Advice on Extra vs. Business

Discussion in 'SAS | EuroBonus' started by Ronnie Hansen, Jan 2, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Ronnie Hansen

Ronnie Hansen Active Member

Status Points:
    Doing CPH-BNA in early march '13, and need some advice. Planning business or eco extra, but thinking about skipping SAS this time, as my last Extra travel with SAS from BKK was nothing out of the ordinary. Did Extra from EWR with UA last week, and that was really way better for an economy premium I feel.

However, now AC is also showing up with a good connection, 1 stop (which BNA will always be).

What would you choose for Eco Extra AC, UA or SAS - and would you pay the extra thousands for business vs. Eco Extra?

I guess the influence on my milage on Eurobonus is not that much of a difference?

2. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    It really depends on you budget. Economy extra gives you extra service, a wider seat, etc. at a price tag significantly above cheap economy. Economy plus with UA cost about $100 per transatlantic crossing on top of your original economy fare. If you can fly on cheap economy fares, then UA's combo is significantly cheaper than the SAS combo. If you fly of expensive tickets, then go with SAS for the extra service, etc. If you are prepared to pay for business, then you should always pick AC's or UA's flat bed over SAS's slanted crap seat. Do notice that these carriers often have fare sales where it doesn't matter which of them you choose for you transatlantic crossing.

On another note. I much prefer flying over YYZ or ORD when going towards CPH, as those flights leave sufficiently late that I can fall asleep and they arrive later in CPH, thus the day of jet lag is shorter than the other options.

Ronnie Hansen and sobore like this.
  3. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh, and if you want value for your miles then get the hell out of Eurobonus. United Mileage Plus has much cheaper star alliance awards.

Ronnie Hansen likes this.
  4. Ronnie Hansen

Ronnie Hansen Active Member

Status Points:
    That's good points. I've actually grown quite found of United during the last year. Will running intra-european flights on SAS and Lufthansa still work really well with me on the mileage plus scheme?

5. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    It depends on your flying pattern. Lufthansa takes really good care of their high rollers and SAS does have extra benefits for Eurobonus Gold members. If you fly more than 50k miles a year, then UA will give you star gold. There are benefits of having status with the operating carrier, so you will have to put a value on those benefits. For instance SAS fast track on an economy tickets is only for EuroBonus gold members. Now, SAS fast track is often as slow as the general line, so I would compare earning and burning rates and your likely status level within the program (remember that UA requires 4 segments on UA metal to get/maintain UA status).

Oh, and United economy plus is free for UA Silver (at check-in) and above (at booking), so that might save you real money.