months don't affect your credit card applications. Mortgage/auto loan applications might be different. So unless you have a lot of inquiries, you could try applying for both on the same day. If Chase and Amex don't pull from the same credit bureau in your state it works out even better.

12. yaychemistry

Status Points:
    oh yeah, and the Chase Sapphire Preferred is made out of some sort of metal (aluminum?) with a plastic coating, so it's got a nice weight to it.