Advice on mileage accumulation for Altitude status...

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by slalom, Aug 12, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just forecast through the end of the year, that if I stay healthy and travel according to my current schedule, I'll hit 97 segments this year. Most of my flights are short haul transborder originating in YYZ, 500 mile minimum, so I have no hope of hitting SE on miles, but will come very close on segments.

I've always believed that flying should be based on convenience rather than a preference for miles. I remember a few years back when a bunch of colleagues opted for a later AC flight from ORD rather than a more convenient AA option. Weather rolled in and with cancelled flights, and trouble rebooking, their 2 hours wait to get 500 status miles went from Friday afternoon to late Saturday. Given that, I'm loathe to change my behavior just to hit status....but I will be so close, I'm weighing options!

Anyway, my questions are these:

1. I'm currently A50 - is it probable that AC would give me SE for coming so close? When I was SE, I do remember them giving me SE for an extra year when I came close (90+ segments).

2. Is it worth trying to log some extra flights (possibly paid out of my own pocket) to hit SE.

3. What are the most cost effective ways to get a few extra segments?

Thanks for your ideas!

2. The Winger
    Original Member

The Winger Silver Member

Status Points:
    guinnessxyz likes this.
  3. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    ....Great....for some reason I had in my mind that it was 100. I should be able to hit 95.

mtlfire and guinnessxyz like this.
  4. You should be sure to do so. While the weather is good take some flights that have more segments in them for the same price. For example you can always go YUL/YOW/YYZ on the same fare basis. There are other exampls of course like YYZ/YEG/YYC as another example. Get some insurance just in case;)

5. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just booked a couple EWR-YUL-YYZ - no additional cost but 2 segments instead of 1! I may do this a couple of times until I get well within sight of 95 segments.

tomh009, YULtide and guinnessxyz like this.
  6. perfect approach to getting there

7. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are they still offering double miles for flying YUL-YYZ? May as well take them even though you're doing this for the segments.

guinnessxyz likes this.
  8. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see that Altitude has retained October 15 as the early recognition date, so I'll make sure I hit 75 segments before then:

"Members who have reached their qualifying miles/segments prior to October 15, 2013 are eligible for Early Recognition. These members will be invited to choose their Select Privileges and will enjoy that status immediately for the rest of the benefit year. They will also enjoy that status for the following year’s benefit period. For example, over the course of 2013 if an Altitude Prestige 25K member reaches Altitude Elite 35K by October 15, 2013, the member will be invited to choose his/her Select Privileges and will enjoy the Altitude Elite 35K status immediately for the remainder of 2013 as well as in 2014."

guinnessxyz likes this.
  9. They are still offering double miles

YULtide likes this.
  10. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    ....just noticed....a flight from EWR-YUL-YYZ was $200 less than EWR-YUL. I forgot this quirk.

YULtide likes this.