Advice on checking a bag on two different PNRs

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Garp74, Nov 21, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I almost never check bags, and I've never checked a bag with different PNRs, so I am not familiar with the tips/tricks. This is an 11 day trip, and I can't fit my suits and everything into one bag to avoid checking a bag. Here's the situation:

I fly MRU -> JNB on PNR #1. The flight is operated by South African Airways. It lands in JNB at 6:15pm.

I then fly at 7:40pm (1 hour and 25 minutes later) from JNB->FRA on PNR#2. This flight is operated by Lufthansa.

Both flights operate out of JNB Terminal A. Given that check-in closes 45 minutes before the flight, should I:

1) Attempt to ask South African Airways in MRU to check my bag all the way through to my final destination, even though it involves a separate PNR?

2) Attempt to retrieve my bags in the 45 minutes I have between scheduled landing and the close of check-in, then check my bags somehow with Lufthansa?

Any advice appreciated!

Newscience likes this.
  2. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Choice 1 is your best bet. SAA should be able to do it. Just have both tickets handy.

3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Pack less and dry clean at hotel. Mix and match multiple suit jackets with same pants and clean pants more frequently to save space. Or, buy underwear when you arrive. :p

4. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    p.S. I do it all the time with UA, and some other carrier.

FWIW
    (this benefit is somewhat going away if you check bags on two different PNR's ...AND...not connecting to a Star Carrier from UA)

Newscience likes this.
  5. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Alright, thanks @snod08 and @Pizzaman - I'll take both pieces of advice. Packing now and it's challenging. (Normally I can pack in 4 minutes - because I'm a guy. This is a whole new level of packing.)

6. CGK
    Original Member

CGK Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do this all the time also. Just have SA check your bag all the way through at MRU. They will need your connecting PNR, so have your reservation handy.

7. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Consider sending the bag ahead of you to your hotel and avoid all the potential issues.

Newscience and Pizzaman like this.