Advice on hotel options in Bali, Indonesia

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by lichenlt, Apr 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm going to take my family to Bali Island. I'm currently looking at Westin and W, Intercontinental, and Conrad.

Westin and Conrad are both moderate in points pricing, though Conrad is cheaper than Westin.

Intercontinental is ridiculously expensive:(

W is sort of in the middle if I redeem cash+points.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.:D

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    We stayed at the Conrad several years ago and loved it. But I have nothing to compare it to. I am sure there others who can offer more qualified advice :). In fact, I'd be interested in that myself.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've seen the Westin and it seems like a good choice for kids. I would not expect the W to be family friendly; for example, their swimming pools are basically singles bars, not a place for children to splash around. The Westin has some sort of a kids club, kiddie pools, a slide, and playground areas.

lichenlt likes this.
  4. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    We left the south and Nusa Dua and headed up over the mountains to Pemuteran. (About a five hour drive) Stayed at a private villa, practiced speaking bahasa with locals, great scuba only 10m from the shore, and didn't regret it a bit. PM for info.

5. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed at the Westin back when it was still a Sheraton and it was very family friendly. I would expect Conrad and the IC to be similar. The Westin is located in Nusa Dua, which is a gated area with a bunch of resorts with very clean and safe sidewalks and streets, some people say this is not real Bali, I do tend to agree, but it could be the best option if traveling with a family. The surrounding areas of the Conrad, the IC, and the W are a bit more local.

The beach at the Conrad and the Westin is very family friendly too because of the reef that will break down strong waves. The beaches at both the IC and the W tend to have higher waves, but you can view Bali's spectacular sunset from here.

TRAVELSIG and lichenlt like this.
  6. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone, looks like Westin and Conrad is taking a lead. They are actually quite comparable in terms of the pricing and being family friendly. I'll have to think about it a little bit more. Keep the advice coming if anyone else has anything to offer. Thanks again.

cennas likes this.
  7. General_Flyer
    Original Member

General_Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Try looking at the Sanur area hotels. Its a bit out of the way, but maybe worth your time.. :)

TRAVELSIG, cennas and lichenlt like this.
  8. Status Traveller

Status Traveller Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm staying at the Conrad next time I visit and just plan to chill out at the resort.
    I have read you get excellent treatment as a HHonors Diamond.

lichenlt likes this.
  9. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Too bad I'm merely a Gold :(

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    When we stayed there, I was just a basic HHonors member (it was before I stumbled into this mess called Flyertalk/Milepoint that's now suck up tons of time :D). At check-in they offered cash upgrade to the club level. This was my first experience with a club, and it changed my life ;) It took them maybe half a day to learn our names and preferences, and after that it was "Oh, welcome back Mr. HaveMilesWillTravel, here's your double espresso" etc. etc. Just wonderful people all over the hotel, not just club.

11. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dude, you are pushing me to the edge of a steep cliff here;) . Sounds like a good place to have some quality time with family. And it's actually cheaper than the SPG properties on the island.:D

TRAVELSIG and Status Traveller like this.
  12. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just realized that Grand Hyatt Bali is only a Cat-3 hotel. Anybody had any experience with this property?

For 18,000 points I can get a suite, is this a good deal?

or how about the 95,000 points for 5-night with breakfast and dinner? Is this in a suite or standard room?

13. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    TRAVELSIG and lichenlt like this.
  14. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would suggest checking for recent reviews on Trip Advisor.....

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  15. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm.. I am planning a trip to Bali after not having been there for many years.

I have talked also with 2 friends who have recently lived there, and their feedback is:

Stay away from Nusa Dua and Puta- Nusa Dua similar to a gated community in Palm Springs and Puta a mess in the peak seasons.

That being said- if necessary to stay in the "centre of things"- then consider Seminyak- where the W is as well as an M-Gallery property (which used to be the Sofitel) and the Legian among other options (the Legian seemingly very expensive in peak season).

Most people enjoy more Ubud than the beach- and the beaches in Thailand for example are much nicer in general than on this area of Bali. Ubud has a lot of very interesting choices in many budget ranges.

I am quite sure the Westin used to be a Sheraton when I was previously there- if so it was nothing really that great.

From here if anyone wants to post as they learn- and of course all the considerable knowledge of mp- will be great to have some discussion.

The W appears to be very crowded from the photos I have seen- although it is directly on the beach at Seminyak and apparently the Sunday brunch is supposed to be fun if a bit rowdy.

cennas likes this.
  16. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at the GH Bali for the past 2 years and will stay there again this August. It's a very nice hotel, but very big, some rooms require walking of up to 10-15 mins from/to the lobby. If you can get a room at the Club Wing, it's nicer than other rooms and generally closer to the lobby. Your kids will love the pool area as it's got a very addictive slide. The beach is good, clean and safe.

The Bali Hyatt in Sanur is a much older property, but it's a Cat 1 property. Everything is inferior to the GH except the service, which is among the best that I've experienced at any hotel anywhere.

Let me know if you need the local emails of GH Bali/Bali Hyatt.

17. jpripcord

jpripcord Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the advice in this thread...keep it coming

I'm in a different boat, in that I'm going to Bali for 5 nights with my fiance in November (we booked the trip last night)

We're looking for "romantic luxury" if that is such a term. Thinking about the W or the Conrad. I'm Diamond w/ Hyatt and Plat with Marriott, but those properties don't look very special to me.

The St. Regis looks awesome, but we're doing Bora Bora for our honeymoon, and I think that we'd be burning too many SPG points in Bali to make our Bora Bora if we went that route.

18. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Legian (GHM) looks beautiful if a bit pricey at Seminyak.

The Four Seasons at Jimbran Bay apparently has a stay five pay four special on for some upcoming periods.

I am actually now thinking about going to the Phillipines and amanpulo as the rates on Bali are a lot higher than I remember.

19. jpripcord

jpripcord Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the heads up, i'll check out the four seasons. As of now, I'm leaning towards the W in Seminyak. Anyone have personal experience at that hotel?

20. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
  21. White7000

White7000 New Member

Status Points:
  22. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been looking into Bali hotels for a trip next year. It looks like Le Meridian is opening up sometime later this year and Westin Ubud at the end of the year. There's also a Courtyard there as well which doesn't look too bad.

23. chrisgayle885

chrisgayle885 Active Member

Status Points:
    Our favorite hotels and restaurants of Bali – Ubud, Amed, Seminyak, Pemuter

Our favorite hotels and restaurants of Bali – Ubud, Amed, Seminyak, Pemuteran – 2012

$1 = ~9,000 Rp 2012
    $1 = ~10,000 Rp 2009

We traveled to Bali six times since 1996. We base ourselves in Ubud, taking beach excursions to Amed or Pemuteran for a few days during each visit. We don’t spend much time in the Kuta/Seminyak/Sanur area, but for people looking to party those are the best bases.

eaches

Sanur, Seminyak, Jimbaran, Kuta
    South, near the airport. These places are international party and vacation zones with beautiful beaches. Jimbaran is famous for fresh seafood. You’ll find great restaurants and any kind of fast food. Boutique stores. Lots of bars and clubs. Gay bars in Seminyak.

Amed
    Northeast coast. Quiet, rural, beach accommodations. Great snorkeling off the beach. Great diving nearby. A few restaurants—try “The Grill.”

Pemuteran
    Northwest coast. National Parks above and beneath the water. Tremendous snorkeling at Menjangan Island or off the beach. Quiet, rural area. Dry and weaker economy. Nice resorts, but not a lot of choice. Private villas for rent.

Lembongan Island
    I haven’t been, but you might want to read up on it.

Hills + culture

Ubud and surrounding villages (Peliatan, Sayan, Mas, etc.)
    Central hills. Hotel rooms with incredible views for $100, great views for $40 or less. Always lush foliage. Rice field and ridge trekking. Vibrant arts scene with impressive museums. Temple festivals and public cremation ceremonies. Authentic cultural performances every night. Great restaurants. No chain restaurants (except Starbucks) or billboards! Local boutiques and good shopping. Prices lower than Kuta?

Drive time from Airport to Ubud—45-60 min. (90 min. in traffic)

Ubud to Seminyak—45-60 min. Ubud to Amed---2.5 to 3 hrs. Ubud to Pemuteran—3.5 to 4 hours.

Ubud

Ubud Hotels

Sayan Terrace Resort
    mailto:info@sayanterraceresort.com
    Jl. Raya Sayan, Ubud, Bali
    Tel: (62 361) 974 384, Fax: (62 361) 975 384

As usual, in Februrary 2012 we spent our first week in a very special place, Sayan Terrace Resort (just outside of Ubud). The views and energy are spectacular there. Room 110 has the best view, then 111. The owners are planning major renovation and expansion, so check on the status of construction when booking. See our 2004 notes below for more on the hotel.

The hotel only has a small pool, but if you want to swim laps, you can pay for a day pass for the big pool at Taman Bebek, right next door.

Sayan Terrace is a bit out of Ubud and requires transport. The hotel charges $4-5 per trip into town. Ubud is bikeable, though the roads can be hazardous. For a family, it might make sense to book a driver for a few hours, or to have him on call. Meet someone with a car you like (they are everywhere as you walk the streets), get a ride back to the hotel and make conversation, and get his business card with mobile number. He’d love to become your regular chauffeur.

tommy777, Sweet Willie and harvson3 like this.
  24. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    We spent some time at the Sheraton in Nusa Dua, seeing as we had just got over some long travel to get to Bali we were quite happy to relax in a familiar western chain hotel with the service that comes along with it. However after a few days Nusa Dua could be most any tropical destination, there really isn't any Balinese flavor.

So we left Nusa Dua and went north to Ubud, we stayed at Alam Shanti www.alamindahbali.com/alam_shanti.htm the group that runs this property runs a few others in Ubud. Alam Shanti has a spa at the entrance of the property where Mrs Sweet Willie & I had nightly late night massages for <$20.
    The breakfast that was served to our room in the mornings is terrific.

I can't highly recommend enough to get out of Nusa Dua or the other typical western resort areas of Bali, at least for part of your trip.