Advice on Finding BA Award Availability?

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by Ed Chandler, Dec 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey, all,

I'm having a terrible time using BA's availability tool to locate flight availability. I don't have any particular trip in mind ... just horsing around with my options after the wife and I both jumped on the 100k points deal. Great, right? But now how do you spend them? Departing ORD the availability map only shows 7 destinations no matter how I change the filters. What's up?

By extension, how do I find BA award availability on partner flights? I have a specific set of flights in mind for this one. I've got some round-trip domestic travel next year so I'm curious how I might be able to use Avios for that.

I'm not a frequent traveler, so solutions that require spendy subscriptions to services probably aren't the way I'd like to go. I'm fine with "call and ask", but there has to be a way to figure this out on the cheap. I don't mind clicking around, just need to know where.

Thanks.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd recommend starting here where thepointsguy gives a fantastic walkthrough on how to use BA miles. Unfortunately some of it is a bit outdated because of the avios change, but it should give you the skills necessary to search for more BA and partner award flights on your own.

With domestic travel on AA, it's easy. Just login and go to executive club > spending avios > book flights with avios and search. After you click search, click the big red "include partners" button or the "search" button on the left under partner airlines.

Good luck!

3. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

Hmm, that's precisely what I was doing, and I'm finding results I consider to be suspect. For example, if you search BA for partner award seats (as you describe above) from ORD to SAN on AUG 07 returning AUG 13, you get nothing. If you shift forward or back 7 days, ... still nothing. However, if you search AA for AAdvantage redemptions using the same dates, there's a stack of seats.

I'm perfectly willing to believe that I'm doing something wrong, but I can't seem to figure out what it is. Anyone?

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  4. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just checked and I see 0 Economy milesAAver awards for those dates, but there are business/first milesaaver awards. BA can't get AAnytime awards, but you're going to find the AA business/first milesaaver awards @ First class redemptions levels on BA.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ah, ha! Bingo! That was what I was doing wrong. Thanks so much!

Just so I'm sure I understand, ... because the only available reward seats on AA were in the Business/First class, I had to search that way on BA in order to find them, right? (Makes sense.) Since I had only been searching BA for economy class seats, it rightly returned zero inventory.

Okay, next question ... you said that BA can't find AAnytime award seats, so does that mean that BA awards on AA metal will always cost the first-class rate? Asked another way, under what circumstances would I be able to book an economy award with BA on AA metal for domestic US travel?

Thanks again. Love this...

6. pdb

pdb Silver Member

Status Points:
    When there are MilesAAver economy award seats available on the AA segments.

7. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Excellent. Thank you.

8. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now you have to let us know where you're going!