Advice on Malaysia- Singapore

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by colt245, Nov 25, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. colt245

colt245 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi All,

I once posted in the 'Destination Travel' Section and don't think it received any responses, so i'll post over here another query. (I am thinking and planning ahead, but looking to book around Feb time)

I would love to go to Malaysia or Singapore, or both! I would have a 2 week window in order to travel, and would be looking at going in June, (yes thinking in advance) but any other trips prior to then I will most likely be booking very last minute.
    Firstly, would the weather be favorable in Malaysia in June? Would obviously prefer to have sunny glorious weather, so what have been other peoples experiences? Would a week in Malaysia and a week in Singapore be ok? Obviously won't be able to go all around Malaysia or Singapore, but 3/4 places preferably.

My intention was that I could visit some idyllic beaches in Malaysia and have a relaxing break then enjoy a bit of the city life in Singapore. Also would be flying from the UK. London most probably.

Would love to hear some responses.

Thanks

Sweet Willie and Flyer1976 like this.
  2. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm eager to read the answers you will get. I was just asking my wife about an hour ago if she knew anyone who had been to Singapore because I'd like to go there for a family trip (me, wife, 2 kids). Unlike you, though, I was thinking about going this winter to escape the cold for a little while. ;)

Sweet Willie likes this.
  3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I lived in Kuala Lumpur for three months and traveled extensively in Malaysia & Singapore for NGO work.

June is a pretty hot & humid month to be in cushy Southeast Asia so be prepared for the weather! ;)

Since you're interested in idyllic beaches in Malaysia I would recommend looking at Langkawi and Borneo. Most of the beaches in Malaysia and Singapore have dirty brown water from the mud so it wouldn't be worthwhile. I know Phuket is rather touristy but there's some redeemable beaches in Thailand that's worth checking out.

Hope that helped a bit!

4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    In Kuala Lumpur, I highly suggest a visit to the Batu Caves
    Singapore = Asia for Dummies (I don't mean this in a disparaging way) Singapore is very easy to get around, clean, English is widely spoken, so a very easy Asian destination for first timers.
    I'd give Singapore 4 days max, use the extra time to travel elsewhere in Malaysia.

Singapore Flyer likes this.
  5. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    A week in Singapore is between 6 and 6.5 days more than needed, in my opinion. Malaysia is a varied and fascinating country and has just as remarkable a food scene (the main thing that I find interesting about Singapore), especially in Malacca.

Especially if you are a tea-drinking Brit (but even if not), try to spend a day or two in the tea-growing highlands.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  6. colt245

colt245 Silver Member

Status Points:
    thanks for all your responses! If Singapore only really needs 4 days then could try incorporate more places in Malaysia, love love south indian food, which is another reason to want to go, as well as culture. I was also considering Sri Lanka, but would rather stay in regions that won't take up too much travel time. I have read up about Langkawi beaches, which sounded great. I have been to Thailand and loved it, would want to visit more islands in the South as I only got to visit Koh Tao, Koh Samui and Koh Phanghan for a few days each. Would not go back to Koh Phanghan, no need to be around party goers for the full moon - it's been and done! But would love to go to Phuket! Decisions Decisions! Which is why I need to try plan ahead. CC1972 I've been looking at smaller city breaks for this winter, trying to find some good deals for Prague, no so much escaping the winter as hurdling head first into it!

cc1972 likes this.
  7. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    just be careful of the pick pocketing monkeys. They are fierce. 4-5 days in SG is enough for most. Food and exploring are the top reason to go to SEA.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

colt245 likes this.