Advice on London Trip; Using First Class Lounge at Heathrow

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by THREEA4ME, Feb 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. THREEA4ME
    Original Member

THREEA4ME Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi -- I land at Heathrow Sat Feb 26 in the AM on a VIP upgrade and, as Exec Plat, can use the one world lounges. I've heard Heathrow First lounge is he best and was wondering how do I exactly get there upon landing? Usually, after you clear customs, you are SOL because you have to re-enter security to use the lounges, so does someone know how you actually are able to use the BA First Lounge?

Secondly, on debating hotels, was thinking of staying my last night at the Sofitel Hotel in Terminal 5. Anyone stay there? The only snag would be taking the tube to Heathrow around 11p or midnight the previous night. Not sure if that is safe/easy/convenient to do.

Other tips about getting in and out of London and things to do in mid-February freeze would be greatly appreciated -- great restaurant finds a bonus, of course.

2. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can use the AA arrivals lounge and that is the only arrivals lounge available to you, IIRC. Your answer may be better answered in the AA forum. Joanek just stayed at the Sofitel and really liked it. My take on the arrivals lounge is, meh. Great if you are really sweaty or need to get ready for a meeting in London, if you are casual tourist and your hotel may have a room ready for you, skip it and go into London. The food is meh and then coffee ever meh-er (if that is a term).

3. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    We have a London restaurant thread going in the Europe forum... if you go to the specific travel destinations, you'll see the thread I started. I'm on my way there now and hope to update it with my comments when I return on Monday!

4. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can only use the BA Flounge on departure from T5. As Lalala says, the only arrivals lounge you'll have available is AA's at T3. I don't think it's as bad as all that, but it's not the Ritz. (The BA arrivals lounge in T5, on the other hand, is fab in comparison. Unfortunately you have to show a BA BP to get in.)

You might look at Pricelining a hotel at LHR for the night before. I've never spent more than US$100 for a 4-star hotel at LHR.

5. chgoeditor
    Original Member

chgoeditor Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've used the AA arrivals lounge and it's pleasant enough...you can shower, etc., get breakfast and check your email.

Re. getting into and out of London, where are you heading? Both the Tube and Heathrow Express are fast & less expensive than cabs. Which you pick really depends on a combo of your destination, budget & desired speed.

6. THREEA4ME
    Original Member

THREEA4ME Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking at staying at the Hotel Indigo the first day -- friends and family rate is 87 pounds a night -- it's in Paddington. a) Is that easy to get to from Heathrow? Debating whether to stay there both nights for that rate or to stay at Heathrow my second night (although my flight does not depart LHR til 1p, I wanted to check out the BA First Lounge in T5 -- b) I'm assuming I fly out of T5 on the return? LHR-DFW?). Any help or tips to these questions and restaruants around Paddington (I'll check out London thread, thanks!) is most appreciated.

7. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    Terminal 3 if you are flying on AA. First lounge is v. Nice there. I think I like it better than term. 5.

8. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The sofitel is very nice, close and easy, but serious $$$. Last time I was transiting it was 425$ a night on a weekday and I just said no. (i've also read that food at the Sofitel is very $$ too) I chose to stay at the Sheraton which is about seven minutes away with the hoppa hotel bus which costs 4 BP or 9$ US (they take US$) to ride each way. Bus comes regularly every 20 minutes I think. Very easy to get to, but you'll pass the Sofitel on the way. hotel was fine, quite, big bath, food was pretty good, free access to club lounge (which isn't much to write home about) but for an overnight it was fine. Also, the hotel can arrange a private car for you for I think 12 BP, so if you are more than 2.5 people the price is the same as the hoppa bus.

9. chgoeditor
    Original Member

chgoeditor Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're staying at a hotel in/near Paddington, then you definitely want to take the Heathrow Express. Off the top of my head, it costs about about 20 pounds (15-25 pounds depending on class of service) one way vs. a few pounds for the tube, but it's non-stop/much faster. Paddington is north (central) London, so it's a fair number of stops if you're taking the Tube (Heathrow is southwest of the city, so you're essentially going diagonally across the city).

I haven't stayed at an airport hotel, but one of my friends has and has enjoyed it. (Not sure which one he's stayed at.)

Have you been to London before? If so, I'd suggest two nights in the city. If London is old hat to you, maybe do the second night at Heathrow. (I love London & would always choose the city over Heathrow, but that's me.)

10. THREEA4ME
    Original Member

THREEA4ME Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have my answer: I'm typing in the BA First lounge at T3, having had a massage, shower, superb breakfast and some great champagne. I went down the corridor to the Flagship Lounge at American and it's like test driving a Ford Fiesta after just driving a Ferrari. BA's lounge is superior in every single respect, including one of the most important, VIBE. The chill factor is second to none in here. Love the layout. If you have the chance, go for it.

11. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Comtes de Champagne '99 - I could drink it all day. Much better than
    the Bruno Paillard rosé stuff, which tastes like pond water by
    comparison, and I don't even have a steak in this discussion.

12. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points: